View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Seriously Silly?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:21 pm 
born to perform.

How is Silly Billy's book? I want to get into kidshows and I just read Kidbiz, and to be honest, I didn't like it so much. The only really valuable thing I got from it was the "magician in trouble syndrome." Some of the gags were okay too, but overall I didn't think it was a great book. I DID, however, like Creative Kidtalk. I also plan on reading, professional children's magic, but enough with the tangent. In short, I don't want to spend almost 50 dollars on a book I won't get a lot out of. Could someone give me a bit of a review/itinerary for what is in the book and what they got out of it? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:52 pm 
born to perform.

Professional children's magic is one of the first books I read on kids magic, it is a great book and I recommend it!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:35 pm 
born to perform.

Okay I'm definitely getting that, thanks Mike. But how about Seriously Silly? Or would that be too much to digest at one time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:22 pm 
born to perform.

haven't read it yet. but my magic teacher and the shop owner both gave it their highest regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:52 am 
Team Penguin

Silly Billy is somewhat overrated...or at least I heard from several people that have met him.

They told me that he wrote this big elaborate article about himself and how great he was to put into magazines...so he talked himself up and was then hired to do a lecture at a convention. He arrived and simply did not know what to talk about. Many people were dissappointed with him.

His book is a little too expensive in my eyes...I don't see giving $50 for a book on kidshows...there are many more out there that are just as good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:31 am 

Kyle, I'll have to respectfully disagree with your opinion on this one. I've read through Seriously Silly at least six times now, and each and every time, I find something new to think about. In my opinion, this book is a must have.

But you have to be very careful when reading this book. Don't just blindly copy his patter and routines. It probably won't fit your style. Use the tricks in the book as nothing more than examples to illustrate the points he is trying to make. Then, apply that theory to your own personality.

Even though David Kaye may not be a tremendous personality on the lecture circuit, there is no doubting his performing experience and success as a children's entertainer. He consistently does between 400 to 500 shows a year, with some of his clients being very well known Hollywood celebrities.

Kent

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:09 am 
born to perform.

I agree magicman845,
I got the book and it is really great in showing how to add silly to your show. I don't recommend it for new comers that first hasn't read other books that starts you from the warm up thru the entire show. But once you have an idea how to put on a show I think the book is excellent. Is it to high to pay for a book..yes.. But I am always looking for an edge. The book was highly recommended from one of the organizations I belong to so I got it.
He has a great coloring book routine and the TT skit he has he shows how to do it for three different age groups. Which is also really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:57 am 
Penguin

KyletheGreat wrote:
His book is a little too expensive in my eyes...I don't see giving $50 for a book on kidshows...there are many more out there that are just as good.

I'd have to agree with this one. $50 bucks for a book? Sounds like college text books! He seems over-rated and trying to make a small fortune off the kid world!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:18 pm 
born to perform.

magicfun wrote:
KyletheGreat wrote:

I'd have to agree with this one. $50 bucks for a book? Sounds like college text books! He seems over-rated and trying to make a small fortune off the kid world!

He seems overrated? Well, he is the top-earning kids show magician in NYC, and he is consistently booked by celebrities and other affluent folks who gladly fork over $500-$1000 or more for his services. He's doing something right, huh?

And if you can't afford a $50 investment into your career or side-business, then maybe you should be bagging groceries instead. You should easily see a return of 3-4 times that investment with only one booking, if you learn from his book and improve your show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:58 pm 
Team Penguin

Pangea,

I did not say that I couldn't afford it. I said that the price is a little steep for a kidshow book. And just because he is one of the most popular/ successful kidshow magicians does not mean that his book can improve everyones show. Everyone uses different methods and Silly Billy's methods don't work for everyone. From what I hear, it is a good book...but I felt like giving my two cents worth. I have heard a lot about silly billy and how he builds himself up to other magicians...just like an article that was written about him and how fabulous his show and lecture was, then he was booked later for a lecture at a kidshow gathering and didn't know what in the world to talk about or teach when he got there...turns out, he wrote the article himself and expected other magicians to believe him in order to book him for lectures and such...when in reality he was not even prepared! Sure, I know this has nothing to do with his kidshow but sheesh! That is one of the reasons I said he was SOMEWHAT overated...I never said he was TOTALLY OVERATED. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:00 pm 

He was talking to the person he quoted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:05 pm 
Team Penguin

o...k...well the way I read it...I thought he was talking to both of us...I guess we will find out shortly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:48 pm 
born to perform.

KyletheGreat wrote:
o...k...well the way I read it...I thought he was talking to both of us...I guess we will find out shortly...

Yeah, I can't wait! The suspense is killing me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:39 pm 

Pangea,

Please tone down the sarcasm. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and they should be free to express them without becoming the subject of needless ridicule. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:58 am 
born to perform.

magicman845 wrote:
Pangea,

Please tone down the sarcasm. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and they should be free to express them without becoming the subject of needless ridicule. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Kent

True, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But this kind of thinking - “$50 for a book?” - is contributing to the younger generations poor magic ethics.

Many young magicians are misguided. They have a distorted vision of value. Take this example...

Instant Download - $5-$10
An average of 1 effect and maybe a couple sleights.

DVD - $25-$40
An average of 5-15 effects and sleights.

Book - $20-$50
Some books contain 30, 40, 50 or more effects and sleights (some have hundreds). Often, books also contain essays, theories, and more details on the history of the particular effects and sleights included.

If people only realized the true value of books, I think the magic world would be better as a whole.