View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:31 pm 

I agree with you. It's just that we have to be careful of how we say things. In forums like this it's too easy to have our message misunderstood. Thanks

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:04 pm 

pangea wrote:
...He (silly Billy) seems overrated? Well, he is the top-earning kids show magician in NYC, and he is consistently booked by celebrities and other affluent folks who gladly fork over $500-$1000 or more for his services. He's doing something right, huh?...

I keep hearing this about Silly Billy. But the only person I hear it from is Silly Billy. Could it be that all his "celebrity" gigs consist of maybe one or two, only and the rest is all hype. I am not accusing anyone of anything but when I hear that "I entertain all the kids of all the stars," I begin to wonder.

I have done gigs for some very rich and locally famous people. I get return gigs from them and calls from their friends for one reason. I don't advertize my clients names. The funny thing is that I was going to do that and add some of the names of local TV stars that I entertained on my web site but before I did someone called me and booked a party. She told me that she got my name from a celebrity that was just so happy that I did not use her name as a "stepping stone" and use it in my ads.

I have bought some of Silly Billy's stuff and what I have seen, it is over rated. I would get things from Dave Ginn before Silly Billy any day.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:15 pm 

That's an interesting point. Silly Billy is supposed to come to a nearby City in 2006 to lecture. I'll probably attend. If so, I'll be sure to give everyone a detailed review of his lecturing and performing style. Let's see if he's as good as his billing. :lol:

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:35 pm 
Team Penguin

paddy wrote:
I have bought some of Silly Billy's stuff and what I have seen, it is over rated. I would get things from Dave Ginn before Silly Billy any day.

Peter

I totally agree. The good thing about David Ginn is the fact that he has done everything that he tells you he has. He is a great guy and doesn't mislead people with streatched and exadurated advertising brought about by his own ego. David is a good ol' country boy. Born and raised in Georgia. He was raised to be better than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:17 pm 

I went to one of David Ginn's lectures this year and, quite frankly, I was a little disappointed with it. 90% of the lecture was nothing more than a product sales pitch. There was some interesting theory as well, but it was all pretty basic stuff. It was a little frustrating to have driven 3 hours (each way) to attend a sales pitch. I could have gotten the same stuff off of his web site.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have a tremendous amount of respect for David Ginn and his accomplishments. But now I know I'll get more from his books than his lectures.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:53 pm 
born to perform.

pangea wrote:
magicman845 wrote:
Pangea,

Please tone down the sarcasm. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and they should be free to express them without becoming the subject of needless ridicule. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Kent

True, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But this kind of thinking - “$50 for a book?” - is contributing to the younger generations poor magic ethics.

Many young magicians are misguided. They have a distorted vision of value. Take this example...

Instant Download - $5-$10
An average of 1 effect and maybe a couple sleights.

DVD - $25-$40
An average of 5-15 effects and sleights.

Book - $20-$50
Some books contain 30, 40, 50 or more effects and sleights (some have hundreds). Often, books also contain essays, theories, and more details on the history of the particular effects and sleights included.

If people only realized the true value of books, I think the magic world would be better as a whole.

i would change book to $10. There are plenty of books that go for 10 that are really good. There is bobo's and many, many, many others.

ben winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:44 am 
Team Penguin

magicman845,

almost any lecture you attend by most magicians tend to be sales pitches...things are always for sale after lectures. Videos, notes, props, etc. Throughout the lectures, magicians show great ways to use these items and try to sell them to you if you do not already have them.

There has only been one magician I have seen do a lecture and not sell stuff ...and his name was Stephen Bargatze...and it was without a doubt...the best and most touching lecture I have ever seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:15 am 

Kyle,

I realize that the BOR sales are part of the lecture. In fact, I look forward to spending some money after the lecture. But, in addition to the BOR there should be a lecture! We should be able to learn something valuable from the magician above and beyond the tricks he is selling. In this case, there really wasn't any lecture at all.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:39 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:

Well, I have a few Ginn items as well as Kaye's. Ginn's KidBiz was my first book on children's magic, and I recommend it highly. I just don't see anything wrong with expanding your material and reading about what works for other people. I don't do any of Silly Billy's routines from Seriously Silly, but I did use a few ideas from his routines, and applied them to my own current routines. If you can improve your show to any degree, from reading a particular book, I think that makes the book worth the asking price (within reason of course).

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:42 pm 
born to perform.

The one that does the biggest sales pitch during his lectures is Harry Allen from Daytona magic.
It's like "alright already, we know you are selling this but please!."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:42 pm 

paddy wrote:
pangea wrote:
...He (silly Billy) seems overrated? Well, he is the top-earning kids show magician in NYC, and he is consistently booked by celebrities and other affluent folks who gladly fork over $500-$1000 or more for his services. He's doing something right, huh?...

I keep hearing this about Silly Billy. But the only person I hear it from is Silly Billy. Could it be that all his "celebrity" gigs consist of maybe one or two, only and the rest is all hype. I am not accusing anyone of anything but when I hear that "I entertain all the kids of all the stars," I begin to wonder.

Well, his book seems to have been very well reviewed by several people in the magic industry, and he was given a very positive interview in Magic Magazine (reproduced on Billy's site):

http://www.sillybillymagic.com/magicarticle.htm

So I think it is unreasonable to believe that Silly Billy's reputation is just built on hype. Maybe what he does doesn't impress you, and maybe what he says doesn't fit your style, but many others have spoken highly of him.