View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:23 pm 
Team Penguin

If you don't like kids, and you don't like kidshows...then KIDSHOW IS NOT THE BUSINESS FOR YOU!

Find some other side of magic to earn money with that you actually enjoy. Your magic will be better, and so will your audience. Kidshows aren't for everyone you know. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:22 am 
Penguin

Pffft... I will do kid shows if the price is right. That is all there is to it.

That being said, outside of shows that I did as a favor to a friend, I have done exactly 1 paid kid show... and that was because I was doing a show at a convention and it was part of the deal. I live in a small town and there is a local magician by the name of Scott Grassette who is a fantastic kids magician. I send 90% of my kid show requests to him.

As far as me "whoring out" the "art"... all I have to say about that is a big PPPFFFFFT! Whatever. I do magic because I enjoy it, but It's also a second job and a boss is a boss is a boss. If they want a kid show and the price is right, then I am for hire. Most of the time the price isn't right.

Wash the sand out of your vagina and stop crying like a 5 year old girl with a skinned knee. As if I am somehow doing an injustice by it... hahaha, whatever! :roll:

Post subject: Re: '
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:25 am 
Penguin

sluggo wrote:
Darkside,
If you hate doing something then why do you do it?? cash. Pretty pathetic excuse. Kid shows aren't the easiest to do, that is why you don't like doing them I would guess. I can only imagine how bad your show's are.

Bad enough to perform all over Maine and open shows for people like Gary Crocker. Hopefully I will continue to suck this bad for a long, long time. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:43 am 
Team Penguin

Who's Gary Crocker??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:33 am 
Penguin

im wanting to start doing kid partys just cuz i love to see the look on there faces when you make the ball disapear or show them there card :D

and im wanding to know how i can get the word out that im doin partys
got any ideas :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:50 pm 
Team Penguin

THere is already a recent thread in this kidshow section that covers the topic of advertising...maybe you should check it out.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:22 pm 
born to perform.

Darkside,
You've done one kid show, I wouldn't say that is successful. From the sound of it you won't be getting a lot of shows by word of mouth. If you don't think your attitude about kids won't show thru think again.
Gary Crocker who???? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:15 pm 
Penguin

1) I said I have only DONE 1 paid kids show. I have been offered shows repeatedly and I turn them down, thanks.

2) Gary Crocker is a really well known Maine comedian, which worked well for me since my standard routine is a comdedy routine.

You can mouth off all you want, as if I am somehow doing something wrong, but the fact is that I will continue doing shows as I do them and I will continue doing kid shows for friends or for the right amount of $$. When you kids finally graduate highschool you can try convincing me I'm somehow wrong again, otherwise, unless your parents are cheap bastards, I'll probably see you at your next birthday party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:48 pm 
Team Penguin

I don't see what we are arguing over but you have made it clear you have done 1 count them 1, kidshow for money...

do you mind sharing why you turned down "all those others" that wanted you? Was it because you don't do/like kidshows...or because of something else?

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:04 pm 
born to perform.

I've been out of high school many years. It appears the only bastard in this conversation would be you darkside. Regardless what crap you give out, you've done ONE kid show.
You do comedy in your shows?? Yeah right, you sound like a really funny guy. :x
You sound more like a wanna be to most of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:11 am 
Penguin

KyletheGreat wrote:
I don't see what we are arguing over but you have made it clear you have done 1 count them 1, kidshow for money...

do you mind sharing why you turned down "all those others" that wanted you? Was it because you don't do/like kidshows...or because of something else?

That's pretty much it, I generally just don't like doing kids shows. It takes a completely different frame of mind to do kids shows as compared to my normal shows and I just don't enjoy doing them as much. I am certainly not someone you'd expect to do kids shows. Generally I'm a cynical [edited] and to really do a kid show justice I have to be in a great frame of mind. For the most part, the stress of trying to put myself into that frame of mind is not worth the effort involved.

The fact that I work all day with children with mental illness probably adds to the fact that when I am not at my real job, kids are the last thing I want to deal with.

When there is a fantastic kids magician right here in town, I don't see a point in doing them when I can just pass them off to him. I have done several shows for friends of mine, but I don't ask them to pay. If anything, they will kick in for a new trick or something so they feel better about it.

So to answer your question as to why I turn them down... it's because I can.

I have a mild form of agorophobia, so being on stage is stressfull for me to begin with. Having to be on stage performing for kids is even more so and unless I have a really good reason for it, I'm not going to get worked up over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:54 pm 
Penguin

Back to tables....
I use the case to table with the hat on the front. I regret not spending more money on the bigger velcro one, but it works anyway. I put my superman s style m logo on the front. I also have a foot locker trunk that stays open for most of the time with some string that keeps the lid from falling back. The trunk is for big stuff like my hand puppets house and run rabbit run, and mostly is a quick dumping ground to save time. The case/table has a number of shelves that I put the smaller props on in a certain order and medium stuff in the bottom. The thing is while in transit, the props are packed into the bottom, and when I setup I have to place them on the shelves. If I were to make my own table, they would be in the same position during transit and performance. Also holders for wands, balls, etc to stop them moving around. I move around a lot, but my ¨homebase" is between the two, so it sort of creates a frame around me and the spot where 1 volunteer stands. Multiple volunteers stand in front of the trunk. Filling the space discourages running around and makes it look better. Always have extra space. I have about 30mins of extra material in case they want more or a trick breaks, and I have an emergency kit (kitchen towel, needle n thread etc). Actually now I really want to go make a table. This is a much better thread than the old what tricks do you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:14 pm 
born to perform.

I use the table i built from MWCCIM. Mainly for small audiences

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:34 pm 
born to perform.

i use an altered/combined version of the mark wilson and ammar tables, and my tool case is on the floor next to it.