View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Please Respond
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:59 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys, I have a show to do the 19th of November, and I have my effects picked out, and I am purchasing the new material now. My questions is how do I deal with hecklers? I have picked up a few sucker effects to keep them quite, but the majority of the effects are regular effects. The show has a bunch of kids and adults, but what I'm worrying about are the few teens that are coming. I talked to the mother to get all the information needed, and I heard one of the girls talking in the background, and I could tell she was going to be a problem. I have some simple effects for kids, and some impressive effects for older audiences, but how can I keep the teens entertained, and keep them quiet?

Also, this will be my second show, and I'm a bit nervous, any suggestions to use to remain calm while performing?

BTW, I don't know about adding music, is a performance fine without music, or does it help to add some within the show?

I realize these questions may have been asked already, but please respond with answers, other than "Do a search." I thank every single person who responds with answers, thanks in advance!!! :D

Post subject: Re: Please Respond
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:13 pm 
born to perform.

Location: President of the davidcon fan club. (Always welcoming new members)
Magicmaniac1 wrote:
Hey guys, I have a show to do the 19th of November, and I have my effects picked out, and I am purchasing the new material now. Now? "Now" might be too late...

My question is, how do I deal with hecklers? just ignore them

Also, this will be my second show, and I'm a bit nervous, any suggestions to use to remain calm while performing? Take DEEEEP breaths

BTW, I don't know about adding music, is a performance fine without music, or does it help to add some within the show? It should help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:10 am 
Penguin

If there are some heckler teens or heckler kids if I were you I would would like say some thing kinna mean in a jokeing way for an example today I whent to a magic show for some notes because im kinna a newb to stage magic im more of card kind of guy and there was a kids that saw him do the secret and he yelled out the secret and the magicain screamed out "WOW YOU CAN TALK LOUD!!!" and it shut that kid up for the rest of show but it was still fun for him it wasnt like it hurt his feeling or any thing he just got the point that he better shut up O'ya the kids LOVE IT when you like well hmmmmm I guess kinnda yelling out at people to be quite but they hate yelling at some one to be quite they think its funny.If you feel nervouse about preforming on stage just do it! Get it over with and then you will feel good about then next time you wont even care about preforming and just remember more than half of the time you will NEVER see the people you preformed for agin and why be afraid/nervouse? if you mess up or do a great job its not like they are going to laugh or yell or kill you there is no resone at all to be nervouse.O'ya to keep the teens entertaned befor the show, show them a few card tricks or some thing so if you do a trick that they dont like instead of messing off they will be busy thinking about the trick.Music... how long is your show? 15-25 mins no music 30-60 mins yes music.If you are doing some thing dramatic add real fast music.The music that you play throw out the whole show sjould be some thing that you dont really notice its on like every once in a while you can hear it so they look at you instead of lisening to the music.

im sorry about like I spell you like u its a bad habbit I do. If you ever need any help msg and i will help you out c'ya I hope I help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:29 am 
Penguin

For teens watching a kid show there's a couple of things that work. Do entertainment that works for all ages. (The raccoon is good for this everone from 3-103 loves him).
Tell them not to spoil it for the younger ones. A quiet word before the show or a quick mention during, telling them that shouting out will spoil it for the 'wee ones' installs a sense of responsibility and they won't want to shout out because spoiling the show for the little'uns makes them look like a git.
George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:16 pm 
Team Penguin

Nobody can tell you how to deal with hecklers...you learn it yourself over time during shows after making mistakes and being heckled. You must be heckled to learn how to deal with these kind of people. You will see what I mean. All magicians deal with hecklers in different ways...and some just don't deal with them at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:33 pm 
Penguin

Thanks guys for the help, I really appreciate it! :D
BTW, about getting the new effects, I already have a full show ready, I thought I might add a couple of new effects.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:14 pm 
born to perform.

Just keep practicing your show and the more comfortable you get with it will help you to be less nervous. Also this is normal, the more shows you do the less it becomes.
What makes you nervous is your fear of failing, think positive and know your show will really help you.