View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kids and cards
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:11 am 
born to perform.

What alternatives to regular playing cards are out there that would appeal more to children? Ive realized that cards dont work on the 10- crowd, but perhaps there are cards more suitable for children so I can still do my card sleights?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:34 am 
Team Penguin

Children don't really care for card sleights and coin/ace assemblies too much...they would rather see a highly simple yet visible card trick that consists of a change (visual) or an extremely visual production of a chosen card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:54 am 

Try using a blank faced deck and have the child draw a picture on their chosen card. This way, you simplify the trick down as basic as possible, keep it visual for the child, and personalize the trick to make it memorable. Just a thought.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:52 pm 
born to perform.

i use two decks. they pick one, i tape it to the face of my table and use another deck to find the card. i dont find it though. i use my insurance policy. :lol: also, i tell them i own the world only mexican jumping deck. i tell them its like mexican jumping beans, in a deck. they dont belive me. i pick it up. (i put my middle finger under it and hold the deck down with my thumb) when i extend my middle finger, the deck "jumps" they laugh. the deck doesnt cooperate. i tell them the cards are jumpy today. i remove the rubberband and a card pops out (http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=643) that keeps happening. blah blah blah. they seem to like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:54 pm 
Penguin

Try not to think of card tricks in the traditional sense. Most likely, it will not be a case of doing tricks you normally do with different patter and different cards, but instead doing completely different tricks that you wouldnt do for adults. I had the same problem as you so I created a trick where the card part is not the central focus. Card is slipped forced and I try to find it several times, each time getting funnier angrier and messier. Then I bring out the emergency magic kit which is full of gags, like asking a magic 8 ball. None of this works and I give up and close the kit, showing a jumbo card on the back. It uses a lot of sight gags and not 5 minutes of them watching the cards in my hands. Just as a kid show is in general as compared to an adult show, a kids card trick should be 40% magic and 60% fooling around and just basically entertaining. Oh and by the way, if you can choose what card to use, I would suggest the 3 of hearts, kids can recognize it instantly and from a distance, and remember it. This applies to other things too, but if you want to change a card, dont do it in your hands, show card A and then throw a card so when it lands its card B. I guess Im trying to say get the cards out of your hands as much as possible and add action. Bicycles or whatever you use is fine, the focus is on the magic that happens around the cards, not the cards themselves. Good luck and remember that if done right, card tricks can be great for kids, so dont get discouraged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:56 pm 
born to perform.

yea those flashy things wil be underaprecciated by the young kids. I myself am trying to set up a kidshow routine and i think i have a good routine using cards. I think ill be generous today and share it with you.

The main idea will be a poker theme.
Ill say that in this game i will dish out 1 card to each person including me. Whoever get the hights card wins. Ill start dealing the cards and then be like wait! You know what alll great poker players wear? And they will be like No? And ill say, they all wear hats to hide thier expressions. So i will bring out some riddiculous looking hats make everybody wear them and procede. So i will one againstart to deal then be like wait. You need something else. and i will bring out some funny looking sunglasses. Finally i will deal out the cards. Im not sure how i will win but i will, and then say that even though i won we are all winers and let them keep the hats and glasses.
For the revealing part i might have the first guy get a 7 the next an 8 and so one and i will get a 13 (gaffcard) Or maybe ill lose and involve a slush powder routine ( if i lose we will dump this water on me) im not sure yet. But either way i think it sounds fun and it will be something the youngins will understand.

If you have any tips on the routine or critism or love it or hate it let me know it will be helpful.

Post subject: kids kards
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:00 am 
born to perform.

Location: In a Freakin shoe!!! Why you wanna fight about it!?! Huh?!! Do You!?! Be hating people in shoes?!!!
Like everybody said and I agree kids really arn't big into cards(4-8)but if you have to use a card trick this might sound funny to some (it does to me)use www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=899 kids kards.I mean think about it you can relate to them by talking about when you were their age and do some visual magic on them.They should love it if you get the patter down.---thesun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:17 am 
born to perform.

Thanks for all the advice. I did find some scooby doo cards at Wal-mart and have been practicing with them (they are difficult to work with because the color scheme makes the slightest error doing a DL obvious). However, after reading the suggestions here, I think Ill simply move away from the cards completely. No matter what trick I have tried, kids always end up liking "the red thing" (classic silk vanish) more than anything else. I will be doing my ambitious card routine for the older kids next week, but I will do something completely different for the liluns.

hazerman15: My suggestion on your idea is the following. The beginning sounds great. I love the idea of putting funny hats and glasses on them. But the illusion it's self is unimpressive. Not only that, but kids dont understand cards and have no idea there is no such thing as a 13. There is the beginnings of a great trick there, now just find a trick that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:49 pm 
born to perform.

odomenech wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. I did find some scooby doo cards at Wal-mart and have been practicing with them (they are difficult to work with because the color scheme makes the slightest error doing a DL obvious). However, after reading the suggestions here, I think Ill simply move away from the cards completely. No matter what trick I have tried, kids always end up liking "the red thing" (classic silk vanish) more than anything else. I will be doing my ambitious card routine for the older kids next week, but I will do something completely different for the liluns.

hazerman15: My suggestion on your idea is the following. The beginning sounds great. I love the idea of putting funny hats and glasses on them. But the illusion it's self is unimpressive. Not only that, but kids dont understand cards and have no idea there is no such thing as a 13. There is the beginnings of a great trick there, now just find a trick that works.

Yeah. Thats why i added the slush powder in the end. Im gonna have to work on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:53 pm 
born to perform.

KyletheGreat wrote:
Children don't really care for card sleights and coin/ace assemblies too much...they would rather see a highly simple yet visible card trick that consists of a change (visual) or an extremely visual production of a chosen card.

I get board by cards and i'm 13.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:54 pm 
Team Penguin

I do to on the occasional basis...like at the conventions I attend, sometimes there is a close-up lounge and cards is all that is going on...I see so much that I never want to see a card trick again for weeks...I saw so many it made me sick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:02 pm 
born to perform.

kyle what do u think of my card routine how should i tweak it