View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:36 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 14 May 2004
Posts: 620
Location: The Place I'm sitting at
Hey guys, I just wanted to say thanks for all the people that helped me pick out a routine, and make a true kid show. The kids went crazy along with the adults and I got paid $40 for less than 20 minuets. So thanks yall for your help.
Skyman 8) :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:20 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Posts: 1199
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Welcome to the crazy world of children's entertaining!

What did you end up doing? Just curious. :)

Kent


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:13 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 14 May 2004
Posts: 620
Location: The Place I'm sitting at
I did (not in order).
Cut and restored rope.
Magic Rattle Box
Magic Coloring Book
Dishonest abe
Sponge Ball Routine
Cups and Balls
Rocky the Raccoon. (He was my Assistant.)
THats about it.
Skylar 8) :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:28 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
Skyman92 wrote:
I did (not in order).
Cut and restored rope.
Magic Rattle Box
Magic Coloring Book
Dishonest abe
Sponge Ball Routine
Cups and Balls
Rocky the Raccoon. (He was my Assistant.)
THats about it.
Skylar 8) :lol:


THAT"S a twenty minute show????? What did you do rush thru the tricks before anyone could see what you were doing?

My cups and balls alone takes 20 minutes. The cut and restored rope should take a MIN. of 5 minutes as well as the colouring book. The sponge ball routine is at least 10 minutes long and any good puppet man can make Rocky last 15 minutes. All of these times are minimum times so that teh audience can follow and enjoy the magic, being amazed and wondering how you did it without being confused.

That is the difference between being worth $40 for 20 minutes and getting $125 for 20 minutes. The people got what they paid for.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:34 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Team Penguin

Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Posts: 1854
Location: Georgia
paddy,

Don't forget that this guy just started. I am sure he knows nothing about by-play and patter completely yet. He will learn as he goes along, and he show will grow better and longer...hopefully. Most peoples shows are a lot shorter when they start because they have not learned about all the by-play we do and such...but you guys will learn it eventually.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: "
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:14 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 04 Aug 2003
Posts: 2171
Location: Loveland,Ohio (Cincy)
KyletheGreat wrote:
paddy,

Don't forget that this guy just started. I am sure he knows nothing about by-play and patter completely yet. He will learn as he goes along, and he show will grow better and longer...hopefully. Most peoples shows are a lot shorter when they start because they have not learned about all the by-play we do and such...but you guys will learn it eventually.

Very true,
Looking back on my first show... I want to swallow a cyanide tablet. But I kept working on it to make it better and still do. It gets easier and better each time, as you become more relaxed and confident.
Mike


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:12 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 14 May 2004
Posts: 620
Location: The Place I'm sitting at
paddy wrote:
Skyman92 wrote:
I did (not in order).
Cut and restored rope.
Magic Rattle Box
Magic Coloring Book
Dishonest abe
Sponge Ball Routine
Cups and Balls
Rocky the Raccoon. (He was my Assistant.)
THats about it.
Skylar 8) :lol:


THAT"S a twenty minute show????? What did you do rush thru the tricks before anyone could see what you were doing?

My cups and balls alone takes 20 minutes. The cut and restored rope should take a MIN. of 5 minutes as well as the colouring book. The sponge ball routine is at least 10 minutes long and any good puppet man can make Rocky last 15 minutes. All of these times are minimum times so that teh audience can follow and enjoy the magic, being amazed and wondering how you did it without being confused.

That is the difference between being worth $40 for 20 minutes and getting $125 for 20 minutes. The people got what they paid for.

Dude, I'm sorry if that disapoints you. I actually had to slow down my routines because they specificaly asked me for a 20 minuete show and they paid me in advance, also I'm not going to charge them 125 for my first show. My cups and balls routine isnt the best routine in the world, its the one were they pick a ball and you place it on the middle cup and it goes thru. My cut and restored rope did take five minuets actually, and my sponge ball routine *I posted it in the vid forums if you'd take pity on me and watch it* blew everyones mind. I have a small magic coloring book and I made it last 3 minutes using them and me to get the trick done. Dishonest abe and the Magic rattle box went how they were supposed to, and then theres rocky. I did not buy rocky with any instructions at all. So I had to learn by practicing, and getting help from the people around me. This was my first show, nothing special but I know for a fact that the people were satisfied and were happy to have me, if you could help instead of driving me into the ground I would greatly appreciate it.
Skylar 8) :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:10 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
Skylar, I did help you. I will not lie and tell you it was a good show when it wasn't. If you don't want to improve then don't brag about lousy shows and turn down any helpful answers.

You rushed thru those tricks so fast no one could enjoy them. If that was your slow show please don't put on one at regular pace.

To go through your rebuttal item by item:
Quote:
I'm not going to charge them 125 for my first show.


Why not, if you have praciced and rehearsed your show so it is a good show then you're worth $125, whether it's your 1st show or you 101st.

Quote:
My cups and balls routine isnt the best routine in the world, its the one were they pick a ball and you place it on the middle cup and it goes thru...and then theres rocky. I did not buy rocky with any instructions at all. So I had to learn by practicing, and getting help from the people around me.


Then DON'T DO THEMin public!!! The first thing any performer should learn is YOU DON'T PERFORM AN EFFECT UNTIL IT'S PERFECTED.


Quote:
This was my first show


That objection was covered first. The customer should never know it's your first show, they should always think that you are a professional and you should price yourself as such. Now stop feeling sorry for yourself, admit your error and improve your show.

Peter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:09 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 14 May 2004
Posts: 620
Location: The Place I'm sitting at
paddy wrote:
Skylar, I did help you. I will not lie and tell you it was a good show when it wasn't. If you don't want to improve then don't brag about lousy shows and turn down any helpful answers.

You rushed thru those tricks so fast no one could enjoy them. If that was your slow show please don't put on one at regular pace.

To go through your rebuttal item by item:
Quote:
I'm not going to charge them 125 for my first show.


Why not, if you have praciced and rehearsed your show so it is a good show then you're worth $125, whether it's your 1st show or you 101st.

Quote:
My cups and balls routine isnt the best routine in the world, its the one were they pick a ball and you place it on the middle cup and it goes thru...and then theres rocky. I did not buy rocky with any instructions at all. So I had to learn by practicing, and getting help from the people around me.


Then DON'T DO THEMin public!!! The first thing any performer should learn is YOU DON'T PERFORM AN EFFECT UNTIL IT'S PERFECTED.


Quote:
This was my first show


That objection was covered first. The customer should never know it's your first show, they should always think that you are a professional and you should price yourself as such. Now stop feeling sorry for yourself, admit your error and improve your show.

Peter

Paddy I get you completely, but I was on a time limit. 20 minutes, and they were completely satisfied. Every one enjoyed them, now If I could've picked my own time I would have set it to 40min to an hour and then charged more. And if you knew me a little bit you know that I never show a trick to a spectator untill I have perfected it, never could do otherwise. What I meant was that it was short and not to wowing as some of the others I've seen. Also, I knew the people that I was preforming for, I got the job by doing some tricks to the mother of the child and she asked if I could do the job. I'm not feeling sorry for myself, and feel offended that you would say so. I was just replying to your post, and if I came off that way didnt mean to. I had another topic about this, asking what I should do and most of you guys said that I should charge between 30 to 50 dollars so I went for 40. I dont want to sound like I'm whining here, and If thats how I came off to you sorry dude, but I'm not like that. :D
Skylar 8) :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.