View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Long routine help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:36 pm 
born to perform.

How do you make your routines so long? I see alot of people say "i do 4 in 30 min." "I do 4 in 45 min." I can't make my routines last that long. My longest one is about 5 min. i can't make it any longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:01 pm 
born to perform.

You need 5 mins per trick at least.........so you do lets say 5 tricks thats 25 minutes plus warm-up so thats it 30 minutes. Name your tricks i can help with patter.
-thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:50 pm 
Penguin

Slow down. Get some 'Bits of Business' to fill up empty space, and try interacting more with the kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:13 pm 
born to perform.

It's all about patter and tying tricks togeather. I have hundreds of tricks and am able to come up with a good 2 hour show (Please dont comment on that being too long of a show, I know what i'm doing ;) ). Just try and take things and tie them togeather, even if it's not much. Sooner or later every trick you have can become part of the show. Also, get a good story to go along with it, make it fun and interesting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:23 pm 
Penguin

Thats a good point fisher. It's not about the amount of tricks that you have, its about the amount of routines you have. For example you can combine Multiplying Balls with an Egg Bag and turn TWO tricks into ONE routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:38 am 
born to perform.

Yea, another one I will use is lets say I use the strat o sphere. talk about the joker as an ancient magi. Then I'll introduce the chinese linking rings and ancient routine. Then I talk about the rings jumping from one to another and lead into Daryl's Acrobatic knot, because the knot jumps from rope to rope. Three totally different tricks but yet they fit togeather perfectly with the right patter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:56 pm 
born to perform.

patter and audience participation helps a lot when making your routine longer. Also, if you want to make you routine longer make sure it does not get boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:46 pm 
born to perform.

John pointed out another good point, audience participation. This can often times take a good 2-5 minutes! I will often have a game or a prize to see who can come up. For instance, I may have abeach ball. I'll play some music and who ever has the beachball when the music stops get to come up. Kids love it and it especially works good in extremely large crowds where you want it to be random and include people in the back.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:43 pm 
born to perform.

It's called entertaining, you have to perform to be successful. If you think that the magic will keep their attention and entertain them..it will not.
It's the fun stuff that you put into every trick that they look forward to. You say you are a magician, they expect you to do magic.
What they don't expect is to have lots of interaction, to assist in the magic, the funny patter and actions you put into it. Without it, you will fall flat on your face.
Fisher, you do a two hour kid show???? Way tooooo long!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:09 am 
Penguin

I'm finding out through the different forums, and building my show, that the magic is only a very small part of the show the biggest part is the interaction with the kids. If your having fun and they are having fun, you got it.
But in putting my show together I have a basic routine order (still in the building process) but am feeling stuck in some areas as far as how do you practice interaction when practicing alone? I'm reading David Ginns' books and seems to be helping somewhat.(Still reading.... :wink: ) How much improv do you guys do?

Great books by the way! Thanks for the references! You know who you are. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:39 pm 
Team Penguin

rox,

I am glad you finally figured that out. David Ginn has some great books and information. He is a great guy and has more experience in the field of kidshows than anyone else I know. He loves to help and this is one of the reasons he wrote all of his books.

As for improv...I do quite a bit, I find it a challenge and I love to do it. Playing off the moment is a fun and very entertaining thing to do for you and your audience. It shows your crowd just how quick witted and intelligent as well as how prepared you are for a situation. Just make sure not to improvise if you are not good at it! After all...it is an art...not everyone can do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:01 am 
born to perform.

Get Perform Like a Pro. Quentin names his routines and shows some of them and those are only three routines yet they are 20 minutes in total.
He do 5 minutes with a pocket handkerchief, Dantes ropetrick and Silver Sceptre.

I haven't done any show since I got this DVD and I can't wait until I do another kids show! I'll do in that case Run Rabbit Run, Dantes Ropetrick, Silversceptre and Nested Wands. Four routines that last long. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:11 am 
born to perform.

Yes Quentin is good when it comes to squeezing every little bit out of a routine, his routine with the pocket handkerchief is great. He gets 5 minutes out of a Handkerchief! :shock:

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:12 am 
born to perform.

Yes Quentin is good when it comes to squeezing every little bit out of a routine, his routine with the pocket handkerchief is great. He gets 5 minutes out of a Handkerchief! :shock:

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:10 pm 
Penguin

Remember that you dont need to script every word, nor improvise the whole thing. Certain patter calls for a poem or word play that requires word for word memorization. Other routines can have a basic skeleton structure that you can semi improvise from. You can also have provided improv, that is pre written lines that you know are funny(or whatever the goal is) that you use when a situation arises. I would advise that unless you really have to, stay away from scripting every word or you will sound like a parrot. However do not go in there without a plan at all. Improv also lets your character come through, which will hopefully be more entertaining than anything canned.