View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trouble with kids? And rude adults
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:13 pm 
born to perform.

At the last show I did before I took a break from magic I was performing at a party and the kids there ranged from babies to 10 year olds and then adults. I am only a about 4 years older than the oldest kids there. Remember this was the last show I did. It was outside wich was a mistake from the begining. I know probably none of you have this problem but if you have kids that you are performing for who think they are wise cracks how do you stop them. Also there were adults there who were talking over me in the back, how can you politley tell them to be quiet?

Thanks alot
LAx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:51 pm 

There are many ways to do this, depending on the situation. One really different way is to temporarily stop your show, have all the kids turn around to the grown ups, and have them yell out "Please Be Quiet!" This is also a good way to get all of the kids on your side.

When dealing with the older kids, you have to take the time to understand what makes them tick. Older kids don't like to be made to look foolish. Many times, that's why they act the way they do. Sometimes, you can routine your show to incorporate them into it - let them know in advance that you may need their help.

Like I said, there are many, many ways to deal with these situations. Unfortunately, it would be impossible to cram it all into a short post.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:17 am 
born to perform.

Wait 6 more years until you do another show for kids. Being a 14 year old performing for 10 year old, is asking for trouble. You are a kid, and kids will have much less respect for other kids, than they will for adults. Also, at 14, I question how much real experience you can have. You accepted a gig for a wide range of ages in an outdoor setting, and you bombed. Rookie mistake. Be patient. Read more books. Study more. Practice more. Build better routines. Be more entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:39 am 
born to perform.

No matter how much experience and knowledge you have its still pretty hard to perform for a mixed age group when it comes to kids.
The routines you do for the younger ones might be a bit childish for the older kids and routines you do for the older kids might sail right over the younger kids heads and then you have a problem because they find it boring. So its pretty hard to blend a show for different age groups. However not impossible.

The best thing I can advise is when you get to a house and find there is a mixed age group. Before the show starts call over the older kids and do a few small tricks that will impress them, that way you will get the older kids respect. Then just tell them if they want to watch the show to be quite, tell them they will know how you do the tricks (they probably won't) but not to shout it out and to let the younger kids enjoy the show. Tell them you will show them some more tricks after the show.

By telling them they will know what you are doing during the show they will feel better than the younger kids and therefore by establishing this at the start of the show they won't have to prove anything by shouting out during the show. More than likely they won't know how you do the tricks but that age are usualy smart asses. Just say it anyway!

Try this out if it happens again, tell me how it goes.

P.S. Don't do it in front of the younger kids, when you get there call them over to one side, the adults can watch also if you want them too, because you will be doing more advanced routines.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:28 pm 
Penguin

magicman845 wrote:
There are many ways to do this, depending on the situation. One really different way is to temporarily stop your show, have all the kids turn around to the grown ups, and have them yell out "Please Be Quiet!" This is also a good way to get all of the kids on your side.

Kent

hehe. thats a good one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:42 pm 
born to perform.

bobchuck wrote:
magicman845 wrote:

Kent

hehe. thats a good one

Dont post unless you have something to add to the discussion plz

ty
LAx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:23 am 
Penguin

Quote:
hehe. thats a good one

ty
LAx

Is he not allowed to make a compliment on another magicians idea? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:09 am 
born to perform.

nwo1 wrote:
Quote:
hehe. thats a good one

ty
LAx

Is he not allowed to make a compliment on another magicians idea? :wink:

Not at all. But its annoying when Im trying to get some help and he says hehe thats a good idea.
I didnt mean it in a harsh way Im sorry If I came off on the wrong side.

LAx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:08 pm 
Penguin

You *need* this book..

Top 10 problems performing for children. Here is a brief description of this book.. By the way, the book is written by Silly Billy, who many of you know is a very very successful "kids" show performer. I have highlighted the issues you have are having.

Silly Billy makes his living performing for children. As we all know, kid shows or not, there are problems that must always be overcome. In all of Billy's experience, he has now listed the top ten problems as well as the solutions to some of our most difficult performing situations. It's all here. How to get the adults to stop talking, preventing toddlers from walking around, when kids yell out that they know the tricks, that "one" major troublemaker, the older troublemaker, keeping kids in their seats, when the birthday child is shy and won't participate, working a group of mixed age kids, convincing the client to have the show INDOORS, how to keep from getting burned out. Also contained is an extra chapter on Silly Billy's kid show performing theory. You think you already know this stuff? Then you should be as successful as Silly Billy. If not, then you need this book.

I *HIGHLY* reccommend this book, It will answer everyone of your questions, and will teach you correct children management.

Jesse