View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: kid show mini essay
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:32 pm 
Penguin

This topic isnt to disscourage people just to inform. It seems to me a lot of younger kids 13, and 14 age group particularly think that kid shows are the only venue they can preform in. A lot of them are poping up with posts like I wanna start kid shows. But to be honestly from my Experience its a whole lot harder to get jobs at kid shows at this age because, parents dont see that age group as professional. Your routine could be flawless, and you could be amazing and funny. But parents hiring dont see this. They usually want somone who looks more adult. I am not saying you cant get jobs plenty of people do I am just informing people who are intrested in starting kid shows about this so they can consider it before purchasing props. I did that when I was 14 and only worked 1 job hahah. Now i am 17 and I have been working gigs a lot more. Just think long and hard about it before you deside to work kid shows. Think about the parents in your area will they see you as professional, and do you see your self as professional. because if you dont wait a few years before starting.

This is not targeting anyone or ment to start a rant just trying to explain some of my thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:17 pm 
Penguin

I personally have seen this too... Even though you may impress their kids a whole bunch it ultimately is the parents choice. Remember, they have the money....

When I started doing kid shows I was around 13. People thought that it was really neat that I was only 13 doing shows charging around 50 to 75 bux a gig. Now that I am 17 people and charge about 150 for a show people seem to say "he's only 17." It's very weird. It went from people thinking that it was very cool seeing I am young to people thinking....."well shouldn't we hire someone older?"
Just something I expierienced.....

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:29 pm 
Penguin

Yep thats exactly like me parents thought I was more cute when I was 13 but they never really wanted to actually hire me even thought I had red up and had a good act. But when I was 16 and now that I am 17 I am booked a lot more, because it spreads that I am good through word of mouth, not a 13 year old novlty act like i was before.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:48 pm 
born to perform.

Good topic good posts guys. Being a parent I wouldn't hire a 14 or 15 year old, that may seem biased but it's a choice of common sense. Not that there isn't exceptions to the rule but, by reading the posts on here 99% of them really have no idea what it takes, so I could only imagine what kind of show it would be.
Most think the magic will carry them thru a kid show, that is as far from reality as can be. Most.. doesn't take the time to study up on it and do the practice it takes as you guys know what it takes to put an entire show together. They always say how good they are at magic, big deal has nothing to do with it.
The kids I do a show for has more fun with an over sized camera, wilting rose, extell's drawing board, goofy hand shakes, getting names wrong and just being a clutz, rather than a change bag, P&J, die box, or any other effect I use. But post after post has the same mundane comments. If they ever used the search button they could find more info than they could digest. But they don't want to take the time or effort. They'd rather get on here and ask a question and hope for instant gratification. Take the time and effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:06 pm 
Penguin

DaveRobbins wrote:
Yep thats exactly like me parents thought I was more cute when I was 13 but they never really wanted to actually hire me even thought I had red up and had a good act. But when I was 16 and now that I am 17 I am booked a lot more, because it spreads that I am good through word of mouth, not a 13 year old novlty act like I was before.

Well it wasn't that I didnt get booked....

people though it was really cool being only 13 doing magic and wanted to hire me .........

now that I am 17 people say ...... well your only 17 and already doing stuff like that? how could you be any good?

So it was like the older I got the less impressed they got or something.... but either way I still do shows just weird the stages I went through

Good post Sluggo....
Instead of the people asking for a routine or what should they say for their trick they are asking what tricks to do..... Most of them will say they already have a routine with the trick too.... Their routine is the same routine they saw in the video they got with it.... That's not creative..... Magicians are suppose to be creative. We are suppose to think outside the box. We are suppose to be different. Yet, a majority of the people on here are creating duplicates of magicians such as Oz Pearlman, Brad Christan, David Blaine, and Chriss Angel. They are good magicians but nobody can be them except for themselves.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:38 pm 
born to perform.

i totally agree Dave. How many show did you get now. Do you work restaurant or stage? I remember when i was thirteen i got like 5 gigs.
They were all just for my neighbors younger kids.
Good post Dave,
Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:31 pm 
Penguin

now on average I work 2-3 gigs a month mostly birthdays. but I do some busking at laguna beach, and I am hopin to get table hoppin at the magic castle soon for sunday brunches. during the summer I usually work a bit more kid shows especially august There seem to be quite a few birthdays during that month. I am also in the process of getting a school show ready after reading professional magic for children, david ginn makes them seem like a lot of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:17 pm 
born to perform.

Just so you know its not table hopping at the magic castle its a 15 minute close up act at the sunday brunches and that if you are a member of the junior society.

-Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:58 pm 
Penguin

Yea i am a member there, but I am pretty sure the juniors can also do table hopping, but if i am wrong its because i just became a member about 3 weeks ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:44 am 
born to perform.

Thats cool. Congrads.
-sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:52 am 
born to perform.

I hate seeing kids in grade school trying to have kids show, when they're still a kid!! You can't really have any control over kids when your still a kid, I think its the stupidest thing ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:34 am 
Penguin

My first magic show was when I was in first grade, back in 196... I have been perfirming ever since. I have had my share of kids shows as a kid. I now ask, What's wrong with that? Weather parents think it is cute or teachers have you perform at class parties, it is in my opinion, an opportunity to perform and learn. I was never pain in elementaty school, but I did start to get pain when I was in Jr. High and continued getting paid in highschool. I guess I was fortunate. All my shows were not kids shows. Many churches hired me to perform. It was a good mix of adults and kids. Remember that if you do a kids show, it is the adult who hires you and recomends you to others.
As you perform for whatever age group and whatever age you are, there is no place to go but up.
We have here in northern Utah, what is known as NUMA. The Northern Utah Magic Association. We meet at my house. We have a Jr. Group and Sr. group. We have a big show every summer. This summer we are opening it up for our Jr. members to perform. We are very excited for them! They will be in an enviornment to perform for adults and kids. Who knows? Some may gain from this expierience that all they want to do is perform for kids. With time comes the learning of how to control kids, even if you are a kid.
Final thought. Nomater what your age, perform whenever you can for anyone you can. The learning can be limitless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:32 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a white room, With black curtains, At the Station
BBunnell wrote:
My first magic show was when I was in first grade, back in 196196 WOW that makes you 1,810 years old!

Anyway parents dont want kids doing kid shows, I just doesnt sound/look right.