View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Negativity
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:12 pm 
Penguin

What is it with people on this site? I realize this is perhaps a broader symptom of the internet as a whole. I think the anonymity of the internet gives insecure people a chance to push back. But this forum community seems to have a high concentration of negative people. I’d like to think that’s not a characteristic of magicians in general.

Perhaps it’s a byproduct of the wider age range in this community. It seems as though everyone’s trying to prove themselves. Only rather than doing so by posting videos, or giving constructive advice, people try to build themselves up by tearing others down. This is a habit most people grow out of in their twenties.

It’s unfortunate because this site has a lot to offer. There are a lot of people here with a lot to offer to their peers. But anyone who puts forth a question becomes vulnerable to ridicule. There are many very helpful people on this site. Unfortunately, there are just enough insecure/immature people the fit in at least one smart [edited] remark in every thread.

Be cool people

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:16 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Nicely said, and I sort of agree with you. Many people on here are very negative at times, and others are nice. But, some may come off as rude, and have good advice. I do agree with you, though, that some people could be a little nicer, but it's life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:24 pm 
born to perform.

I would say age range/maturity levels have a lot to do with it...........dummyhead. :evil:

Just kidding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:35 pm 
Emperor Penguin

For one thing, I think people dont think before they ask the question.

Sometimes the questions are rather ignorant, lack common sense, or are un-answerable in the way wanted.

Or they get an answer they dont want, and complain or argue.

Second, many questions have already been answered and it gets old answering the same thing over and over.

Thrid, I tend not to sugar coat my comments. Theres no point in it.
I say whats on my mind, sometimes it might be negative or the people might take it as negative.
"eye of the beholder"

And life isnt all sweetness, it isnt totally fair...

When we do try to help and offer our advice.. many times it is turned down and/or argue with us. So after a while we get ticket off.
Soon enough many will leave, many already have.

I used to be real nice and helpful, and I still try to be. But when I see certain posts.... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:43 pm 
Penguin

I assure you I’m old enough to know life isn’t all sweetness.

Here’s the thing. I see the annoying threads too. But when I see them, I roll my eyes and move on. There’s no point in putting people down, just because they don’t know how to spell, use grammar, or use the search function. Why not just ignore the ignorant? Why flood the forum with negativity? If you don’t like someone’s thread/post, simply move on.

It’s easy to feel like a man by making fun of others. But the ability to refrain is a sign of maturity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:46 pm 
born to perform.

If you are referring to my correction of grammar, I am not trying to put anybody down, it's just a slight obsession. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:49 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I tend to do that a lot, too. My English teacher is really bad about it, but that's a good thing. At least some of us know how to speak/type properly. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:51 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah. But we must not use our gramatical powers for evil!

If that's even possible...... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:56 pm 
Penguin

Rest assured this thread was aimed at no one in particular.

This community could definitely afford to spend a little less time practicing slights, and a little more time practicing grammar, but that’s neither here nor there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:59 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Actually, I think a lot of people would be better off practicing their sleights if they want to further pursue their magic career.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:02 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah. I would definitely spend more time on sleights. There's no way I would rather see people with better grammar than better sleights.

As long as a point gets across, it's all good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

bhindthecurtin wrote:
I assure you I’m old enough to know life isn’t all sweetness.

Here’s the thing. I see the annoying threads too. But when I see them, I roll my eyes and move on. There’s no point in putting people down, just because they don’t know how to spell, use grammar, or use the search function. Why not just ignore the ignorant? Why flood the forum with negativity? If you don’t like someone’s thread/post, simply move on.

It’s easy to feel like a man by making fun of others. But the ability to refrain is a sign of maturity.

I only get on to the bad spellers when its really bad. We have schools for a reason. There is no excuse for [edited] spelling and grammar.

And people should use the search function, the forum would be a lot better if more people used it.

Why flood the form? Isnt it the original posters that flood... yes it is.

So I answer their posts, just not always with a smile. I am not also rude, but sometimes, they deserve it.
If you cant respect the forums, then why should I as a poster respect you.

And I like how a new member can come on here and judge the posters, and not even know the forum very well or the posters. :roll:

This forum used to be good.

And I dont need to post to feel like a man. I say whats on my mind, which I have every right too- within the forum rules. I am mature when in counts. This forum doesnt count, as I am not here looking to get a job or make friends. I probably wont even meet 98% of the people here, so let the people here think what they want. I dont care, not here to win a popularity contest.
If you dont like it, dont read it. Go past it- as you would say.

Last edited by DavidTheCryptic on Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:09 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
So I answer there posts

I think you mean "their posts".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:32 am 
Emperor Penguin

The way I act on this forum, is the way I act in life. I can be very sarcastic, rude, and whatever else the occasion calls for. However, I try to give helpful advice when I can. Sometimes my advice comes off as rude. And I really don't care. Because the people who find it to be rude, usually have been babied all of their lives, and need to have some harsh criticism.

Some of the most helpful people here have the tendency to come of as rude and negative. But that's because they are blunt, and get to the point. They don't sugar coat their advice. There is no reason for them to do so. They tell you the advice you asked for, and it's usually very good advice. If others can't see that, then it's their problem. That's life.

Also, many magicians can be quite harsh when giving advice. Many magicians know how to do things a certain way, and that's the way the believe it should be done. And that's alright. They know there are other ways, however, they have found the best way for them, and that's the way they are going to teach it. This can come off as harsh, or rude, but the advice is good, and that's what matters.