View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tricks Dont Matter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:39 pm 
Penguin

I know this sounds crazy, but its true. Tricks are worthless. Thats the bottom line right there.

Now, I know some of you are like "but without tricks I cant be a magician!", and this is true. But you can still PERFORM. Actors and comedians are good examples right there, and magicians use both acting and comedy in their tricks (at least the good ones). Jay Sankey, for example, is also a stand-up comedian as well as a magician.

But we do tricks anyway, despite the fact that we dont need to. But they dont have to be good. Heres an example of a trick most of us have probably thought of but discarded because we thought it wasnt good:

You show somebody the two of diamonds. You turn it over and place it in their hand. You magically pull off one of the pips and display that it has turned into the ace of diamonds.

This trick only requires a DL. As the magician, we think its stupid because it has one sleight involved and requires no misdirection at all. But what it does require is PATTER. With the right amount of patter and emotion, this simple trick can become a miracle. Try it. Rub the card really hard, make it look like you're making a great effort to do this, really milk the presentation. Dont overdo it though, or else they get bored and suspicious. But dont just snap your fingers or wave your wand or whatever, that makes it too simple. Really act with this one.

The same goes for more complex tricks. Ambitous card, for example. Dont just snap your fingers! I like to move the deck upwards every time, saying it gives the card 'upward momentum' so it comes to the top. Come up with your own ideas, mess around, see what gets better reactions.

INTERACTION is another key element. Lets go back to the two of hearts trick. You let THE SPECTATOR hold the card. Have them rub the two and talk about how the ink doesnt come off. For the Ambitious Card, you let THE SPECTATOR sign a card. Try and let them take the deck. Let them put the card in the deck. It makes them fell more connected with the trick, and makes your magic seem more, well, magical.

Well, thats my first essay. Hope you liked it, and actually try the trick with the two. You'll be VERY surprised. And remember, DONT JUST SNAP YOUR FINGERS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:10 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I thought the essay was really good. An interesting note is that on Houdini's death certificate, it labeled him as an actor. So acting is very important.

But I also think the effects are important to a point. You could have all the acting in the world, and mess while performing an effect, and people will still feel disappointed. So the effects may not be the most important part, but I do think they do matter.

Great essay though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:14 pm 
Penguin

I agree totally. I was stretching it to drive my point home. Thats interesting about Houdini, I never knew that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:27 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Actually, a trick does matter. You are completely correct, but a trick does matter. Now, yes, it should have good patter and handling, but without a trick, there'd be nothing to present. Yes, people need to act, but it also takes a great amount of skill and determination to do these things, and what you're performing is a trick. Again, yes, patter does matter, but a trick matters because it's what you present.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:52 pm 
Penguin

Again, I was stretching it. But they dont really matter, because any trick can become a miracle with the right presentation. I guess I should say "what the trick is doesnt matter."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:37 pm 
born to perform.

This is a fundamental skill every magician should have, I agree. But I have to also admit there are some tricks that are born by nature to become miracles even without patter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:20 am 
Penguin

Sankey does stand up? Really?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:17 am 
born to perform.

Magic Matts amazing magic (kids show) without the magic!

No chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:12 pm 
Penguin

I think you over emphasis the use of patter,
what about the tricks that you can do to music or in silence sometimes it is the trick alone that pulls off the final effect and acting had nothing to do with it

good point though i think you have a good basis for your essay and i am not trying to disprove you just trying to help your ideas grow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:30 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Wheresthepea wrote:
I think you over emphasis the use of patter,
what about the tricks that you can do to music or in silence sometimes it is the trick alone that pulls off the final effect and acting had nothing to do with it

good point though i think you have a good basis for your essay and i am not trying to disprove you just trying to help your ideas grow.

I sort of agree. I think what he means is more the performance of the trick, not necessarily what the performer actually says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:13 am 
born to perform.

I do the floating rose with calm music, people love that.

But when busking i alway talk and patter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:51 pm 
Penguin

Location: Well I was thinking about it but, I like your moms house
Really good essay.The tricks do matter.Well if your a magician.I really do think though if magicians just did nothing to make the tricks interesting It would be very boring and not as excititng.But then again if you dont pratice the trick and Just perform good then its just as bad as not performing the trick in my opinion.But really good essay you made some good points