View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why are you here? Why exposure sucks. No, you're not ready.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:03 am 
born to perform.

These are just a few thoughts I figured some fellow magicians could benefit from. Enjoy, and please offer up your own opinions.

1. Why are you here?

This is a pet peeve of mine, but I’ve kept it to myself mostly. Every single day I’m on these forums, I see example after example of people who got into magic for the wrong reasons.

The most common of these are the Blaine and Criss Angel followers. Those two performers are great in their own right, but they unknowingly (or knowingly, we can’t be sure…) started an influx of people who are coming in droves to places like Penguin and Ellusionist. These are the people who got into magic because they wanted to fool their friends. Not to amaze them, not to give them a sense of wonder or astonishment, but to fool them. “Look, I can do this and you can’t.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:56 am 
Emperor Penguin

Great essay, although this is like the third one in a month on exposure, that's all right. Thanks for writing and sharing this with us! Good job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:00 pm 
born to perform.

adjones wrote:
Great essay, although this is like the third one in a month on exposure, that's all right. Thanks for writing and sharing this with us! Good job!

Yeah that's why I made exposure one section instead of the whole essay. Everyone and their mother is writing essays about it lately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:08 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
Loved it. Very honest and open, no condescending tone......what's wrong with you! :wink:

Actually, I completely agree with what you said, especially the sense of wonder. I LOVE it when I'm fooled. I LOVE watching a pro amaze, amuse, bemuse, and befuddle me. I enjoy the ride, the buildup, the payoff, and when my wife, who knows all my secrets, turns to me and asks how it was done, and I can honestly say, "I don't know......" that's magic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:13 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah, my sarcasm per paragraph rate is way too low. Only one sentence in the whole essay! darn, i'll have to fix that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:27 pm 
Penguin

Well done. I enjoyed it a great deal. Good structure on making the exposure bit short and in the middle so it was lead and followed by better material
Quote:
Yeah that's why I made exposure one section instead of the whole essay. Everyone and their mother is writing essays about it lately.

I'll tell my mom to save her exposure essay for a few months from now LOL