View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magicians being fooled
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:20 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I just came up with this piece during a typical thread response, and it kind of turned out to be an essay; so I thought it was important enough to share here. I have not posted any of my essays in forums in awhile, because as I said I was too busy publishing them in my first book. However I would like to post this piece being it is not that long, and just something I have pondered for awhile now that I feel needs to be shared amongst other magicians. If you are a serious magician, and not simply a laymen seeking out secrets; do you enjoy being fooled? Or does ego inhibit you from such an enjoyable experience?

I actually enjoy being fooled, although that rarely happens anymore outright. I may be slightly confused about the method, or look for something far more advanced than is actually there. But then again it depends on how I am viewing the effect, as a magician or as a layman. I think being a magician and being able to see an effect as a layman would, is actually an acquired skill that comes easier over time. At first you are overwhelmed with knowledge that all you are looking for is method, which in itself can get you really fooled, as you tend to be more close-minded in the early stages of your learning.

Personally I believe that being fooled, or even slightly confused; is something to be cherished. Even more so after spending many years studying the art. It brings that sense of "wonder" back to you again, the wonder that most likely encouraged and persuaded you to study magic in the first place. Now I don't mean being confused from a layman's perspective, obviously they should be "entertained;" not confused.

The magician is a little of both. He is confused because he knows methods, but something just doesn't seem to match up. This can lead to frustration, annoyance, or enjoyment—sometimes all the above; depending on the personality of the magician. Anytime I do experience that wonder I try to prolong it as much as possible. If I see something very unique on a DVD that I did not fully understand, or figure out right away; I stop the video and think it about for awhile.

Sometimes days, as this preserves the initial moment of astonishment. Most are only looking for "secrets," not that gleeful moment of trying to decipher the miracle at hand. Most will simply rewind again and again, or even worse go right to the explanation. I never do that. I believe the more experienced and knowledgeable you become, the more those types of rare moments should be savored, and enjoyed. Of course I speak of "legitimate magic" in this case, not "TV magic."

Who knows when it will happen again? So don't be afraid to be fooled, it is a good thing. It means the art is still progressing and surviving, and you are you still learning and growing just the same. I think the longer you have been in the art the more you come to appreciate such moments, I know I have. Regardless of ego, to deny it would be simply "fooling" myself. So next time before going straight to the explanation on a DVD, sit back and soak it in...expand your mind and try to think through all the possibilities.

Appreciate and ascertain the mastery of the art at work. Don't go searching for secrets right away, go soul-searching instead...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:57 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Great essay, I'm glad you're writing them again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:16 pm 
Penguin

I agree with your thoughts. I enjoy being entertained and fooled by other magicians, and think it's something every magician needs to experience occasionally. Well done on the essay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:34 pm 
Penguin

You know, just last night I was wondering whether I was the only magician who still enjoyed magic from the point of view of a spectator, and tonight you bring up that very subject. I love the thrill of watching magic happen, and just allowing myself to believe, if only briefly. I never seek out secrets to effects that I don't intend to perform, so enjoyment on this level is always attainable for me.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:51 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Yeah strange eh? I did not know I would even be writing this. I genuinely love to see magic that is good enough to appear "real," just as it should appear. In fact sometimes I unconsciously look away at opportune moments where I know that a sleight is about to be employed. But if the performer is good enough this is not necessary, which is even better.

I think deep down inside of every magician is a laymen still wanting to be captivated themselves, and I believe it also instills more confidence in them, or could be a much needed confidence "boost" if you will; should the magician be wondering if his magic is still working on his perspective audiences. If he can be fooled with all his prior knowledge and experience, his audience should be REALLY fooled and amazed.

If you are fooled, you can be pretty certain the effect works, and most of the time you need not be a magician for that to be true. That is why many laymen go running to online shops for secrets, they were beyond baffled. What they choose to do with that knowledge afterwards can have a huge impact on their life. Some will stop at secrets divulged, others will go on to be magicians/entertainers/performers. The latter is where the true secrets will come about, and the most gratifying ones...

I use the term "fooled" lightly, as there will be a million definitions from a million different people. Substitute your own term, but I believe you get the point. For me to be "amazed," for whatever the reason, it provides sort of a fresh breath of air and reinvigorates my interest even more so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:26 pm 
born to perform.

I love when i perform something that fools myself. I think for a minute wait... what? How did that happen? Before i remember it was me all along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:29 pm 
Penguin

Great essay- so true :D
Thats on of the (only) downsides to being a magician is it takes more and more complex and amazing magic to fool us. But when it does... its amazing magic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:36 am 
Emperor Penguin

Sometimes having a vast array of knowledge can also make you prone to being fooled more easily. Especially if you are looking for something advanced, when in reality something much simpler is being done. I have fried magicians by faking a DL, or other sleight to throw them off entirely. Or threw in a double backed card into a regular deck, which really had them scratching their heads. You can always be fooled, especially if you are not looking for something that is there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:01 am 
born to perform.

That essay was fantastic. As I was reading along I agreed with almost everything that was said.
Sometimes I'll be talking and messing with cards, then something happens that I didn't realize, (I.E. I did a DL without meaning to,) and I "fool" myself. :lol:

However I greatly enjoy being fooled, seeing as I am not really that great of a "Magician", the reason being that I only know a couple of tricks and started about 2 months ago. Almost all tricks fool me. I hope that someday that will not be true. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:15 pm 
born to perform.

Nice job! I love being fooled by other magic. It makes you feel normal, ya know?

It reminds me of a quote.

Quote:
After viewing magic on TV, everyone in the room looks at you asks, "How'd they do that?" And, all you do is smile and say, "It's really easy if you think about it, but magicians can tell." And you're really thinking "How the heck did they do that?"

It also reminds me of this video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:22 pm 
born to perform.

fspigeon wrote:
Nice job! I love being fooled by other magic. It makes you feel normal, ya know?

Quote:
After viewing magic on TV, everyone in the room looks at you asks, "How'd they do that?" And, all you do is smile and say, "It's really easy if you think about it, but magicians can tell." And you're really thinking "How the heck did they do that?"

Haha "I have devasted myself."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:18 pm 
Emperor Penguin

fspigeon wrote:

Quote:

That was awesome, and I did catch it and thought it was intentional and a very clever piece of misdirection. I wonder...But honestly I think most magicians are easier to fool because they know what to look for, and are a lot easier to throw off track.

I love experiencing that initial moment of "true astonishment" when it does rarely happen, but I try to watch shows from a layman's perspective as much as possible, not look for technical flaws etc.