View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What to do, what to buy? - Rant/Advice.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:18 am 
Emperor Penguin

What to do, what to do?

I have $40 what should I buy? What is the best trick I should but for under $10?
Out of these 5 items, what should I get… I kind a like this, what you think? Should I get the Raven or a Toss our Deck?

These questions, these questions… I see way too often! Do they really serve a purpose? Are people now and days that helpless? Can people not think for them selves.

I remember when people could think for themselves, knew what they wanted, and what was best for them.
Okay, maybe I am exaggerating a bit. There have always been these people that cant think for them selves- Told what to think politically wise, what to eat, what to wear, etc. Drones, that is what they are.

I guess it’s a fad now and days on to have people think for you; Tell you what to wear- like the tv show “what not to wear,” um when did being your self go out of style? What to eat- diets, vegans, carbs no cards, fat free, sugar free; Screw that I eat what I want, when I want- as a cook I am very particular in what I buy. You will rarely see me buy “organic,” “fat free,” “low carb,” “sugar free,” “fake sugar,” or any mumbo jumbo crap. I buy what I LIKE. Not what others like, or what others think I should get. If I want to get it, I will. If you like it, be my guest to buy it.

Now on occasion I do ask the butcher or fish monger what they suggest for that day. But I always check it out for myself, browse a little, then make my final decision. As they don’t know exactly what I am looking for, they just go off what they think most people check for- marbling, smell, etc.

But I never go up to a stranger, and say “hey I have $100 to spend on groceries, what should I buy?”
I never got to a shop clerk and say “hello, I have $40 to spend on shirts, which ones should I buy?”

Now what does this have to do with magic and the original “quotes?” I am glad you asked…
I am sure some of you have caught on, but I am also sure many of you haven’t.

If I don’t ‘perform’ what I said in the last two examples, why do you think it would be okay to do it applying to magic supplies. There is no difference.
Only you know what you like, only you know how you perform, only you know your skill. I don’t know a thing about you, nor does 99% of the posters on this board. There are those couple of exceptions where you are good friends, but that doesn’t matter here. Since in the end, your going to choose what you want, because you like it and think you will use it. Hopefully you don’t just buy something because its popular.

So what to do? Well I will tell you.
If you have $40 or any other amount. Do a little research, look through some effects. Find some that interest you, some that you think you will actually use in your acts/performance. Now your still not sure.

Well when you go to buy shirts, and have a few picked out what do you do? You go back to the change room, try them on, and look in the mirror. Granted sometimes you don’t do that, but that’s because you already knew what you wanted. There was no thought needed. You knew what your wanted, and got it.

So of course you cant really try magic on. But you can go through the forum, the effect pages, and other sites… and read peoples reviews on it, watch videos of it performed, read what the effect or book or dvd contains and covers. Then you think about the pros and cons. Then you will make the ‘crucial’ choice of whether to get it or not.

IF you cant find a review on it, post a request in the review section.
Asking for a review/opinion is fine. But asking “what should I get” is not fine.

We don’t know what you should get, we know what we would get, we are not you. Why would we know what you should get. It just doesn’t make sense.

Then there are these posters asking what to get out of two or three items. Many times they items aren’t anything alike. Example asking “what should I get a raven or self tying shoelace.” What?!? that’s like comparing apples to peaches. They just aren’t similar enough to give a real comparison- they differ in effect, placement, and sort of method wise.

Now asking between a raven and a the bat. That makes more sense, they are much more like in effect and even method. But do you really need to ask? First look for reviews, then search for topics… read them as many as possible. Then if possible look for a video or two.
Do your own comparison based on what you have read and seen. Then if you think you still need more information, then ask. But ask in the proper section.

So what’s the idea, theme, idea… of this essay?

Decide for your self on what to buy.
You people get tired of seeing bots posts. I get tired of seeing these types of posts over and over and over and over and over and over. They generally all end the same- “buy what you want… we don’t know you… that’s your choice…etc.”

[something I posted just a few seconds ago on a topic, asking this question]
This is for you to decide, not us.
You will be the one using the item, not us.
We dont know your style, your likes, dislikes or skill.

They are even 3 different things. Ones coins, ones cards and ones gum.

They arent really comparable.

You must decide. And ask your self... "will I use it?" "does it fit my style?" "do I like it"

Stop asking for people to think and decide for you. If you cant make a decision on what magic item to buy, how you do plan to make even more important and hard decisions- college, politics, what alcohol to drink that night…

Here is another idea… you could always save that money for a time when you know exactly what you want to buy. Just because you have the money, does not mean you have to spend it. Maybe instead of buying more stuff, work on what you already have. Owning a lot of magic items does not make you a better magician, heck it doesn’t even make you a magician. Yes knowledge is power, but its what you do with that knowledge that gives you the power. But this is more for another essay.

-Dave the Cryptic

Last edited by DavidTheCryptic on Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:21 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Wow, great essay. I completely agree with you, and I love the examples you gave at the beginning. My new response to those topics is:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... 25#1049225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:09 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Heh, thanks.
This was more of a rant on the posters and just life today in general.

Now if I were talk just about the life part, whew, that would be a bit longer. :lol:

But the point applies to both.

Post subject: Re: What to do, what to buy?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:25 pm 

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
Stop asking for people to think and decide for you. If you cant make a decision on what magic item to buy, how you do plan to make even more important and hard decisions- college, politics, what alcohol to drink that night

...And he calls me an alcoholic. :P

Great essay David, buy what looks good to you, and what fits into your performance style.

Key thing is YOUR style, not Blaine's or Angel's. Be original!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:23 pm 
Emperor Penguin

bravesaint wrote:
DavidTheCryptic wrote:
Stop asking for people to think and decide for you. If you cant make a decision on what magic item to buy, how you do plan to make even more important and hard decisions- college, politics, what alcohol to drink that night

...And he calls me an alcoholic. :P

Great essay David, buy what looks good to you, and what fits into your performance style.

Key thing is YOUR style, not Blaine's or Angel's. Be original!

I can only speak the truth. :wink:

Thanks for the compliment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:51 pm 
born to perform.

[quote="DavidTheCryptic]I can only speak the truth. :wink:
[/quote]

Like an Absynth addicted bohemian dwarf with a rather amusing speech impediment...

I get bored of reading those constant threads about what to buy. I just bought my first effect in over two months. Didn't ask anyone to pick it out for me either. It can be done kids!

Keep ranting David.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:59 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Quote:

Quote:
I can only speak the truth. :wink:

Like an Absynth addicted bohemian dwarf with a rather amusing speech impediment...

I get bored of reading those constant threads about what to buy. I just bought my first effect in over two months. Didn't ask anyone to pick it out for me either. It can be done kids!

Keep ranting David.

:lol: The Moulin Rouge! Um, whats his name... teluze, something like that. Plays the citar.
Great movie, loved the music.

Oh, and if only "The Green Fairly" were legal.... :wink:

Thanks, I will do my best to keep ranting. :D

Last edited by DavidTheCryptic on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:21 pm 
born to perform.

Great essay!!!!! There is only one problem.... The people that it addresses will NEVER read this. it is way too long.:wink:

Ben Winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:30 pm 
born to perform.

She is over here my man, hop the pond we'll go find her some time.

His name is Toulouse-Lautrec, he hangs around with none other than Eric Satie (although his first name is never mentioned in the film), he does indeed play the sitar and I'm glad you didn't think I was barking mad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:45 pm 
Emperor Penguin

povallsky wrote:
She is over here my man, hop the pond we'll go find her some time.

His name is Toulouse-Lautrec, he hangs around with none other than Eric Satie (although his first name is never mentioned in the film), he does indeed play the sitar and I'm glad you didn't think I was barking mad.

Oh course not. I have seen that movie at least 10 times, not including the theater opening night. I own the dvd and soundtrack.
I didnt watch it today, but I watched Spawn (stay with me) and the actor that played Toulouse- plays the evil fat clown. :lol:

IF I am ever over there, I might just have to take you up on that.
I have tried it before, but thats another story. :wink:

8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:20 pm 
Penguin

povallsky wrote:
I just bought my first effect in over two months.

My personal record is three years(for not buying any magic). Well, if you don't count buying raw materials for modifying effects I already own, and for creating my own stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:38 am 
Emperor Penguin

LlevasP2 wrote:
povallsky wrote:
I just bought my first effect in over two months.

My personal record is three years(for not buying any magic). Well, if you don't count buying raw materials for modifying effects I already own, and for creating my own stuff.

Well not to brag.. but 5 years. I had enough books and 2 dvds, to keep me busy for 5 years.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:31 pm 
Penguin

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
Well not to brag.. but 5 years. I had enough books and 2 dvds, to keep me busy for 5 years.

Something for others to shoot for. I think there'd be alot more good magicians in the world if more of them would take the time to really learn the material they already have, rather than just blowing through it and moving on to the next thing. Many of them seem to think that once they know the secret behind an effect, they've got it down and it's time to buy something new.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:11 am 
Emperor Penguin

LlevasP2 wrote:
Many of them seem to think that once they know the secret behind an effect, they've got it down and it's time to buy something new.

One thing you are going to find about this art, is that a lot of people start off by wanting to learn a few "tricks", and end up not becoming magicians, but rather, collectors of secrets.

8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:36 am 
Penguin

wayno wrote:
LlevasP2 wrote:
Many of them seem to think that once they know the secret behind an effect, they've got it down and it's time to buy something new.

One thing you are going to find about this art, is that a lot of people start off by wanting to learn a few "tricks", and end up not becoming magicians, but rather, collectors of secrets.

8)

I can imagine. It's not like I don't feel those urges myself. There are alot of effects that are still mysteries to me because I resisted the compulsion to buy them. On the one hand, I want to know how they work, but on the other, I know they're just not right for me and I'd be buying them just for the secret. Plus sometimes it's nice to not know. It keeps the enthusiasm alive.