View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The "Can you tell me how (BLANK) is done?" RANT
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:07 pm 
Penguin

The first rule of magic is – never tell how an effect is done.

Don’t you think this ALSO applies to Magicians? Sure, magic is an artform that has been passed down from apprentice to student by word of mouth since the ages, but in the world that we live in, where so much information is free, it seems the secrets we do have – we should keep them!

Of course, the environment I am talking about is the internet. People you don’t know ask you how effects are done. You think to yourself, “But they are magicians….” Are they? How do you know? If I saw a magician at a night club on the weekend, I could do a simple web search and be a member of a magic community by Tuesday.

Now, of course for my critics…not EVERYONE does that, and I am sure it could be a slim few. But a lot more self-proclaimed magis are hobbyists or noobs who will fall out of magic in a year due to attention span or magic not just being their calling.

But we share secrets with those people also.

Most of the time, the requests that I see on the internet or what aspiring magis send me in email is blatant theft. Sadly, it comes from the same online mindset that says that “downloading music, file sharing, and burning video games is ok” all of this is theft and this world is slowly evolving into a place where theft is the “norm.”

If these magicians love magic so much, or they claim to be serious about their craft.
Why do they steal effects?
Why do they take money from the hands of magic creators?

I hear that magic tricks are expensive – that’s’ true. But there is answer to that.
1. Buy tricks you can afford
2. Get a job

But the argument comes back, but I want the awesome $30 card tear! I don’t want the tricks that I can afford.

Guess what? I want a Hummer H2, but I bought a Kia…

Let’s pretend the internet was an actual mortar and brick magic store. The $30 card tear DVD is sitting their on the shelf…you can’t afford it….so, you steal it and run out?

What’s the difference? Some magicians use their screen name as a ski mask.

Let’s look at the flip side of magic theft for just one more second. Ok, so you find a guy who is willing to share his $30 secret with you (which is also dumb, if I paid $30 for a DVD. Why would I share the secret with a stranger for nothing?) or worse you are going to “trade” him for it. (So now two creative magicians are being ripped off)

He then “writes” up his description of the trick ….yuck. That doesn’t help very much. Not everyone is a good or clear writer. Plus, a DVD is sold for a reason….pictures! When you steal magic, you get a poor man’s copy of the effect.

My advice….(a.k.a. “My opinion”)

Give people advice and assistance…not answers. In other words, point people towards books, websites and online magic stores that can help them find what they want.

If people need help with certain effects, a lot of times the website that sold it to them has a forum with administrators who will help them. Better than that – a lot of effects now days come with the creator’s email address or website – point people with questions back to their creator of the effect.

If people need help with locating effects or sleights, recommend helpful books to them. Part of the process of growing as a Magi is self-discovery. When we “help” people by answering all of their questions, we rob them of that journey.

I welcome your comments and input.

Good luck,

David Kenney Magic
Davidkenneymagic@aol.com
http://dkmagic.blogspot.com/ - New effects every week!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:30 pm 
Penguin

THANK YOU! Everyone who wants to know how an effect is done without buying it READ THIS ESSAY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:33 pm 

Very good. Thanks for the read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:19 pm 
Penguin

It's about time somebody says something about that, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:24 pm 
Penguin

That was a good lil essay :D

-------------------
Andy Evans

Post subject: Notify
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:46 pm 

Jak wrote:
Very good.

How will i know hen it is done? :(!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:43 pm 
Penguin

Great essay and sound advice. There is no easy road to becoming a good magician. Put the time and work into your craft and you will be repaid because it is something you earned!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:00 pm 
Penguin

Well said, I hate kids that beg me to know how a trick is done :evil: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:17 am 
born to perform.

well.... really nice, but nothing new... i mean we all know this but its just nice when someone reminds us that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:42 am 
Penguin

Agreed. If I can spend my money, and time, learning how to do a trick, why should anyone else be special, and get it for free? I will advise people, and give my opinions about tricks, but I won't blab a secret to a lazy cheapskate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:32 pm 
Penguin

Good points, well thought out, although I do take a bit of exception to your apparent lumping of hobbyists with noobs. I've been into magic for about four fifths of my life, but I'm still a hobbyist with no plans to turn pro anytime soon, if ever. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way though, so no hard feelings. Again, good reminder. We all know the code, the rules, ethics and such, but sometimes the line gets blurry for some of us and we need someone to speak up and pull us back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:26 pm 
Penguin

good words.

I feel there is a beauty in lay having an "idea" of how an effect is accompished. I find it can create even deeper layers of deception. By "thinking" that they know something, they become even more impressed when they can't figure it out. In a way it forces the magi to be more creative...push the envelope even further.

I think just about anybody has a clue as to what a palm is. When someone is truly stunned however, they forget about these little "tricks". The sum is greater than the parts, the spectator cant possibly imagine how a simple palm could accomplish something so incredible...

And the magi just snickers in his mind, "Just a palm...maybe some FP and the right wording and gestures..."

Then it gets fun.