View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Buying Magic is Addicing! - the essay
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:51 pm 
born to perform.

Buying magic is addicting! - the essay

In this short essay, I hope to cover the goods and the bads of purchasing magic. This will include why, buying magic might be so addicting.

The first thing I want to touch on, is the reason behind, why people buy magic. I think, that people purchase magic just simply because they want to up their game by purchasing more tricks – which is perfectly fine.

Buying magic to get better is definitely encouraged. If you think you need a trick go ahead and buy it. But before buying, think about, am I going to use this in my regular act. I suggest you write out a routine, and when you think you’ll be successful with that routine, you may buy something that’ll fit into that show. For example, you don’t need a 9-10 trick for a 30-minute kid show. That would be way too much. In fact to become a better magician, in my opinion, try to perform as little tricks as possible in a large amount of time. Practice with few tricks. This will teach you how to expand your performance and patter.

The part that people keep buying and buying is the bad part. They think that they can just get better, but you have to practice one at a time. Someone might buy a $30 DVD because they want to learn one amazing trick that someone performed on youtube. So, they buy the DVD and find out that it’s too difficult and move on to another DVD that they buy because they want to start doing manipulation, then they find out that their hands are too small. Do you see where I’m going with this?

You should appreciate your tricks and DVDs. Perform the crap out of them. You should work on all the material you have before purchasing more and more magic. I was getting caught in this disease about a year ago, now I’m a lot better and not in that habit.

There is a difference between buying magic for others and buying magic for yourself. What this means, is that if you buy magic for others, it shows that you’re buying this trick so you can show it off to friends and family in your own shows. Buying it for yourself, would be like, if you had a friend in magic. He might not be as good as you are, but he is a magician. He sees you perform a trick that blows him away. He’s fooled, but then he goes out and buys the DVD just to bug you and tell you that he knows how he does that. In this kind of situation, don’t worry, because he doesn’t know how to perform it.

Maybe a lot of you guys, have recruited or had friends that enjoyed the magic art, and you got them into it. You might’ve introduced them to penguin, show them good basic DVD and, tricks and what not. But soon, they’ll eventually grow out of it. It’s just a something that you taught them to do, as a hobby. It’s like teaching your friend how to do a tail-whip on a scooter. And he soon forgets about it – forgets about magic. What might this have to do with, how buying magic is addicting?

I’m sure most of you, when you were first starting out in magic, you were constantly thinking of what trick to buy next. You always want ONE more trick. Soon, you start to accumulate tricks, and you don’t want this to happen. But that’s just what happened to the friends who started magic. They’re parents probably didn’t totally approve of their children to all of a sudden start buying magic off a website. Of course, your parents will support you up to a point. They might buy your friend one or two DVDs and tricks, but your friend wants this trick that he saw on youtube (just like before) but it costs a whopping $55! To your friend and his parents, it might seem like a lot. They don’t really want to buy this but because your friend wants it, they’ll get it for him. They don’t know what they’re doing! So when he gets it, it’s too hard of a trick, he can’t perform it. Soon, he’ll quit.

What he did, was fall right into the trap. His mistake was, he didn’t practice or perform any of the first two DVDs and tricks he received.

Whatever trick or DVD that is on a magic site there is a reason for it. It’s not impossible, so just practice.

This concludes my essay on, how magic is addicting. But don’t let it get to you! The moral of this essay was to show that even if you own very little material you can make the best of it, by performing it and practicing. Practice what you can, and what you have!

I really hope that this helped out some of you! Thanks for reading and have a fantastic day! *Comments are welcomed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:44 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I enjoyed it, but I thought it was a little brief, and you got off subject when talking about friends starting magic. Your examples, while usually correct, aren't always the case. I know a lot of people that would be willing to put a lot into our art if given the chance. It really depends on the person. The rest was pretty good, though. Good job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:52 pm 
born to perform.

adjones wrote:
I enjoyed it, but I thought it was a little brief, and you got off subject when talking about friends starting magic. Your examples, while usually correct, aren't always the case. I know a lot of people that would be willing to put a lot into our art if given the chance. It really depends on the person. The rest was pretty good, though. Good job!

Thank you, Drew! I know it was a little brief. I kinda got off topic when I was talking about friends, because I just wanted to touch on that. I'll work on it, all together! Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:19 am 
born to perform.

Maybe if you compared magic to a drug. It would make for a better read.

Because magic can be like a drug. I know first hand. I have hundreds of tricks, props,literature,etc. Do I use everything I have? :lol: , no.

But, it makes me happy. All that matters.

For those of you that charge your magic to a credit card. Stop that.