View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Promotion and Advertising, a little extra
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:28 pm 
Emperor Penguin

This is part 4 of my essay on how to start a career in magic. In this part, I will be continuing on promotional material and how to get your name out there.

After you've completed your promotional kit, it's a good idea to create promotional flyers. These will be used to promote the show you will eventually book, as well as advertise your services. What you should have on these flyers is an action photo of yourself, description of you act and services, and contact information. one you have this done, it's easy to add date, time, and location to the flyer when you need to.

Once your flyer is complete, post them anywhere you can; churches, libraries, schools, grocery stores, music stores, etc. make sure you get permission to do so first though. It's best to keep on friendly terms with local businesses. It will make it much easier on you in the long run.

Another good idea is to create small handouts. Basically what I'm talking about are miniature flyers. You've probably seen these around from time to time. Local bands seem to really like these to promote their shows. You design these just like you would a normal flyer. These are nice to put in different stores as handouts. If you make friends with different store clerks, they are usually more than happy to hand these out to any customer. Plus, if you do a good job on designing these, I've found that teens and young adults will even hang these on their walls. One last plus about these is that I've found people are more willing to keep these compared to full size flyers. They take up less room, so people don't mind hanging onto these.

There are other promotional ideas that you can use as well, from having your car custom painted, to getting on your local television channel. But for now, you've gotten the basics. Later on, I will be going over additional ways to promote yourself, but you should have enough ideas to help you get started.

The last thing I will discuss in this essay are the little extras that you need to consider before you start performing. They may seem like small details at first, but are actually very important. First, if you haven't already, I suggest looking into joining magic fraternities like the Society of American Magicians and the International Brotherhood of Magicians. They really do help in the long run. The benefits are great, and the advice is even better. Second, you need to look into getting entertainer's liability insurance. it's a must as things can happen; accidents do occur. Having insurance is a precaution that must be taken, as it will save you in the long run. Finally, you need need to have some contracts drawn up. This is just another precaution that you need to take. Plus, it assures you that you don't get screwed over by a client. I suggest you also require a deposit (50% of the total cost of the show) at the signing of the contract.

That's it for this section of the essay. In future essays, I will discuss additional ways to promote yourself. As for the next section of this essay, I will discuss the pros and cons of doing free shows in order to get your name out there, as well as gain some experience. If you have any questions until then, feel free to ask.

*edit* I've slightly edited this post from it's original form as to comply with the rules of the Penguin Forum. All that was taken out is contact information and services that I offer. I mention this just in case there seems like an odd jump somewhere while reading. *edit*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:30 pm 
Penguin

Spot on, this will really help me out!

wonderfully written as well! Thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:38 am 
Emperor Penguin

Thanks, I hope you can benefit from this essay.