View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bull**** props!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:44 pm 
Team Penguin

Do you know what has been bothering me lately? All the BS that Jay Sankey has been getting. More specifically, His newer effects he has been marketing. This is more of a creativity lesson in prop magic rather than a pursuasion or lecture if you will. I don't mean to sound angry in this but its a pretty dull topic that is VERY rarely touched upon.

I am going to be focusing in on 2 main effects. These effects have been tossed around with all the good criticism and the bad, the reviews, comments etc. These 2 effects are called (Both by Jay Sankey) "The Disappearance" and "Blockbuster". 2 of the newer released effects by Mr.Sankey. I will talk about one effect and then the other to avoid confusion.

Lets start off with the basic thought in magic. It's a thought that has been thrown around a lot and realized and by few. "Why would I be using or carrying this around?". A VERY valid reason, Unfortunately, Not that many people take this thought into consideration and sit down with it, the trick, and a few creative points. I do this very often in my magic. I never buy a trick unless I can come up with a creative plot or transcript of the effect prior to actually getting it. With that said, I will start with "The disapperance".

"Why should I carry around 9 cards, a plastic sleeve, and an envelope?"
I dont know, Why should you? That is what you need to always ask yourself. I personally dislike the effect to begin with, But I enjoy the trick now with my creative presentation. Make the trick a creative one. Maybe you can somehow put two tricks together and make one really good routine out of it. Lets say you have Jay Sankey's omnilope. Maybe you can cut out the printed plastic cards and put them in an envelope and have the card maybe vanish and appear inside it or have the spectator choose their printed card. hmmm. For this effect, I present it as a failed illusion. I tell the spectators that one of my illusions never worked and I never had the chance to actually perform it. I dont even use the cards. Just the plastic.

Now we will focus on "Blockbuster". This is one that has been B***** on lately as well. People are saying on the forums " Why would I carry a block of wood, hammer, nails, a marker, and a card?". And again, Why would you. It's a very vaild question to ask but if you cannot come up with a reason, Don't complain. As magicians, There is little to no reason to complain about something like this. Turn the block of wood into a card timeout box if you want. You can even just leave it out on the table until somebody asks you what is wrong with it. I'm sure jay presents this in a creative way unlike anybody else out there. It is a really cool piece that I have not seen before like this.

We should always evaluate everything you do or see. Then ask yourself "Why". The most important question. We should embrace that question and acknowledge our own creativity and nurture an effect like it is our souls, But who's saying our creativity doesen't survive without our souls.

I would love to hear your feedback on my articles. Feel free to email me at MagicOfMarkTirone@gmail.com or instant message me at XCMMT101 or even just PM me.

-Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:46 pm 
born to perform.

I agree 100% with you. People are b*tching because they don't think it's practical, whatever. If you have descent patter then get on with it. It's unique, and possibly for stage or parlor if you wanted to perform it there. What about if you and your buddy are in a shed, and they ask you to do a trick? Haul out a deck a cards, find a hammer and a board (Is the board gimmicked? If so forget this idea) and do the trick. OBVIOUSLY this is not walk around material or street magic, with people saying "Yeah that's practical to carry around". Why in the h*ll would you carry around that? Use it in a more creative way for god sakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:34 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Vice President of the cannot join unless you are Serbian club!
Good essay. Isn't Dissaperence (sp) just like WOW, but 8 more cards? Just carry a deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:13 pm 
Team Penguin

The disappearance uses a clear plastic sheet with 9 cards printed on it, Similar to a transparency they use in schools for presentation and bigger teaching lessons. I use it like this. I tell them that I have a transparency with cards on it and it is clear so no tricky work can be done etc, then I sell it by putting it in there hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Logic should be considered when doing magic. Using unnatural objects, unless for a good reason, isn't very logical. Jay Sankey is mainly a walk-around magician. He has a reputation of creating effects for restaurant work or strolling. Carrying around many of the props he creates though is not feasible. Using his effects in other professional venues isn't really feasible either.

You may be able to create an interesting script behind his effects, but he really is a hit or miss creator. Yes, Sankey has created a lot of wonderful magic. But he has also created a lot of crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:13 pm 
Team Penguin

well, Thats basically what I have been saying this whole time lol. You need to give yourself reason to carry that around. I do curtis kam's ratpack for more intimate groups using a smaller mouse trap and I tell them that this one card keeps trying to escape after doing a few amibtious card sequences. I tell them that I am going to catch the card once and for all. I do the trick but the deck falls and the card is snapped between the wood and metal bar. I know it's not the exact trick since curtis' version is pretty much the opposite, But I give myself reason to carry around that prop. Plus, If you give yourself reason and it makes sense to the audience in some way shape or form, It will FLY RIGHT PAST THEM! We dont always need to think like magicians.