View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: It has to be easy to be good.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:34 pm 
born to perform.

Okay this will be a short essay first, because the point i want to make isn't that complicated and second, because i know if it is short than more people will read it all the way through.

So heres the idea. When you are performing magic, the trick that you are doing has to be easy or else it won't look like magic. Now this may sound obvious to some of you but i feel like there are a lot of people that don't quite get it.

I thought about this when i was having a conversation with a female magician about how magic isn't about doing hard sleights. I said that magic doesn't have to be difficult to be good. But then i thought about that for a second and realized not only does it not have to be difficult to be good. It HAS to be easy.

Now i don't mean that you have to do sleightless tricks that a beginner could to for it to be good. That isn't what i mean by easy. I mean easy for you. It has to become easy/effortless/second nature for you to perform. If there is any strain on any sleight or move or anything in the trick then it isn't magical, it just looks like you are trying your darndest to fool them (and probably failing).

I see a lot of people (kids mostly) biting their proverbial lip as they work through a routine. Its amazing how little practice we'll let our selves get away with (i used to do it). Being able to work your way through a routine isn't equal to having it mastered. You will find out really quickly when you go out to perform the thing that there is a big difference between a trick that you can "do" and a trick that you have mastered.

So how do you fix it?

Well I use a practice technique i picked up from reading david stones book "close up" on becoming a professional close up magician. He says that he will put 100 dash marks on a black board and erase one each time he does the routine. By the end he is f*cking tired of doing it BUT he could do it in his sleep. Thats where you need to be before you go and perform your routine. Unfortunately you basically have to be sick of the trick by the time you perform it because you run through it so many times.

So lets go get sick and tired of our routines! :D

Post subject: Re: It has to be easy to be good.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:00 pm 
born to perform.

Great piece of advice. I have been meaning to get that book. Also, great way to look at the situation. They say good sleight of hand should make hard things look easy and the best way to do that is to practice it until it is easy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:23 pm 
born to perform.

Good essay. I love to practice. Perhaps I am deviant in some way.

I am finding out that as I progress in magic, I am starting to gravitate to easier material. The reason is that even though I am willing to put in the time to practice harder material, I would rather be prepared to amaze with the simple material than try some difficult sleight of hand and risk a poor performance. I think if I performed more I might change my thinking but for now I am gravitating towards the less taxing sleights.

For example, I've made some investments in gaffed coins. I have a decent foundation in the coin sleights but I like the idea of using the gaffed coins to allow me to focus more on presentation and worry less about making a mistake. I've also gravitated towards easier card tricks such as packet tricks and routines by guys such as Columbini and Nick Trost because they do miracles with relatively simple methods. Trost is cool because he can take a complicated routine and make it even better with fewer knuckle busters.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:53 pm 
born to perform.

tbwendt wrote:
Good essay. I love to practice. Perhaps I am deviant in some way.

I am finding out that as I progress in magic, I am starting to gravitate to easier material. The reason is that even though I am willing to put in the time to practice harder material, I would rather be prepared to amaze with the simple material than try some difficult sleight of hand and risk a poor performance. I think if I performed more I might change my thinking but for now I am gravitating towards the less taxing sleights.

For example, I've made some investments in gaffed coins. I have a decent foundation in the coin sleights but I like the idea of using the gaffed coins to allow me to focus more on presentation and worry less about making a mistake. I've also gravitated towards easier card tricks such as packet tricks and routines by guys such as Columbini and Nick Trost because they do miracles with relatively simple methods. Trost is cool because he can take a complicated routine and make it even better with fewer knuckle busters.
no, i definitely agree with you. I have sort of dropped my ego finally and am all about the magic experience being had by the spectator(s). I still work on difficult stuff because i find it fun and interesting but i only perform the stuff that i know i can breeze through and will really kill them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:14 pm 
born to perform.

Very obvious but VERY true. Also I like that practice technique you mentioned I think I'll try it for some stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:14 pm 
Team Penguin

Great essay! I have been in the habit lately of practicing these kinds of tricks. Only a few of them though. Pretty much everything else was dropped. I'm focusing on a one coin routine, card warp, card through table etc. Simple hard hitters. Even the DL color change trick. It looks so effortless that it MUST be magic. Just the thought that the magician had this card, it was a queen, then he put it in my hand, I looked again, it was an 8! It looks like real magic because you didn't do anything funky