View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Celebration Essay!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:38 am 
born to perform.

Hey all. I am writing this essay as a sort of 'celebration' of my 2,000th post. the topic of this essay is the concept of getting out there and getting some real experience.

Now I am not talking about making your magic a full-time job or anything, but I mean rather than staying cooped up at home and practicing for hours on end, you should get out there! Practice is a good thing, but in a way, performing for strangers is pracice too, because you get better from it. You don't only get better at performance, but on a social level too.

I happen to know of a few magicians that are very good at what they do, but they are too scared to perform in fron of people they don't know. for those of you that do perform for strangers, then you know how quickly the fear goes away after that first 'David Blaine' type reaction that you get. I can understand their fear, because the world is very brutal, and most people will tell it to you like it is. I like to consider the magic spectators as a bunch a 'Simon Cowells." People for some reason seem to look down upon magicians, and therefore they look for any way that they can possibly make you look like a fool in front of everybody. Don't let this discourage you, make it a point that you want to go and show those types of people a thing or two.

Another thing that I hear even veteran magicians having a problem with, is the shakiness of the hands during perfomance. I must admit that I am one of those magicians that gets the shakes every now and then. (depending on who I am performing for) But I find this to be a perfectly normal thing. It is somewhat of an adrenaline rush that you get when you are performing and effect and all you can think about is how great your reactin is going to be when you get to BANG part of the trick. I honestly don't see any way of dealing with this problem. But it really isn't that big of a deal, because it all goes away once your spectators start running around screaming as if they were little kids again. But if you happen to get the shakes during the middle of a performance, the best advice I can give to you is to keep on going and go with the flow, for all roads lead to rome.

Another thing that I found people are afraid of is rejection. It is true that there is virtually nothing more embarassing than being rejected by a spectator after approaching them. This is a topic that I can give some advice in. The HUGE mistake that I see alot of magicians making, is when they approach their spectator, they say something along the lines of "would you like to see a trick?" uh uh......that is a BIG no no. It is even a worse thing for young magicians like myself to say something like that. For some odd reason, lay people don't seem to take kids seriously when they are doing magic (I think that when you do an explosive trick, it just adds to the effect if they think you're just some un talented little kid) Anyways, rahter than approaching them with a line like that, I find it best to say something along the lines of "Would you like to see something" (while pulling out a deck) But sometimes, you may get lucky enough, if you are just walking around doing fancy flourishes or something, and your spectator approaches you asking if you know any magic tricks. Better yet, if someone sees you with your cards and says "I know a magic trick....you wanna see it?" usually it is something beyond the level of stupid. Then all you do is say "wow, that was pretty good......I can do one thats not that good, but it is pretty good" Then knock em off their feet with something like Here then There or Biddle Trick.

The last point that I would like to make is the impact of the tricks you choose to perform. Once you get enough courage to approach a spectator, don't you dare got up to them and perform a little self working trick that is in every library known to man. Even before you approach the spectator, it is good to realize what your very best effect is, and hit them with that. If you start off with a corny trick such as that 21 card trick thing, they will most likely think you are a waste of time and not want to see anymore. On the other hand, if you start off with a BIG trick such as Here then There or 2 Card Monte or something like that. It is going to be difficult to make them go away, because they are just going to want to see more and more.

Thus ends another one of my essays, and like I have said before......all feedback is appreciated whether it be positive or nagative.

but before I end it......I would like to thank MOSTLY everybody here on the forums for keeping at the magic and not letting penguin go completely to waste.

3 people who have been working hard recently are Fcchief, RoatC, and Bravesaint......you 3 have been putting up with these people that want to advertise their own site or start flame wars or even expose. And for putting a stop to it quickly and harmlessly, I appluad you.

and to all the non-moserators who have worked hard on keeping these boards alive (people such as magicmandan, BeMan, ImmortalDusk, Scorpio, Adammcd, and the departed smar99 just to name a few)

Thank you to all dedicated forum members for being on your toes and jumping at any opprotunity to help a fellow magician out. :wink:

Magic4ever
-Scott

Last edited by cowboy4ever on Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:16 am 
born to perform.

Great essay and congrats on your 2000 post. Lets see, I only have...1770 to go. sigh. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:19 am 
born to perform.

Yeah, when I go out, it physically drains me for some reason. I HATE that rejection feeling! I mean I practice but sometimes it feels like, why should they WANT to see my magic?
I really need to get out more so I can get experience.
Hopefully one day I'll land that rest. job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:52 am 
born to perform.

Great essay! I enjoyed reading that. I used to sit at home and play with cards all the time, practising my effects and routines. I might have had them down pat but when you perform for someone it is a totally different experience. You have to be more cautious of angles, exposing a trick, and keeping your head clear. The worst thing is when you are pperforming and you are thinking about how nervous you are, then you mess up. Always try to keep your head clear, think about the effect your doing. It is hard to think about being nervous but just dont think about it.

I found once you show someone with alot of friends you start performing all the time. ex. I was at work and I had a pack of cards on me, So I asked on of my friends if she would like to see a trick. She rolled her eyes and said sure. I did it and she went nuts, then she phoned all her friends, they all came down just to see them. (It was lunch) So I performed to about 12 people that day, before that I had never performed for a real audience before. My hands were shaking, I was thinking about messing up. If your performing for someone and you noticed your starting to breath faster and your hands are starting to really shake, Take a deep breath and just calm down. I only messed up once that whole day, thats pretty good considering I have never performed for real people before. So what I'm getting at is just relax, pretend no one is watching you, and take a deep breath.

Nothing is worse then messing up after someone just bragged about how good you are.

Thanks for your time,
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:30 am 
born to perform.

very good points made in that reply matt :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:31 am 
born to perform.

ShaneW wrote:
Great essay and congrats on your 2000 post. Lets see, I only have...1770 to go. sigh. :lol:

heh, Stick with it.

quality over quantity