View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Improve Your Magic (without spending a buck)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:40 am 
Penguin

Location: Forget Normality, Spit on Mortality, What's Morality, Burn Humanity, Nothing could ever set you free
Catchy title, eh?

I've seen some posts where someone asks how they can improve their magic and get a list of instructional dvds/videos. Or instead of asking how to improve their magic they just ask for good dvds.

New material is not needed to become a better magician.

It is nice to have a big arsenal of effects. But it's not needed. Let me offhandedly almost quote a post I read a wile back. "Lets say there are one thousand card effects out there. Lets also say that I know about one hundred. I readily practice about fifty. I preform for real live audiences about... eight of these effects." I don't know who said this and i know its not an exact quote, but I'm pretty sure it was someone on this board. (If it was you... speak up so i can give credit.) Before starting this essay off, i would also like to say many of these concepts apply to other forms of skill.... such as playing an instrument or the suchlike.

So with out further adieu, lets get on with the list.

PRACTICE
Ok, ok. I know we have all heard this a billion times before. But bear with me through this paragraph. First of, when you practice, set goals. Doing the "moves" over and over isn't going to cut it. This is what i did through my first few months of magic. I knew how to do the moves. But I didn't really know how to apply the move except for the effect I learned it for. Explore the move. Explore the routine. Try to tie in other effects you have. I don't really have anything else to say for this one.

CATALOGUING
Get a stack of note cards. At the top, write the name of the effect. Write a small description of the of the effect. At the bottom, write out information such as how many spectators you need, angles, or special preparation. I don't know where I heard this idea, but it has helped me uncover some hidden gems in my arsenal and also helped me remember what effects I know.

MAGIC GROUPS
I'm not really talking about SYM and SAM meetings in specific, but its more in the sense of finding other people with the same interests in magic. By comparing performances, sharing ideas and reviewing material, you get a different take on concepts and a fresh look at effects. To find an actual SAM meeting go to www.magicsam.com and use the "assembly locator" right at the top.

PREFORM
Preform multiple times a week. As a magician, you forfeit your sense of wonder. Seriously, recall the last time you saw a magic show. Compare your reaction to that of one you saw before you were into magic. There's a big difference between being truly amazed and being surprised. I know that I did not forfeit my sense of wonder to sit in front of a mirror and talk to myself while holding some cards.
What about you?

Well... Thats my essay. I hope you took something out of it and manage to apply it.

Oh, and keep a look out for "Assortment of cheap stuff on Pengun" in the reviews section.

BURNINATION!!

Last edited by Rdlcastle on Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:34 am 

I agree with the fact that it isn't his tricks that makes a magician what he is, it is his performing, but I still do believe that the magician will need 'tricks', if he doesn't then how can he perform. Learning new magic can always come in useful, if you are performing for the same person once in awhile he will need new material to perform to him, if you stick with 8 tricks then you will not be able to, you can't show him the same magic constantly can you now?
j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:42 pm 
Penguin

Location: Forget Normality, Spit on Mortality, What's Morality, Burn Humanity, Nothing could ever set you free
A magician needs his effects, yes, but having more effects does not make a better magician. As for the eight effects, i think i heard this from an artist who did walk around style in like mall food courts for strangers.

Thank you for reading my essay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:47 am 

Yes I *do* agree with you, and I stand by my original opinion that new material or tricks are *sometimes* needed, its always good for a magician to learn new magic to add into his act.
Always a pleasure reading the essays and reading peoples' thoughts and advice about magic.
j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:33 pm 
born to perform.

The 'Catologuing' is a good idea.

One thing I do opposed to this, is when I have an effect, ie: color changing ball to jumbo square, that has a few pieces. I'll put them all in a small ziploc bag, and label the bag. Then I put it in my magic suitcase(just a normal black suitcase, I keep all my props in).

This helps because I can just grab a bag, see the title, and inside contains everything I need to perform the effect incase I'm asked to do something quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:53 pm 
born to perform.

Location: An amatuer practices until he gets it right, a professional practices until he can't get it wrong...
Thanks for the catalouging idea, it helped a bunch!! Good S.A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:17 pm 
born to perform.

Yep, that's true, I agree with you, but It's always nice to learn tricks you ponder about for weeks on end...like some of Criss Angel's new stuff....I've got to figure that out, the levitation...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:28 am 
born to perform.

Very Good. Apreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:40 pm 
Penguin

Keep the comments comming. I appreciate people taking the time to read this little page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:30 am 
born to perform.

Let us ponder the words of Mr Derren Brown. When you strip away the trick from "magic trick", whats left?"

Think about it. Would your performance still be "magic" if you didnt do any tricks?

Just some food for thought

Post subject: asdf
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:24 pm 
Penguin

Completely agree. However, I feel that new magic is necessary, for those of us that are slightly less devoted, to keep interest. If I don't learn anything new in a month, I get kind of bored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:01 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
CATALOGUING
Get a stack of note cards. At the top, write the name of the effect. Write a small description of the of the effect. At the bottom, write out information such as how many spectators you need, angles, or special preparation. I don't know where I heard this idea, but it has helped me uncover some hidden gems in my arsenal and also helped me remember what effects I know.

To me that is one of the most important things you can do as a magician unless you have kept and practiced your same moves for years and know them by heart. i totally agree

Quote:
PREFORM
Preform multiple times a week. As a magician, you forfeit your sense of wonder. Seriously, recall the last time you saw a magic show. Compare your reaction to that of one you saw before you were into magic. There's a big difference between being truly amazed and being surprised. I know that I did not forfeit my sense of wonder to sit in front of a mirror and talk to myself while holding some cards.
What about you?

i also agree with this, because now when i see a trick being done whether i know it or not, ino matter how well its performed i just don't get the same reaction feelign as i did when i didn't know magic :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:14 am 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
Loved your article. I strongly agree with the classification of your effects.

I also support the notion that any trained monkey can do a magic trick, (and I've seen my share), but an artiste performs effects and miracles.