View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Shakes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:42 pm 
Penguin

Some people are easy and natural in everything they do... and they have no problem performing for 20 to 50 people....

My largest crowd was when i was a freshman in high school and a girl paid me a dollar to come outside and do some more magic... "for who?" i said.... "everybody!" She wasnt kidding... I go outside and expect the 6 or 7 spectators from the day before... Everybody... there were 75 to 80 people standing outside.... teachers, principals... The entire senior class, most juniors, half the sophmores, and a few freshmen.... I was armed only with the knowledge i gained from E's first street magic video, and ninja 1... did i shake? YOU BET!!!! Luckily i blew them away by making the starting quarterbacks card appear in the coke machine in the other room...

After many a cigar and glass of Scotch... i feel as though i have discovered the secret in overcoming the shakes...

*Simply have as much fun as possible...

*Be completely confident in everything...
even if your making it up as you go along...

*Enjoy your magic from the magicians perspective... and they will enjoy it
as spectators...

However it is difficult to learn that by me telling you, it is something that must be overcome by yourself...

* Practice overcoming your stage fright by getting on stage as much as possible...

The next year... i was cast as Master of Ceremonies for the Citywide talent show... There were several hundred people each night. Talk about the shakes... I fell in love with Acting, and music... and i performed every chance i could...

*The more "crowd practice" you have... the more likely you can captivate
a street crowd of 40 or 50 people...

However even if you are extremely shy... it is possible... My mother is 53 and sings in the church choir... She came home crying... completely petrified every time she was put on stage... (fairly large church). its been 3 years now... and just a week ago she came home and told me that she has finally discovered it... Shes not scared anymore... She let herself fall in love with the music and nothing else mattered... Magic is just the same. Fall in love with the magic... dont just act amazed... but be enamoured by the act your performing. This will gradually cure your stage fright... and the shakes will be a thing of the past... Today i find no problem captivating audiences as big as i can get them... It will also make you more natural and undoubtedly a better magician... Well i hope my addiction to ellipses didnt get under anyones skin... This was my first essay and i really hope i could help turn some small time magicians into big time performers of the arts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:19 pm 
born to perform.

another thing is to think:

i've done this so many times, it is highly likely it will go right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:56 pm 
Penguin

jameshp wrote:
another thing is to think:

I've done this so many times, it is highly likely it will go right now.

= confidence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:18 am 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
I've performed for a variety of sized groups, from one to over 600. The shakes are natural. It's your body's way of making sure you really want to do what you're about to do, which is put you and your reputation out there.

I still get nervous just before performing, but once I get started, and I'm in my element, it's gone, and it's fun.

Better than a caffiene high, the nervous shakes. Keeps ya sharp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:46 pm 
Penguin

jamesjay1 wrote:
Better than a caffiene high, the nervous shakes. Keeps ya sharp.

no joke...