View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jason Latimer: A Review
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:10 am 
Penguin

A few nights ago, the family and I went to see Jason Latimer. His big "thing" is to shift forward and focus on what will become of magic's future. While he does do some dazzling laser and water tricks, I'll get into those later, he also does a small segment where he kicks back with some good 'ol card manipulations! You can see this portion of the act here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ9NDOaYX-U

Then, he does a marvelous take on the levitating assistant. Not only does he pass a ring around her (not the old twice-around method, but a legitimite pass-around), but the entire setup is on a turn table, so we get to view the effect from all angles. Sorry, but I can't find a video for this :(

He did a cool little routine with "shaping water". The method is a bit obvious once viewed, but he does a good presentation.

And for a whopping finale, an eye-dazzling, mind-boggling display of what could be the first true innovation in magic. Check this video out and you'll see what I mean. Oh yes, and a very creative use for d'lites from 1:45-1:56 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-XoN1Ts6Wg

At the show, I caught the glow stick at the end :D

So, here are the final scores:

Presentation : 7/10 A bit talkative, but overall well.
Skill: 9.5/10 Great manipulations
Creativity: 10/10 That laser thing was ingenius

Overall: 9/10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:44 am 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
He's amazing, I just find bit a bit too cheesy somtimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:58 am 
born to perform.

Yeah, Jason is a great performer. He actually came to the castle a few days before his perfromance on the 10th of August and I as I was talking to him he stared describing to me some of the illusions he was going to perform and I was just like,How the [edited] does he plan to pull that off ? He was telling me about how he was going to mold smoke and bend fire. Then he started telling me about this aquarim that changes color to the music and he reaches in to the water and pulls it out and molds it into shapes. Then to proove it's water he pops it. Then he said, he starts pulling up columns of water. And then alas he reaches into the tank pulls up some water and molds it into the shape of a rose and as the tank changes to green the rose stem changes green and as the tank changes to red the rose pedals change red and then he turns it into a real rose. I unfortunatly was not able to make it to his performance but, I wish I could have.

Sean.McQuaid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:56 am 
born to perform.

seanbuyer896 wrote:
Yeah, Jason is a great performer. He actually came to the castle a few days before his perfromance on the 10th of August and I as I was talking to him he stared describing to me some of the illusions he was going to perform and I was just like,How the [edited] does he plan to pull that off ? He was telling me about how he was going to mold smoke and bend fire. Then he started telling me about this aquarim that changes color to the music and he reaches in to the water and pulls it out and molds it into shapes. Then to proove it's water he pops it. Then he said, he starts pulling up columns of water. And then alas he reaches into the tank pulls up some water and molds it into the shape of a rose and as the tank changes to green the rose stem changes green and as the tank changes to red the rose pedals change red and then he turns it into a real rose. I unfortunatly was not able to make it to his performance but, I wish I could have.

Sean.McQuaid

It sounds like Jason is a very creative and unique person. The laser illusion that I just saw I have never seen that performed before, and he had a great use for Dlite's that actually made sense, instead of just producing them at your fingertips and saying "Oh look, it's a light at my fingertips!". When he was pulling the Dlite's from the laser beam I was thinking to my self that that was the only time I've ever saw a Dlite being used properly.

As for what you said, I would of absolutely loved to catch his performance also. As I mentioned before, all of that sounds extremely creative and it would probably fool a couple of magicians too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:59 pm 
born to perform.

Maloney123 wrote:
seanbuyer896 wrote:

Sean.McQuaid

It sounds like Jason is a very creative and unique person. The laser illusion that I just saw I have never seen that performed before, and he had a great use for Dlite's that actually made sense, instead of just producing them at your fingertips and saying "Oh look, it's a light at my fingertips!". When he was pulling the Dlite's from the laser beam I was thinking to my self that that was the only time I've ever saw a Dlite being used properly.

As for what you said, I would of absolutely loved to catch his performance also. As I mentioned before, all of that sounds extremely creative and it would probably fool a couple of magicians too.

Yeeah, well he is definetly creative. He was actually telling me about his studio and he was telling me it was a big ware house and what they try to do is create illlusions that have never been done before. SO in that he is very creative. He also was giving me some greaat advic eon why you should build things as light as possible when building illusions because once you have full show with you it can get expensive to hull around and the heavier it is the mor etrcuks you need and it cost more. He was also telling me about how to book theaters. He is a reall ynice guy and really down to earth. I believe he was actually a magic castle junior himself. He was also telling about this 2 ton robot he bough tat an auction which was made for one of th ehulk movies I can't remeber which one though. He siad he is ten feet tall and after he is done putting him back together and fixing some parts ( I guess ome of the parts where salvaged off the robot) he plans to incorperate it into an effect.
Anyways, I jus thought I would share all tha twiht you guys.

thanks,

Sean.McQuaid