View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Old + Modern Magicians
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:26 am 

We all know the lenends, the old magicians that have left history in the world of magic, that have offered a great lot to the magic community with their inventions and their contributions. Some of these magicians are Ed Marlo, Larry Jennings, Jean Hugard, Le Paul, Houdini, Dai Vernon, Devant, etc. I could go on all day.
Unfortunately though many of these magicians don't exist any longer, we still do learn from what they have published. In our modern days new magicians come to the hall of fame more than we would imagine, i.e. Morgan Stebler all of a sudden to the magic community with his co-opperation with Penguin, same with Oz Pearlman. Alright I am not exactly referring to these, but we have modern magicians as Bill Malone, Lee Asher, Paul Harris, Paul Green, John Carney, Jay Sankey, Jamy Ian Swiss, Harry Blackstone (is he still alive? :oops: ), Tommy Wonder, Michael Close, Allan Ackerman, Rob stiff :lol: So yeah you get the message.

These are basically the modern magicians we depend on for the magic community today, releasing their next biggest effect or DVD.

So I'd like to know your thoughts of which modern magicians today sort of make you feel with their contributions that all the legends still exist in our modern days. I can't think of a way to explain this question but I am doing my best. Which magician/s do you admire as much as you used to admire the oldies? Every magician is unique and offers something different to the art, but for example you cannot compare Harry Lorayne with Rob Stiff or Oz Pearlman :D I think I get what you mean.

There are a lot of modern magicians I do admire, Paul Harris for his "killer" ideas of new moves and new effects, Lee Asher for his wonderful effects...Tommy Wonder, Jamy Ian Swiss, Michael Close...Michael Ammar.
I do not believe still that I will ever admire a modern magician as much as I have admired the oldies, that is just me. I'd like to hear you out on this one.
Also let me know if this is a silly question!
Jared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:06 am 
born to perform.

It's not a silly question.

Jamy Ian Swiss is my all time favourite magician. He's the most inspirational magician i've come across and he's extreamely passionate about magic.

I also admire Micheal Finney just for how funny he is. He's easily the best comedy magician i've seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:22 am 
born to perform.

I am a big fan of Paul Harris also, for his creative mind. Many (real) professional magicians use material by him. Also Bill Malone, Lee Asher, and Darwin Ortiz (you forgot him :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:34 am 
Penguin

dude u forgot richared sanders he is great his my favorite i also like the stuff from paul harris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:30 pm 
born to perform.

I don't care what anyone says, I love Jay Sankey. He takes older ideas, and improves them. He also comes up with amazing stuff of his own, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:12 pm 
born to perform.

I've always liked from the modern scene Lee Asher for his professionalism and sleights, Shoot Ogawa and Apollo Robbins, and Gregory Wilson's performing style. I developed my own style bits and pieces from the influences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:33 pm 
Penguin

You forgot Armando Lucero, Lennart Green, Michael Vincent, Paul Daniels and Whit Haydn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:27 pm 
Penguin

Cyril is awesome. I know that he was a part of T.H.E.M. It's too bad that the show got cancelled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:32 pm 
Penguin

Cyri doesn't release material, so is he a valid answer?

any way, I would vote john bannon. Everything he writes is worth its weight in gold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:52 pm 
Penguin

hey does anyone ever heard of karl norman. hes the guy that taught daivd blaine and taught copperfield for a little bit. well that guy is teaching another magician named Ted Brondene and hes teaching me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:02 pm 
Penguin

if you were taught by karl norman than did you ask him how to levitate like david blaine i think not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:12 pm 
Emperor Penguin

nic95 wrote:
if you were taught by karl norman than did you ask him how to levitate like david blaine I think not.

First, pretty much every magi, and some hecklers, knows the Balducci. Second off, the one foot levitation was camera editing. You should really stop viewing David Blaine as the best magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:26 pm 
Penguin

i'm just useing david as an example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:03 am 
born to perform.

The only two current magicians I admire as much as the legends are Paul Harris, for the unusual way he thinks and all the crazy magic this has brought us, and Jeff Mcbride for infusing magic with a heavy dose of art. I believe both of them will be thought of as legends in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:27 am 
born to perform.

Arthur Trace looks very interesting; the whole 'modern art interaction' motif.