View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Who Gets Your Vote... And Why???
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:11 pm 
Penguin

I'm just wondering who all the magi's in penguin town respect the most and why..... If you had to pick ONE magician only as your number one, who would it be and why?

Take into consideration presentation, material created, contribution to the art... and whatever else springs to mind. I think this post will be interesting, lets get this ball rolling!!..... Oh! Please down the much expected "you cant just pick one dude", I know that, I'm just wondering as in if you HAD TO pick one, who is it, and why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:13 pm 
Penguin

I personally respect Ed Marlo the most because he as contributed so much to the magic community. A lot of card magic was created by Ed Marlo. Thats why he gets my vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:28 pm 
Penguin

I the quetion is talking about magicians at penguin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:58 am 

RealMagic_JL wrote:
I the quetion is talking about magicians at penguin.

Nope he isn't, there was a misunderstanding about that and the thread went 2 pages long, so I had to split it. So everybody knows, Finny is asking about famous magicians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:56 am 
Penguin

Sorry! :oops: I didn't know that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:55 pm 
born to perform.

Location: ~looney~ veggies are good when they dance mommy! i like dancing!!!! sjfgdfyfydxyhdfydgpenguinnnnnnnn
Houdini and dooley get my vote. so does sankey, but for his magic, not his comedy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:33 pm 
born to perform.

Dead? Dai Vernon--Has contributed so much to the art, he's really a magician's magician.

Alive? Well this might be a surprise but....Whit Haydn. He is the best entertainer I have ever seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:15 am 

Vernon, by far. Dai Vernon is probably the greatest thinker ever, in regards to closeup magic. This man added theory and psychology to card magic. If you use cards and use a Palm, DL, or any of the other basic sleights, Vernon has had some influence on you. He had 14 different Linking Rings routines, depending on how many rings he had on him. Anywhere from 3 rings to 16 rings. He perfected and created more moves than anyone else that I know of and many are now very common moves with magicians. If you use the Ninja Rings, he created the Spin Link. He created moves to cover DLs that fool other magicians everytime I use them. Vernon is, in my opinion, the top magician I have ever seen in video. Unfortunately, he passed before I was 6 years old, so I hadn't heard of him before that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:12 am 
Penguin

Daryl....I like his style, prsentation, inventions.....almost everything.
I also respect Jay Sankey very much!

bye!

Post subject: The hall of fame
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:16 am 
Penguin

I personally think that Rene Lavand has to be considered one of the best ever. To accomplish what he has after what happened to him is incredible. Not only is he very skilled (only one hand) but his magic is beautiful and he presents it as a true art. For these reasons i think that we should all appreciate his work and sheer dedication to our art for many many years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:55 am 
Penguin

malini. defenetly malini. max malini preformed untill he died on 1942, he did a stage show with great success, and people use his tricks untill today. take a look at vernon- today, no one uses his routine anymore... we use the moves, but not the routines. well, mabe a few of the non-card routines like his c&b... malini still has some useable stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:20 pm 
born to perform.

Mallini is an excellent choice. And you'll see dozens of people on these boards complaining about small hands... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:31 pm 

MetronoM wrote:
malini. defenetly malini. max malini preformed untill he died on 1942, he did a stage show with great success, and people use his tricks untill today. take a look at vernon- today, no one uses his routine anymore... we use the moves, but not the routines. well, mabe a few of the non-card routines like his c&b... malini still has some useable stuff.

I use plenty of Vernon routines. My point is that he has had more influence in the world of Close Up magic than anyone else. The fact that we use the moves proves it. In regards to Card Magic, very few people actually stand up to Vernon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:27 pm 
born to perform.

Dai Vernon and Jay Sankey....
Vernon for all the same reasons exodus said (dang it jeff...)
and for sankey... go read beyond secrets... i dont have the time or the energy to list all of the reasons i respect that guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:03 pm 
Penguin

MetronoM wrote:
take a look at vernon- today, no one uses his routine anymore... we use the moves, but not the routines. well, mabe a few of the non-card routines like his c&b.

Uhmmm.... Lets see Triumph, Twisting the Ace? Have you heard of them, they are Vernon's and everyone still does those.

Dai Vernon was and will be the Greatest close-up magician ever. PERIOD.