View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:38 pm 
Penguin

I think DC is a great magician. He is the 1st "BIG" magician on TV. He had amazing TV specials. He is ONE OF THE BEST MAGICIANS EVER!!!

Post subject: Making the Statue of Liberty dissapear
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:15 pm 
Penguin

many people don't know how it's done but i do...
after extensive research on the web, i managed to get some info on how he does this. at the beginning of the trick people can see the statue clear as day through a single window. after a little bit, copperfield closes the curtains. during the time they are closed. the room and everybody in it, actually spins a little bit at an angle, without anybody knowing of course and then stops. this is obviously undetected and must be turned to the precise angle for the audiences view of the window. next, while the curtains are being opened two columns of light are directed at the window. nobody notices this because they are too busy trying to see if the statue actually disapeared. its gone. the reason is because the light reflects into the spectators eyes and with the angle of their view of the window, the statue no longer exists. I heard about there being a helicopter landing on the space where the statue was, it seems like that because the helicopter right next to the statue but from the angle of light it looks different. then he closes the curtains and everything goes back to normal. :twisted: for those of you who wont believe me, i understand but i'm just saying, it is true. well most of it, i may have missed a few things here and there but the main outline is correct, please post if you have any questions, thanx! :o :o :o :o :!:
P.S. to answer your main question, david copperfield is a genius!

Post subject: Re: Making the Statue of Liberty dissapear
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:03 pm 
Penguin

nicholas9 wrote:
after extensive research on the web, i managed to get some info on how he does this. at the beginning of the trick people can see the statue clear as day through a single window. after a little bit, copperfield closes the curtains. during the time they are closed. the room and everybody in it, actually spins a little bit at an angle, without anybody knowing of course and then stops. this is obviously undetected and must be turned to the precise angle for the audiences view of the window. next, while the curtains are being opened two columns of light are directed at the window. nobody notices this because they are too busy trying to see if the statue actually disapeared. its gone. the reason is because the light reflects into the spectators eyes and with the angle of their view of the window, the statue no longer exists. I heard about there being a helicopter landing on the space where the statue was, it seems like that because the helicopter right next to the statue but from the angle of light it looks different. then he closes the curtains and everything goes back to normal. :twisted: for those of you who wont believe me, i understand but i'm just saying, it is true. well most of it, i may have missed a few things here and there but the main outline is correct, please post if you have any questions, thanx! :o :o :o :o :!:

ExPOSURE!
p.s No, it's not done like that. He did it here in Hong Kong once.

Post subject: Re: David copperfield the greatest illusionist?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:24 pm 
Penguin

yes hes the best because his tricks are unique and nobody can think of better illusions and also hes my idol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:37 pm 
born to perform.

odomenech wrote:
I think he is great, Im not sure about being the greatest. There have been so many great illusionists. Houdini, Blackstone (Sr. and Jr.), Chun Lin Soo. Even today we have some greats, Lance Burton, the Pendragons, Penn and Teller. I dont know for sure.

I have a feeling that, in the end, David Copperfield will end up being in magic what Muhammad Ali is in boxing. A very memorable performer, well known by people everywhere, responsible for creating a spike in interest in their field, and widely considered the greatest by lay people. But never among the top 20 of anyone who know's list.

I Like Copperfield. But for some reason although his illusions are Not " over the top" as Copperfield's I preferr Lance Burton. Maybe it's his persona.. his down-home humility.. Kinda Like.. that favorite uncle everyone knows that can do a few tricks at the yearly thanksgiving dinner...

Post subject: Re: Making the Statue of Liberty dissapear
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:46 pm 
born to perform.

Balence wrote:
nicholas9 wrote:

ExPOSURE!
p.s No, it's not done like that. He did it here in Hong Kong once.

He made the Statue of Liberty Disappear in Hong Kong? Now that IS Magic!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:50 pm 
born to perform.

bugzzbunie wrote:
I think DC is a great magician. He is the 1st "BIG" magician on TV. He had amazing TV specials. He is ONE OF THE BEST MAGICIANS EVER!!!

Not by a Long Shot, first there was Mark Wilson...then Doug Henning... there may have been a few between, and a few after.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE Copperfield. ( I Love Lance Burton More though. )
But to say he was the first BIG Magician is just opinion how big is big? As to whether he is one of the best magicians ever??? Well, he may be one of the best alive today. The problem is, we KNOW what his illusions look like since we have a record. But All we have of Howard Thurston, Kellar, etc are 2nd hand accounts.

You cannot say who the best magician ever...was, since we do not have a record of magicians pre TV age... that means 1960's...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:56 pm 
born to perform.

I have to add my 2 cents worth here. I have seen Copperfield's show dozens of times. I've worked with him on a few occasions, and he truly is one of the greatestest illusionists. Is he the best EVER? Who knows. David has a passion for his work like no other. Even though he is at the toip of his game, the highest paid magician in the world, in the top 5 of the highest paid live entertainers, and is clearlty the most recognized performer in the field of magic, he's very humble and appreciative of the people who work with him, for him, and appreciates his audience. Despite the allegations a few months ago, he has always been found to be a man of upstanding character. BTW...Isn't it strange how that whole rape thing just seemed to disappear? Ladies and Gentlemen, David does it it again. Let's see Kobie Bryant pull that off. hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:43 pm 
Penguin

magic_reza wrote:
I think he is awesome but if you think about it..hes got soooo much money he could almost get ANYTHING made, just a thought

That is a very good point to consider. I think many magicians could do what Copperfield does if given the opurtunity, but it wouldn't work the other way around. I also agree with Clarissa in that I prefer Lance Burton due to his homegrown charm and pleasant persona. Copperfield's illusions have never seemed that over-the-top to me in the sense that it has really amazed me or enchanted me like other illusions have. Like Lance Burton's sword fight, or the Pendragon's Metamorphosis. Copperfield can be good at closeup, but he doesn't do enough of it. I've always found those segments of his more enterataining than his big scale illusions. I'll take his Misled or Dream of Aces anyday, or even Crazy Man's handcuffs over vanishing the Statue of Liberty or walking through the Great Wall of China. Those types of illusions just scream "smoke and mirrors" too much for me whereas the others I mentioned look like pure magic and require precision-honed skill. Just my two cents worth on the matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:21 pm 
born to perform.

I've seen DC do The Liberty Vanish, and the Great Wall thing. But what really astonished me was how he did " Grandpa's Aces" and I still remember his Bill Switch.

The Bill switch was very funny... after he changes the Hundred into a single.. " want to see it again? Got another hundred?" and " I wish I could do this in reverse all day, then I wouldn't have to work"... or the bit where he hands it to the guy in the first row and says.." pass that back!!"

I somehow sense that DC is most comfortable when performing the Big Stage Illusions, and while he shines in sleight of hand he may not be 100 % comfortable with it, since so little of it appears on his TV shows. Then again, maybe it's Layman expectation... for some reason they want to see the Statue of Liberty Vanish, and the Walking through the Great Wall of China...

me I'd be happy if he did an Hour of card effects... but that's just me :P