View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cyril Takayama Effects and Fans?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:13 pm 
Penguin

To start off, I must say that Cyril Takayama has quickly become one of my favorite magicians... while most of his work is in Japan, his presentation style, sleight of hand ability, and overall choices of effects to perform have made me a follower.

While I've got a handle on a lot of his effects, there are a few that BLOW my mind.. and I was wondering if people could possibly give me some ideas as to whether I can learn more about these specific effects? (Don't tell me how to do them.. but where I may need to purchase the gimmicks or such...)

Visual 4 of diamonds to 6 of diamonds change
http://sweetmeatpumpkinjournal3.castpos ... 49452.html
(I think I've seen a "gimmick" for the 4 of diamonds changing into the 6 of diamonds like this visually, but I'm not sure...)

Cap to Bottle
http://sweetmeatpumpkinjournal3.castpos ... 55790.html
(I believe this is two different effects... one with impossible cap to bottle, followed by Cap in Bottle by Rey Ben. Can anyone confirm this, and finally, point me in the direction of the final straw effect?)

Match Magic
http://sweetmeatpumpkinjournal3.castpos ... 52886.html
(only part I don't remember is the "returning the burnt match to the pack" concept... help?)

Refilling Water Bottle
http://sweetmeatpumpkinjournal3.castpos ... 44281.html
(No idea how to make water reappear like that... help?)

Everthing Moves through Glass
http://sweetmeatpumpkin.castpost.com/122025.html
(No idea on everything past the coin passing the table... seriously, who makes a salt shaker pass through a table?)

Old Man Lean and Sneeze
http://sweetmeatpumpkinjournal.castpost.com/113112.html
(Can anyone point me in the direction of where to purchase the plans for a set-up for the sneeze off head, or how he leans forward like that in the beginning?)

And the last two, are just for your viewing pleasure.. I'd love to learn more, but honestly, I don't think I'd be able to use these much in performance...

Breaking Chopsticks with his Shadow
http://sweetmeatpumpkinjournal.castpost.com/113106.html

Burger out of the Wall
http://sweetmeatpumpkinjournal.castpost.com/113135.html

Thanks! And have a good Thanksgiving to those who celebrate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:20 pm 
Penguin

I don't like him, he isn't anything special. Well to me anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:52 pm 
Penguin

The first match trick it is taught in underground magic. You can do the second part were the coin goes to the matchbook with the Xpert by Neil Tobin, or just vanish the coin.(if you have the xpert you will know what I mean.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:07 pm 
Penguin

You can buy the trick where he is the old man and leans that is called the lean and you can buy it here. Edited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:07 pm 
born to perform.

he is nothing special but depend on expensive gimmicks and gaffs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:25 am 
Penguin

I think most of these links are showing the 'typical' stuff he does for the lay-close-up people.

His illusions are fantastic and years above most of what is on tv or in Vegas.

His dexterity is amazing in person and only those like Shoot Ogawa can compare.

He's a real nice guy in person and has the whole package. He's from the Jr. Program at the Magic Castle here in Hollywood and has grown immensely.

Many amatures won't understand why he's so good because he isn't about the silly 'doom and gloom' or 'pick up chicks' type of mindset.

His great stuff uses ordinary objects doing extraordinary things.

Notice how normal he is. No 'character' acting, no misdirection from who he is nor the spectator. (the old man thing is just a funny gag)

I'm waiting to see who will top him eventually. Someone always does. But, I think he'll have a place because of the thinking he's put into some of the original illusions he's created rather than be a fad like, unfortunately Blain became and Angel is on his way to if he isn't careful.

I'm seeing Jeff McBride this weekend at a lecture at the Magic Castle and it will be fun to ask him about his opinion about the effects Cyril has on the audience he's creating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:26 am 
Penguin

Quote:
I'm waiting to see who will top him eventually.

I don't know about Blaine cause im not a real fan of him, but Criss Angel is way above this guy. What tricks has he created?? all of those just look like expensive tricks you can buy, and I saw people going crazy over him doing the amazing linking livesavers trick!!! That's not anything special!! I received that trick for free. His stuff just seems so common and nothing that special for him to be on T.V. and stuff. The only trick that really amazes me is the burger one, the rest are just ehh.. Also no character??? Wow... that's very ...uhh...talented :roll: .Anyways I admit this guy isn't bad or anything, just not what he has been hyped up to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:22 pm 
born to perform.

OMG... ARE YOU SERIOUS... Criss Angel does not come up with most of his stuff whereas Cyril DOES create almost all of his effects! He has awesome talent and ALL of his effects are fantastic. And nwo1, I am sure you don't have a character yourself, and if you do then you’re most probably concentrating on your character rather than your audiences and how they perceive the effect... IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY that you can sit there and say this,

"Those just look like expensive tricks you can buy, and I saw people going crazy over him doing the amazing linking lifesavers trick!!! That's not anything special!! I received that trick for free."

WHO CARES... if the linking life savers trick is easy... WHO CARES... he performed it absolutely amazing and that’s why he got those reactions. Maybe you should try get me some footage of you getting those types of reactions using the 'OH so not special linking lifesaver gimmick'... Common you say?? Common and Cyril... That’s an oxymoron; he has produced and CREATED many effects which have floored his audiences! You sir have to step out of the magic community and take a breath away from all the methods of these tricks and start looking at the effects as an entity and start looking at how YOU can model yourself in a way that your effect are not so technique and patter orientated, STEP OUT OF YOUR CHARACTER and perform magic for the spectators and you will see your magic flourish and bloom as is with Cyril’s magic. This type of comment is so common from people on this board and I wish that it could stop... One day... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:47 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
OMG... ARE YOU SERIOUS... Criss Angel does not come up with most of his stuff

I didn't say he did.

Quote:
Cyril DOES create almost all of his effects

How about some examples?

Quote:
And nwo1, I am sure you don't have a character yourself

How would you know do you spy on me or something you freak.

Quote:
and if you do then you’re most probably concentrating on your character rather than your audiences

Yeah, cause everybody trys to have a character and not worry about their audience. :roll:

Quote:
IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY that you can sit there and say this

A lot of people say things that me angry too, but there is no reason to get all uppity about it. It's just what I think about him.

Quote:
WHO CARES... if the linking life savers trick is easy...

I don't care, I just think that it's a ridiculous trick to show on T.V..

Quote:
Maybe you should try get me some footage of you getting those types of reactions using the

I think anyone with that trick could get good reactions like that.

Quote:
Common you say??

Yep, that's what I said.

Quote:
start looking at how YOU can model yourself in a way that your effect are not so technique and patter orientated

Cause having a technique and patter are such horrible things, my mistake.

Quote:
STEP OUT OF YOUR CHARACTER and perform magic for the spectators

Ummmm...because I wasn't showing people magic before???...darn, jokes on me I guess.

Quote:
This type of comment is so common from people on this board and I wish that it could stop

Really, I haven't really seen to many posts about Cryil before.

Quote:
will see your magic flourish and bloom as is with Cyril’s magic.

Thanks, but no thanks.

p.s. Calm down before you have a heart-attack. If I don't like Cyril it's not the end of the world. [/quote]

Post subject: WHAT
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:33 am 
Penguin

nwo1 are you serious.
Quote:
I don't know about Blaine cause im not a real fan of him, but Criss Angel is way above this guy.

Criss ANgel is above no one. Anyone with camera man and a computer can match or surpass Criss Angels performance. All that you see on his shows is digitally edited B.S.. People like you need to get over these T.V. performers because there shows have more editing and special effects then power rangers, Espescially Criss Angel. I guarentee you will not meet a magician who has saw Criss Angel perform one of his amazing tricks and you will not see him do one either because he uses stooges (actors) and editing to perform his tricks. And if you ever see a Criss Angel live performance it will not compare to one of his T.V. shows. Thats why his great tricks are never published.

Post subject: WHAT
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:34 am 
Penguin

nwo1 are you serious.
Quote:
I don't know about Blaine cause im not a real fan of him, but Criss Angel is way above this guy.

Criss ANgel is above no one. Anyone with camera man and a computer can match or surpass Criss Angels performance. All that you see on his shows is digitally edited B.S.. People like you need to get over these T.V. performers because there shows have more editing and special effects then power rangers, Espescially Criss Angel. I guarentee you will not meet a magician who has saw Criss Angel perform one of his amazing tricks and you will not see him do one either because he uses stooges (actors) and editing to perform his tricks. And if you ever see a Criss Angel live performance it will not compare to one of his T.V. shows. Thats why his great tricks are never published.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:30 am 
Penguin

Quote:
Anyone with camera man and a computer can match or surpass Criss Angels performance.

Yeah, hey, wait a second Cyril is anyone isn't he??

Quote:
Criss ANgel is above no one

Yeah that must be the reason he was named magician of the year. :roll:

Quote:
nwo1 are you serious.

yes

Quote:
And if you ever see a Criss Angel live performance it will not compare to one of his T.V. shows.

If you say his tricks are fancy camera tricks, how can do these live performances than?

Quote:
People like you need to get over these T.V. performers because there shows have more editing and special effects then power rangers,

Cause Cyril some how mind controlled all of his performances to the internet. No cameras what so ever.

The fact is you can't believe anything you see on T.V. Cryril, Blaine, Criss, or anyone. So perhaps it's best if the arguement stops cause it keeps going nowhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:07 am 
born to perform.

Two examples off the top of my head of Cyril's created effects are both his Card through windows and his burger trick...

Secondly I gave you two statements, one which backed that you had a character and one that you don't... I dono if you do, only you know that, perhaps you want someone to spy on you? :? Wateva floats your boat dude...

What you THINK is ok... But not when you say stuff like tricks like the linking lifesavers can be performed by ANY magician and get the same reaction... I am still awaiting your video to see if you can perform it better than Cyril...

Most magicians are so focused on techniqe that they forget about their audience and this is one thing Cyril takes into account and that is why he gets the reactions he does from even simple tricks like the linking lifesavers trick.

From your word son thsi forum all I can TELL is that you are like most of the new magicians around here who focus so much on their moves when performing taht they forget who they are performing for and that is soemthing lacking in magic today.

I never said it was a comment common to ONLY cyril threads... I said it's a common comment from people on this board, nothing more, nothing less...

It's FINE that you don't want to be like Cyril, but at least look at his magic and see how his performances can influence you to become better at what you do, do not simply disregard him just because he has his own TV specials...

Now I know your going to try and argue every point that I made... I don't care if your to ignorant to learn from what I have said... I mean I even learnt a couple of things from your statements even if not magic related...

Good luck...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:12 pm 
born to perform.

Location: President of the Sluggo for U.S. President Committee
Cyril is GREAT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:51 pm 
Penguin

Cyril is awesome...... But I like danny garcia better. Dont like Criss or Blaine. I hate people who use stooges.