View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A juggling video...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:01 pm 
Penguin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ThYwTrNjg

If you want, take a look and let me know what you think.

Post subject: Re: A juggling video...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:45 pm 

Nice! So, tell us non-jugglers what the numbers in the corner of the screen mean.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:12 pm 
born to perform.

Wow, very nice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:39 pm 
Penguin

Thank you!

The numbers are a way of "naming" tricks so that you can know how to do them just by their name. It is a system called "siteswap" or site swap... Whichever works best.

Each juggling pattern has a specific height at which you should juggle it. 3 balls would peak around your nose/forehead. 4 balls would peak at the top of your head or a bit higher. 5 balls are anywhere from 1 foot to 2 feet above your head... etc. etc.

Now the numbers correspond to each ball and each throw. For example, when juggling 3 balls, the name usually given to it is "the cascade". But if you were to hear "Hey! Do the cascade!" you may not know what that means. If we call it by its siteswap name, 333, then we know the first ball is thrown at a 3 ball height, the second ball is thrown at a 3 ball height, and the third ball is thrown at yet another 3 ball height.

You still with me?

Moving along, another 3 ball trick (siteswap) is something called a 531. The first ball is thrown HIGH at a five ball height. The second ball is thrown lower at a THREE ball height. the third ball is a 1. This means you QUICKLY pass the ball (or a fast and straight toss) from hand to hand.

Odd numbers will always cross over to the other hand. Even numbers will always come back down to the same hand. (Such as when doing four balls (Really just two balls in on hand... but with both hands...) the siteswap pattern is 4444 and the balls will always stay in the hands they start in.)

So when doing the five ball patterns in the video, you see 744 as one of the first numbers. This means while I am doing the five ball pattern. (55555) I will break and throw a 7 height (with my right hand) then a 4 height (with my left hand) then another 4 height (right hand) and then continue back into the five ball pattern (5 with my left hand, then 5 height with my right hand... etc. etc.)

Now here is something cool about juggling. You can make up your own tricks if you know basic math!

If you want to know if a trick will work, you add up all the numbers in the pattern (5+5+5+5+5 = 25) and divide by the number of balls you are using (5 in this case) if it works out to be divisible by that number, the trick will work! (25/5=5!) Or more complex 7+4+4+5+5=25...25/5=5

With three balls we would see 3+3+3=9... 9/3=3 OR 5+3+1 = 9... 9/3=3

But when you juggle, you want to make sure to do something called "running" a trick. This means that you want to make sure to do it a number of times on each side. Going back to the video, you will see me do 744 (i think) 4 times in a row. So the siteswap would be 744744744744. But because we are all smart cookies, we can shorten it to just 744 and know to connect it. So while the 7 will start with the right hand, the next seven would come from the left hand and so on, until you decide to go back into the five ball pattern (Or start another siteswap! ;)

All in all, it is an easy way to convey what tricks you will do, in what order, and know the degree of difficulty. (Some heights are harder than others.)

Then there are things called multiplexes where you throw two or more balls out of the hand at the same time... but that is more complex and difficult to describe in words.

A quick handy guide to what siteswap numbers mean
0 = no ball in the hand
1 = pass the ball quickly to other hand
2 = hold the ball (or a REALLY small toss)
3 = 3 ball cascade height (basic pattern)
4 = 4 ball height (2 in one hand)
5 = 5 ball height (higher and faster 3 ball pattern)
6 = 6 ball height (just like four balls, but three in each hand)
and so on and so on
After a while they start going into letters... that just means extremely high throws!
a = high crossing throw
b = high same hand throw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:25 am 

Wow, I'm almost sorry I asked. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:50 am 
Penguin

Heh, yes... It got a bit long winded.

But... THE MORE YOU KNOW!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:48 am 
Penguin

Wow. That was really good for only one year. Your 3 club back x look really good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:52 am 
Penguin

Thanks! I have been working on those back crosses so much. They are a lot of fun to do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:03 pm 
born to perform.

I actually read that whole post and WOW. Great info thanks for that!

-JT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:57 pm 
Penguin

You read that, and you're probably thinking "when would I ever siteswap notation in real life"? Well you're not unless you're a juggler.

So. Your reward for learning a useless piece of information is this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eWn0dRHwIQ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:45 am 
Penguin

That video is a good one to watch, now that we all know our useless siteswap info.