View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Halloween Horror!!!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:27 pm 
born to perform.

Okay so I have a buddy here in Korea who owns his own Hagwon. A Hagwon is kind of private tutoring academy that are common here. My buddy went to college in Canada and in addition to adopting many western mannerisms and tastes he came back with a love of Halloween. So last year he wanted to have a Halloween party at his school and asked if I could do some magic. I showed up thinking it was going to be a party and I would just drift room to room doing magic only to find that he had lined up fifty of his students outside his Hagwon to watch me do tricks. Me with only close up tricks! Oops! So this year his business has grown and I have learned from the mistakes of the past. I knew that he would line up his kids and I would need to do a sort of Stage show outside on the street. So I came prepared and even organized a haunted house that the kids could go through after the show.

I spent the better part of a month putting together the magic show, props for the haunted house, and finding volunteers for the big day. He would provide the BBQ and some awnings in case it rained. I dutifully organized and sent out instructions on what needed to be done by who and when it would be needed. My magic tricks were bigger and the haunted house was scary and I thought all was good.

So the day arrives and sure enough it starts to rain. The first problem was that my friend didn’t get enough rain cover for both audience and magician. I had hoped, using stage props, that there would be a bit of separation between me and the audience. Not so much to protect my angles but so that everyone could see. With the rain coming down 50 kids started huddling around the magician like zombies in a Romero film. So my first bummer was that I had to move out in the rain so everyone could see(everyone knows that zombies hate the rain right?) I did two shows for about 50 kids each. The first one only had a few hiccups. I started with Black Eight and then planned on going into a haunted pack in keeping with the “spirit” of the season. Well because the magician was wet so was the wax I needed for the haunted pack. I got the feeling that something was amiss (as most tread workers do after they have done it a while) and sure enough the wax had popped right off. I recovered with a simple card control but that doesn’t play to well to a large group. So I moved on and didn’t have another hiccup until I hit “Bisection.” So I crawl in my hoop curtain only to find out that the Bisection gimmick won’t work when it is wet! After probably 30 seconds (felt like an hour) of messing around in there I realized there was no way and just dropped the curtain and moved on to my closer. Poor kids were probably really confused. They just watched the big MeGook jump behind a curtain for no apparent reason?

So the second show was even worse! We cleared out the first group of kids and huddled the second group in the tent. By now my cards are soaked…as am I and the rest of my props. I start my opener with the wet cards and out of the corner of my eye I see a reporter my friend had invited to the event had his camera stuck and an angle unfriendly location! Now the worst he might have seen was a palmed card but I’m still worried that pictures of a magician flashing a trick might wind up on youtube and that magician might be me! So that ticked me off a little bit but when I shooed him away he stood between me and my audience! I don’t even know what was going on in that idiots head? I realize that I wasn’t performing on a real stage but still…is it acceptable practice here in Korea for a reporter to walk up on stage, peek behind the stage, and then stand right in front of the audience? So I told my buddy to get him away from me and he finally was shooed away. It then came time for the spirit slates but when I went for the reveal the rain had washed away the message! I was so frustrated I just tossed the slates to the ground and started laughing. So I realize that I really need to start entertaining and I just skipped about 1/2 the act and went straight into some escape tricks. Thankfully straight jackets and handcuffs work in the rain! I’m a natural ham so the straitjacket worked even better with me thrashing about in a driving rain storm.

So we went on to the haunted house. I had a nice plan for how we would queue the kids up and guide them through the haunted house in a nice orderly way. Anyone who has been to Asia has probably experienced their attitude towards nice orderly queues. They much prefer throngs of people pushing and shoving especially when they really want to get out of a rain storm! It went as well as can be expected. A few of the littler kids went running out of the haunted house after the first two exhibits. Poor little guys. (But if you have ever done a Haunted house you kind of hope for things like that to happen!)

Thank god it’s all over. I’m still a bit ticked at the reporter but I can’t be mad at my friend. It’s just a lesson we all have to learn. Your laymen friends just know that you do magic. They don’t know the difference between stage, close-up, parlor. They don’t understand angles, both to protect secrets and to maximize the audiences view. And while things certainly didn’t go as planned I managed to roll with the punches and the kids had a great time and my friend was delighted. After all I did it for them…not my ego.

Post subject: Re: Halloween Horror!!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:44 pm 
born to perform.

Sounds thrilling, glad you made it out alive. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:14 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks. I'm happy I made it out too. Fortunatly I have no serious plans for a while. This weekends plan, cop a squat, pop a brew, and watch some Sankey Videos I just got. Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:08 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
This weekends plan, cop a squat, pop a brew, and watch some Sankey Videos I just got.

That sentence made my day. :)