View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blindside
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:15 pm 
Penguin

Greens4245 wrote:
Now that I think about it, that might be the same episode that he was performing a card trick and my 85 year old grandmother looked at me and said "Did he just perform a pass" and she knows nothing about magic. It was so freaking obvious.

For starters you claim your grandma knows nothing about magic and yet you state that she said
Quote:
"Did he just perform a pass"
which I don't believe, but if it 's true how would she know what a pass is unless someone has told her.

Second if you die would you like to be buried in? A KISS coffin or A Criss Angel coffin because that's what it's getting to... Criss is putting his name and/or logo on too many things.

Third I will say that the woman in two and champagne bucket on the spectator hands and others like it are cheesy effects, but you can't expect him to do sleight of hand all the time because he's not entertaining the magicians watching... he's entertaining the general public who have little or no magical knowledge.

And finally I will say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with him exposing tricks on TV because it's not ruining anything for anyone... what he's doing trying to build a interest in magic for aspiring magicians... getting there feet wet in a sense and hopefully there they'll make the next step and head to a real or online magic shop and start learning more.

And if you think it's a way for Criss to promote his DVDs you're right because it may happen but once people finish watching them... they may go off and learn more from other magicians and start defining a style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:25 pm 
born to perform.

I completely disagree that pulling apart a woman is a cheesy effect. Maybe as a magician it seems that way because its blatantly obvious to us as to how it works-

but people that don't know how it works will swear pulling someone apart right in front of them is absolutely impossible, and that Angel had to use cgi for that illusion.

If you look at Angel's videos posted by people on youtube as well, that is one of the most commonly posted videos because its one of his most talked about effects.

As for the other stuff, I agree mostly.

However, I have to admit, I'm starting to wonder why magicians are so against stooges and camera tricks now.

I used to agree it hurts magicians who perform daily, because it does. It can make our performances look much worse at times under the right conditions.

But then once I began working towards posting my own videos on myspace, I realized that I too can do the things Angel is doing on tv on my media-- the internet.

My point is we are no longer at a disadvantage to tv magicians because we have the internet as our media now, which means the camera and/or stooges are at our disposal as well now.

So why not use them? Tv magicians are using them, so what is the difference between them using it on tv and us using it on the internet through things like myspace or our websites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:27 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Tonto, is that you??? Your scaring me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:21 am 
born to perform.

lol

yeah its me.....

maybe I'm turning to the dark side or something lol....

idk I'm just not seeing why not to use stooges and camera tricks moderately anymore since I realized they are available to all of us..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:20 am 
born to perform.

If more magicians start using camera tricks and stooges then even more people are going to expect us to do the impossibly impossible, and personally I don't want to have to deal with people asking me to levitate 15 feet into the air or make a card appear inside of someones skull. Of course those are pretty extreme situations, but it gets the point across, camera editing and stooges are bad for business, at least in my oppinion.

Now keeping a camera at an angle so as not to expose an effect is completely different, that is just having the camera at the angle that the spectator would be in, and is simply protecting the secret.

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:53 pm 
born to perform.

I agree with Mat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:20 pm 
Penguin

MagicKevin11383 wrote:
I too agree with this post i esepcially got turned off when he did the illusion of ripping the women in two on the park bench i mean gee how obvious can you get that it was a stooge. Great effect-poor planning if you took a random person on the street and acually ripped them in half do you really think they'll smile at their other half and start running away on their hands??? Yeah right, if he did that to me I would lay their in shock NOT run away laughing and smiling very poor planning on his part. And for those of you who say I am exposing this illusion all I have to say is watch the illusion he basically exposes himself.

Yea but it was darn fun to see the faces of those people :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:29 pm 
Penguin

hey i have a question what the heck is a stooge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:37 pm 

Stooge is an assistant who masquerades as an audience member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:46 pm 
Penguin

thnxs :D man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:42 pm 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
Stooge is an assistant who masquerades as an audience member.

Also Larry, Moe, Curly :)

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:42 am 
born to perform.

And don't forget Shemp!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:59 am 
Penguin

harleyxyz wrote:
hey i have a question what the heck is a stooge

A stooge is a small, furry, clawed marsupial that will attack at random.
Dont get near a stooge, it might just be the last thing you ever do :lol:

But really, what famous magician doesnt use stooges?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:33 pm 
Penguin

i hope that is a joke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:01 pm 
Penguin

thecooltonto wrote:
I completely disagree that pulling apart a woman is a cheesy effect. Maybe as a magician it seems that way because its blatantly obvious to us as to how it works-

but people that don't know how it works will swear pulling someone apart right in front of them is absolutely impossible, and that Angel had to use cgi for that illusion.

If you look at Angel's videos posted by people on youtube as well, that is one of the most commonly posted videos because its one of his most talked about effects.

As for the other stuff, I agree mostly.

However, I have to admit, I'm starting to wonder why magicians are so against stooges and camera tricks now.

I used to agree it hurts magicians who perform daily, because it does. It can make our performances look much worse at times under the right conditions.

But then once I began working towards posting my own videos on myspace, I realized that I too can do the things Angel is doing on tv on my media-- the internet.

My point is we are no longer at a disadvantage to tv magicians because we have the internet as our media now, which means the camera and/or stooges are at our disposal as well now.

So why not use them? Tv magicians are using them, so what is the difference between them using it on tv and us using it on the internet through things like myspace or our websites?

O_O if what your saying is serious then you can just forget magic being a true art.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next