View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Criss Angel and Camera trickery-My Video
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:16 pm 
born to perform.

I created a video based on his effect "Phone in Bottle", that should be a kind of proof of his camera trickery...

I think this video shows that Criss isn't afraid to do tricks on television which cannot be done in front of a live audience...its sad that he needs a full room of stooges to pull off some of his effects...

Tell me what you think of this video and maybe...of Criss?

Link removed by the evil mod that won't allow exposure on this forum - X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:31 pm 
Penguin

Very nice... I like it... it'll probably get removed for 'exposing' the trick, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:37 pm 
born to perform.

But as I said, you cannot perform this effect without a full room of stooges and a camera team, and it was already exposed on the "phone in bottle"-thread, so I don't think this is hard exposure...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Oh my god!!!!!!!you have shown me the light!!!!!!!!

Where exactly in this video of your's does it show anything different than what was on the actual showing of the effect. We all knew he sleeved the phone to begin with, you have yet to prove that the phone switch couldn't be done using other means, like say a topit and a duplicate bottle. This is just garbage and needs to be removed!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:34 pm 
born to perform.

Cool down, buddy...picture this, you are holding a bottle on the neck, the bottom pointing upwards, then a cut is occuring, a second later your are in the same position, but with a diffrent bottle...I don't think that's possible with a topit without being seen by the audience...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:41 pm 
Emperor Penguin

sure it is, have you ever seen a good topit routine?
Also, sorry about the way I came off on that, I was just having fun.

This is the same thing people said about his ring in ice cube effect, everyone says it was edited and they switched the cube in with a cut. It was in no way edited as the entire effect was shown without cuts!

I believe that the cut was there to keep the effect from being watched over and over and over again untill it was figured out, notice how he has his back to the major part of the audience at the time of the cut, this was so he could switch the bottles without the 50 or so people watching seeing what he was doing. I believe the people on the couch were stooges, obviously since the phone rang and it was the girls mom, but the effect can be done without editing, its just not good to do it on t.v. where people can watch over and over again and figure it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:01 pm 
born to perform.

And look at the way he pretends having a cellphone in his hand before he slams the hand against the bottle...near everyone behind him could see on his obviously empty hand...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:10 pm 
Emperor Penguin

No, you couldn't at first glance, if that is true then why did you slow down the video so everyone can see, he did it so fast that I didn't know what he did the first time I watched it, after seeing it again I saw what he did. The people there saw him slam his hand really fast and weren't able to see the sleeving. Remember that the hand is quicker than the eye, there is a possiblity this effect was edited to make it possible, but I highly doubt it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:31 pm 
born to perform.

I mean the moment before he slams his hand against the bottle...he holds the hand in that position without moving for like two seconds...everyone behind him(the "major part of the audience" as you said) could see his empty hand...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:37 pm 
Emperor Penguin

No they couldn't, his body was blocking their view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:16 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Posts:5479 President and head leader of the cannot join unless you are Serbian club!And also Canada
I agree with Magikrn on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:20 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Thank you ronaldhino, I don't believe this to be camera trickery, except to keep from exposing the secret.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:11 pm 
Penguin

What many of Angel's defenders don't understand is that what they see on Mindfreak is a performance created for television.

Unlike myself and other full-time performers, Criss Angel doesn't wander about clubs, streets, private parties, corporate events and so forth performing from a repetoire of magic tricks he has honed. What you see on Mindfreak is the result of a controlled taping of a performance of a trick designed and rehearsed to be taped and used exclusively on the television show. What you see is an edited compilation of the best shots from several takes just like any other film of television show.

You are not seeing a spontaneous event where Criss just showed up and started doing impromptu tricks for whoever happened to be there as it is made to seem. The location has been scouted and cleared for shooting. The crew has set up lights and props and the audience has been hired and rehearsed. The effect is then shot mutiple times until the director is sure he has enough coverage to edit together a good looking piece of television.

The reason this works so well and fools so many people, especially, it seems young magicians, is that the impromptu 'reality television' feel of the footage makes you think you are seeing a magician performing impossible things in the real, ungimmicked, unprepared world for total strangers. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Nothing you see on Mindfreak has anything to do with real world performing by magicians. So to compare and discuss it as if you have seen a tape of a real magician performing for a real audience is naive and ridiculous. To argue about sleeving and topiting and other techniques a performer would use to perform a real effect for paying customers is pointless. On Mindfreak you are seeing a one time performance, meticulously shot and edited to create an illusion of casual performance of magic. It's television magic pure and simple. And unless you aspire to be a television-only performer (or a television director), concerning yourself with the non-magic techniques used to create the footage is a waste of time.

You'd be better served by concentrating on learning six good sleight-of-hand tricks you can make your own. Because in the real world people will be watching you live and in real time and you won't have the luxury of a video edit to make you look good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:23 pm 
Emperor Penguin

So what you are saying, is that all his effects are in a controlled environment and are not for live audiences. What about the poker chip routine he did right before the cell phone, what about the shadow coins effect he did with the poker chips, what about the effect where he turned an almond into a bug? What about the ring in ice effect where they showed the effect without cuts? I don't see where you are coming up with this accusation that the magic he performs isn't real magic. Of course he didn't really make the cell phone penetrate glass, that would be "real magic", but he did create the illusion of doing so, whether you believe it can't be done in real time or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:45 pm 
born to perform.

I also have to agree with magikrn on this one. I already new he was sleeving the phone but that doesn't mean his trick couldn't be done live. How else would you do it. Also it would be pretty easy to switch it out wiht a topit. i still dont think this trick is worth the setup required though. Also the camera probably cut away because he was most liekly using misdirection wiht the audience to swith them out and the camera cut away as the tv audiences misdirection. THis really dsoesn't proove anyhting except Criss did a pretty good sleeve of a cell phone. Another than all from what I wrote above. The video was nicley edited. Good editeing.

Sean

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next