View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mindfreak: Season 1 or 2 Which, was better?
Season 1 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Season 2 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
They were both great. 38%  38%  [ 15 ]
They both sucked. 26%  26%  [ 10 ]
They were equal. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 39
Author Message
 Post subject: Maybe I've Been Too Hard On Angel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:42 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 225
Don't get me wrong, the first season was crap. Angel was doing nothing but stooge hiring, audience buying, camera stopping junk. However, in his second season I have been more impressed (not impressed but not appauled).

In the first season, the only impressive stuff was the show enders. This is where Angel has always shown brightest. However, his close-up material was all staged or used stooges. He did alot of angle sensitive tricks while surrounded (his levitation for one).

In the new season he is showing a little more artistry and skill. I loved the cell phone in bottle (and even came up with my own version). He also performs a very well produced Dancing Hankerchief routine, and the very stylish "1.3 Second Metamorphosis". I also enjoyed his newspaper trick with the voice over guy from "Life Styles of the Rich and Famous" (obvious method [to me] but well performed).

Hopefully Angel is turning around and doing some better magic, and not the trash he was doing before.

Give me some feedback people.

P.S. I never bothered to buy either of his Masterminds videos, but I developed a method for each. Could someone who has one and/or both send me a PM. If his method is different I might buy them. (don't tell me how they're done, yes or no to my inquiry will suffice).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:40 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 1784
I disagree a little because he is doing way may editing the second season and way more fake stuff than the first season. He did use a lot of stooges the first season but a lot of his material was real, in fact almost all of the first season was in my opinion. But he did use a lot of stooges so i guess its do you hate stooges or editing more. I can handle stooges but not editing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:56 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Posts: 14016
Location: Las Vegas, NV/Albuquerque, NM/Pensacola, FL
I love how everyone talks about stooges and camera tricks, yet many of us catch him doing sleights. Also, in my opinion, anyone with Gerry Griffin as an avatar shouldn't complain about a magician not being good or entertaining.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:07 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 1784
well once n awhile the edits r stooges r kinda obvious, examples would b for stooges the window, its easy to pick out the stooges and the real audience people, and for edits some of his vanishes like the one where he was on the dirt bike in the desert or the one where he jumped in the pool. I agree though some people jump to edits and stooges to quick though, like with the ring in the ice cube, a lot of people said editing was used for that but it wasnt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: What's your problem exodus
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:20 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 225
exodus wrote:
I love how everyone talks about stooges and camera tricks, yet many of us catch him doing sleights. Also, in my opinion, anyone with Gerry Griffin as an avatar shouldn't complain about a magician not being good or entertaining.


Pardon me exodus? 1st You realize that as a vaudville style perormer Gerry's performances are going to be characteristically dry. 2nd Gerry isn't boring at all. Have you ever seen him perform at California Magic? He may not be Harry Anderson or Gregory Wilson, but he gets the job done; and he gets reactions.

On a side note, your crack about Gerry not being good was inappropriate for anyone, let alone a moderator. Show some respect! And stay on topic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's your problem exodus
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:51 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 14 Oct 2003
Posts: 809
jonathanb510 wrote:
exodus wrote:
I love how everyone talks about stooges and camera tricks, yet many of us catch him doing sleights. Also, in my opinion, anyone with Gerry Griffin as an avatar shouldn't complain about a magician not being good or entertaining.


Pardon me exodus? 1st You realize that as a vaudville style perormer Gerry's performances are going to be characteristically dry. 2nd Gerry isn't boring at all. Have you ever seen him perform at California Magic? He may not be Harry Anderson or Gregory Wilson, but he gets the job done; and he gets reactions.

On a side note, your crack about Gerry not being good was inappropriate for anyone, let alone a moderator. Show some respect! And stay on topic.


No i haven't seen his california magic performance. But i have heard his jokes.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's your problem exodus
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:48 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 01 Mar 2004
Posts: 96
Location: USA
jonathanb510 wrote:
. . . On a side note, your crack about Gerry not being good was inappropriate for anyone, let alone a moderator. Show some respect! And stay on topic.


If you feel that way, don't call Angel's work "trash". Let's not start getting all hurt because a magician you like was put down, you seem to have no problem putting down Angel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:02 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 192
I enjoyed both seasons, even though a lot of it were stooges and camera editing. I just enjoyed it because it helped me come up with new effects and performance styles.

P.S. dosent "They were both great" and "They both sucked"mean the same thing as "They were equal"?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:16 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 225
bonnik10 wrote:
I enjoyed both seasons, even though a lot of it were stooges and camera editing. I just enjoyed it because it helped me come up with new effects and performance styles.

P.S. dosent "They were both great" and "They both sucked"mean the same thing as "They were equal"?


The intended options were to let you say that they where
Both Great
Both Terrible
Both Average

In hindsight it was probably a poor choice of words.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:22 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Posts: 2705
Location: San Antonio, TX
I like nuimber two better because I see him moving to more sleights rather than the TV edting. Although he still has a lot of editing.

One thing I don't like is the exposure..That needs to change


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's your problem exodus
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:23 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 225
MagicMikeguy wrote:
jonathanb510 wrote:
. . . On a side note, your crack about Gerry not being good was inappropriate for anyone, let alone a moderator. Show some respect! And stay on topic.


If you feel that way, don't call Angel's work "trash". Let's not start getting all hurt because a magician you like was put down, you seem to have no problem putting down Angel.


I stated that Angel's camera tricks and stooge buying where trash. His larger illusions are, usually, quite impressive. And, as I imply in the forum's title, he is performing much better material in the second season.

What I took offense to was that exodus, as a moderator, is setting a poor example for the other viewers of the forum.

I assume that those of you who claim to be "authorative" on Gerry Griffin have seen him in videos and DVDs as an instructor or doing a short performance. This is not how Gerry acts in reality. He is much more animted if you watch him in person.

exodus doesn't like Gerry's style so he insults him. The fact is that his boring style has made him quite successful, so he's obviously doing something right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:28 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 225
jOhNmIdNiGhT wrote:
I like nuimber two better because I see him moving to more sleights rather than the TV edting. Although he still has a lot of editing.

One thing I don't like is the exposure..That needs to change


Welcome to the forum jOhN, and you're right. Angel has given away a lot of really good tricks. His "peso" through table vanish is an excellent trick.

When you talk about exposure there is 1 thing you really need to think about, "Are the people watching this going to go out and do it?" If your answer is "no" than you need to stop. If the answer is yes, than you are cultivating a new group of performers. No means that you are just exposing to keep your ratings up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:14 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Posts: 2705
Location: San Antonio, TX
He is exposing though. That is what a magic shopo is for..if people want to lern they should go to a magic dealer. A magician never reveals secrets. There is a difference between dealers and magicians.

And yes, I have seen someone attempt to perform a trick, and yes it wasn't very good


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:52 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 225
I guess I wasn't clear. I agree with you completely. What I was saying about the difference between exposure and teaching, was a mirror sentiment of the statement you just made about magic shops.

Perhaps later I'll read through that post again and do some editing.

Again you're right JOhN.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:04 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 1784
I think the second season is worst cause he is doing some outrageous camera edits in it. I mean cmon people, how can u say the edits r worst in the 1st season than the second? Let me give an example as to what i mean, the self levitation where he is like 8 r more feet off the ground is editing kind of, thats 1st season, 2nd season he flies from one building to another. Which is edit is worse? I say the second, and that is enough for me to like the 1st season better because it was more real. And some of the stuff in season 2 is just plain stupid, like him giving birth. Dont even get me started about what i think of that crap. I liked seeing stuff like oasis in the 1st season, cause it was real stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.