View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:05 pm 
Emperor Penguin

thecooltonto wrote:
I don't do that, and why? Because thats not smart to say you didn't do what you did do. It gets people thinking in the wrong direction. I just emphasize on what they think is happening. If I do a DL I won't say something like "And of course I wouldn't use any fancy card moves to do that."

You completely fail to see my point. In certain effects, we use recaps before the revelation to emphasize that what we did was impossible. We use subtle comments as well, and we use convincers.

We tell them that what we did is impossible, when in fact, any five year old can repeat the technical workings after reading through a magic text.

Most importantly we NEED to protect our secrets from laypeople.

And I would like to point out that there are several stage effects that Criss has done on television, that require the audience to be in specific places. So he uses stooges and camera editing to safely show viewers at home.

These are the same effects that are done in stage shows across the world. Does the stage magician have to have a caveat for his audience that although he is doing it live, it would not be a very magical show if they were sitting up higher, or to the sides of the stage or behind the stage?

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:49 pm 
born to perform.

[quote="wayno"][quote="Wildheart"]What’s more is his outrageous claim that “What you see is what you getâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:08 pm 
born to perform.

so basically the show Mindfreak uses camera edits, but Criss doesn't do it himself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:21 pm 
Emperor Penguin

panicatnabisco wrote:
so basically the show Mindfreak uses camera edits, but Criss doesn't do it himself
Every show uses camera edits. What Banachek was talking about is just the basic editing. Criss, on the other hand, being the director, is in control of the camera tricks that he uses. He does supervise that camera editing that is used to make the camera tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:25 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
My two cents:

I don't like Criss. But to be honest, I only watched a few episodes, and I was bored. The way he presented it, I actually thought it was a bad reality show fake, like Joe Schmoe. I remember thinking, there's no way anyone can be taking this crap seriously, the crowd reactions seemed so fake and staged, and the effects he presented could in no way be done impromptu without assistants.

I figured, this crap will only attract unintelligent teenagers who play video games all day long, and whose imaginations are dictated by MTV garbage. Little did I know.........

Anyhoo.....my point is this. In my circle of performances, with the crowds I deal with, I get little Angel references. The bit that I do is to the effect of, can you do ______ that Criss did on Mindfreak? I'll respond, nope, and move on, just letting it go. We can argue this and that about what he does or doesn't do, but his bottom line is his payday, and if what he does pays his bills and puts more green in his pocket than god, then so be it. Milk it for as long as you can, because fame is fleeting.

Ethical? Maybe. Maybe not.
Profitable? For him, absolutely.
Entertaining? For some, yes. Others, like me, no.
He can ram his head into a brick wall for all I care. End of the day, he's not taking any bread off of my table, nor is he providing for the care of my family in any way.

I'm done.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled squabble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:16 am 
Emperor Penguin

Which as I also said in many others posts, leads to a slew of unrealistic requests from layman. "Criss Angel said he can walk up a wall, walk on water, jump into a puddle and vanish, and disappear from under a garbage can and appear on top of a roof, all live and with no stooges; so let's see you do that. Oh you can't? Guess Criss is just a better magician than you are, that is why he is on TV."

When actually it is the exact opposite, Criss uses camera edits to cover up for a lack of skill. After I saw a lot of his poor palming, which in fact looked like he was hitchhiking for a ride; I said to myself "stick to the camera edits, I see now why you use them so frequently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:10 am 
Emperor Penguin

Wildheart wrote:
If he wants to go on fooling the layman – I suppose that’s his prerogative, but he’s got the prepubescent beginner magicians believing his stuff is genuine.

Heh. That's going to happen regardless. And not just to children.

I remember a few years back on I think the alt.magic usenet group. A father was pissed that he purchased some "David Blaine tricks" Either Raven, Healed and Sealed, Balducci levitation or some other. He was pissed at the secrets.

I found it very humorous because I can't imagine what he was expecting to receive for his kid. A book of spells or something??? Heh.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:03 pm 
Emperor Penguin

You want to see clever editing and stooges in television magic? Check this one out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKyuU82d2BM

But it's still darn entertaining.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:35 pm 
born to perform.

wayno wrote:
You want to see clever editing and stooges in television magic? Check this one out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKyuU82d2BM

But it's still [Edited] entertaining.

8)

Yeah - that segment with Peter Marvy is almost Criminal! He's about as guilty as Criss Angel!