View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: David Blaine's Stunts, Are they just Tricks?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:55 pm 
Penguin

Im a big fan of Blaine considering he was the first magician I saw, even though he pretty much built a career on a charisma, an interesting character, some simple DL tricks and gimmicks.

Anyway on to my point, does anyone know with any degree of certainty if his 44 day fast was legitimate? I only ask this because I remember watching a programme about it on ITV1 over here in the UK, which alleged it was faked and there was a guy dressed like Blaine hanging around in the closed off quarters. They proved this with video footage. This guy had the exact same skin tone, hair colour, shirt and trousers. The programme was called Tonight with Trevor McDonald.

I remember also hearing about his frozen in time stunt which was alleged to have been faked with a trap door, is there any substance to this or is it all just speculation?

Daz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:25 pm 
born to perform.

It's not really faked. It's a stunt that fooled the public. Maybe there was a trapdoor maybe there wasn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:49 am 
Emperor Penguin

The frozen in time "stunt" was an illusion. He would have died of hypothermia had he really spent that long in a block of ice.

I don't know about the 44 days of no eating. I do know you can live on just water for a long time if you don't use up any energy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:10 am 
Emperor Penguin

I'm pretty sure Daniel Garcia fasted for around 40 days, or something like that. Go check out his MySpace page, it was posted in his blogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:29 am 
Penguin

I was convinced all of his stunts were legitimate but now Im started to question it, after all, why would a magician take part in survival stunts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:12 pm 
Emperor Penguin

NotTHEDaryl wrote:
I was convinced all of his stunts were legitimate but now Im started to question it, after all, why would a magician take part in survival stunts?
Same reason Houdini did stuff endurance tests. It's not at all that uncommon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:32 pm 
born to perform.

hmm, i never really thought about it but yeah...chriss angle does some too right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:00 pm 
born to perform.

adjones wrote:
I'm pretty sure Daniel Garcia fasted for around 40 days, or something like that. Go check out his MySpace page, it was posted in his blogs.

I thought he only went around 20 days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:27 pm 
Emperor Penguin

nikiel wrote:
adjones wrote:

You're probably right, I just remember glancing over it real quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:26 am 
born to perform.

adjones wrote:
nikiel wrote:
adjones wrote:

nope it was 40, and im pretty sure he did that one legitimate, people say his ice stunt was fake though, not quite sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:17 am 
Emperor Penguin

The fasting he endured was nowhere near as close to what others have accomplished. However, as far as a world record goes, Guiness doesn't ackknowledge that record due to it's dangers.

As for Frozen In Time? Anyone with an elemantary school education can tell you that as long as his body isn't touching the ice, there is no transfer of heat through conduction. So he's in pretty good shape. He would need to be touching it to cause rapid heat loss. Snow and ice are also great insulators. The body heat, and his exhalation would stay inside the chamber, helping to keep things more comfortable for him. Not exactly comfortable by any stretch I would imagine, but enough to survive safely. But who knows. It may have actually been fairly decent inside.

Not to forget that it would also protect him from wind.

It was only 10 degrees celcius when he was in there and there were others going about in t-shirts. I would say there is a chance that he had it warmer than them.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:41 am 
Emperor Penguin

oztheozzie wrote:
adjones wrote:
nikiel wrote:
adjones wrote:

nope it was 40, and im pretty sure he did that one legitimate, people say his ice stunt was fake though, not quite sure

We're talking about Daniel Garcia right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:37 am 
born to perform.

I think most of the stunts were faked, and ironically lol, with the exception of frozen in time because like what was already stated, it would have actually been decently warm inside. The freezing water dripping on him and wetting his feet would have been dangerous, not the temperature.

As for the others I think its just too easy to fake them, which is what makes me think they may have been faked.

Oh, I forgot about drowned alive, I'm thinking that was a legit stunt. Although at first I was not thinking that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:25 am 
Emperor Penguin

I don't see a reason to question any of the stunts. They are all humanly possible. They aren't too extreme. If I trained for a year, I'd bet I could accomplish any of those stunts. Personally, I think the Buried Alive would be the best one to do though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:44 am 
born to perform.

I don't see how vertigo could have been faked. I think that his stunts are legit. People have done crazier things.