View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Is Criss Angel Houdini?
Criss Angel is Houdini. That explains why he talks so much about him 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Criss is not Houdini. Because I think he's not 91%  91%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 32
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:24 pm 
born to perform.

blackwidowcd wrote:
Houdini said he would come back from the dead. Maybe he did as Criss Angel. That's why people are saying Criss is Houdini.

If Houdini came back from the dead, the first thing he would do is kick Criss Angel's a$$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:20 pm 
born to perform.

DerZauberer wrote:
blackwidowcd wrote:
Houdini said he would come back from the dead. Maybe he did as Criss Angel. That's why people are saying Criss is Houdini.

I certainly hope you're not being serious!

I think that's what the op meant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:39 am 
Emperor Penguin

I will agree with you Clarissa, a lot of what Houdini did is up for debate.

From my studies though, I do stick to the view point that he was a great magician in skill. He had the knowledge, and when he was younger, he was quite skilled with close-up magic. As he grew older, and drifted from that, I'm sure he wasn't as good, and probably fumbled a little. His problem was that he didn't fit the stereotype of a stage magician. He wasn't refined. But once he started doing escapology, he flourished because he was an amazing showman.

As for the Dai Vernon quote; it also has to be remembered that Dai was a crude and rude man. He was very knowledgeable, and very skilled, but he was also a very rude person. There were quite a few magicians who passed up learning from him because of that reason. This isn't an insult to him, because I'm sure I would have liked him, but he did bad mouth a lot of people. It was just his personality. Oh, and I think I should mention that he had a reason to bad mouth Houdini anyway; Houdini shunned him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:54 pm 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
I will agree with you Clarissa, a lot of what Houdini did is up for debate.

From my studies though, I do stick to the view point that he was a great magician in skill. He had the knowledge, and when he was younger, he was quite skilled with close-up magic. As he grew older, and drifted from that, I'm sure he wasn't as good, and probably fumbled a little. His problem was that he didn't fit the stereotype of a stage magician. He wasn't refined. But once he started doing escapology, he flourished because he was an amazing showman.

As for the Dai Vernon quote; it also has to be remembered that Dai was a crude and rude man. He was very knowledgeable, and very skilled, but he was also a very rude person. There were quite a few magicians who passed up learning from him because of that reason. This isn't an insult to him, because I'm sure I would have liked him, but he did bad mouth a lot of people. It was just his personality. Oh, and I think I should mention that he had a reason to bad mouth Houdini anyway; Houdini shunned him.

I love reading well reasoned arguments. I think as with all things, the truth lies somewhere between the two extremes. Some say he was a god, others say he sucked donkey balls.... maybe he was a god that suicked donkey balls? Or maybe he had his on and off days... just like the rest of us :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:26 pm 
born to perform.

Houdini was better than magicians give him credit for, the idea the he was a bad magician and good escape artist is non-sense in my opinion because Houdini did card manipulation kind of somewhat like McBride is famous for right now I suppose, and anyone that can do card slights of that kind decently is at a respectable level of skill in my opinion. I mean you don't see Angel doing cups and balls much less card manipulation whether its close-up or on stage.

Oh wait I forgot......

Why's you all not be believin dat criss is houdini? I be the only person up in here for voting criss to Houdini!!!!! I'm tellin ya MINDFREAK!!!!! Houdini escape death and come Chris!!!! Houdini comin back he said criss so know you that is chris houdni! Plus escapes are doing by cris and houdini do escaping stuff so dat HAS to mean they the same one!!!!

try You'se gotz two understand dis!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:34 pm 

If you have any doubts about the life of Houdini I recommend you read The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero .

I also recommend Hiding the Elephant: How Magicians Invented the Impossible and Learned to Disappear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:59 am 
Emperor Penguin

Criss Angel is morondini. That is about it. There were thousands before him who emulated Houdini, and will be thousands more after Criss' poor show is canceled. He just uses the names of other magicians to boost his own, mainly Blaine, who he also emulated. Criss is far too stupid to create any original personas. He wants to be better than everyone yet does nothing to obtain any skills.

However I do like his lamebrained MTV rock-star/metrosexual reject in biker clothes with a speech impediment persona. Oh wait, that is actually him...

Last edited by sirbrad on Wed May 28, 2008 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:07 am 
Emperor Penguin

blackwidowcd wrote:

I said I was Houdini reincarnated back in the day too. Plus our birthdays are exactly 100 years part. But I grew up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:31 am 
born to perform.

DerZauberer wrote:
If you have any doubts about the life of Houdini I recommend you read The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero .

I also recommend Hiding the Elephant: How Magicians Invented the Impossible and Learned to Disappear.

You must have read my mind. I just got that book a Little bit ago. was about to pick it up. Nice to see it has credibility.

The funny thing is Steinmeyer, was the one that reported that some of the magicians of his day did not think Highly of Houdini. So.. Steinmeyer read it wrong? or was it simply the jealousy of the Magicians that did not like him?

If you believe Steinmeyer a good Historian, then it leads to the conclusion, that the magicians that though little of him, were petty, and jealous. Would not be the first time. Some magicians have Big egos..* looks at the mirror to see if she has an inflated ego... needs to see an ego deflater... needs to be more humble.*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:32 am 
born to perform.

sirbrad wrote:
blackwidowcd wrote:

I said I was Houdini reincarnated back in the day too. Plus our birthdays are exactly 100 years part. But I grew up.

I Miss the old Avatar :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:23 am 
Emperor Penguin

There are just so many accounts of Houdini that it's hard to know which ones are credible. Houdini ticked many magicians off though when he did an expose on Robert-Houdin. Many magicians were angry that Houdini would insult and try to tear down his once former idol (and quite possibly his life-long idol. I don't think he ever stopped idolizing Robert-Houdin. The fact was though, there could only be one man to define magic, and Houdini wanted to make sure it was him). So that could have led to a lot of the negative accounts, because after that book came out, Houdini got attacked over and over again by other magicians (not physically).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:35 pm 
born to perform.

Guyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Houdini about dis thread not be! Bein about houdini be cirs! Stay on the right subject lets do.

But da best houdini to be had cuz criss da best magic ever and chriss be houdini! From da dead come back he did! He was like "I'ze goin two death escape" and den he "MINDFREAK!!!!" he said!!

So dat makes kriss da best two houdni be da best two they the same cause!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:14 pm 
born to perform.

thecooltonto wrote:

Houdini about dis thread not be! Bein about houdini be cirs! Stay on the right subject lets do.

But da best houdini to be had cuz criss da best magic ever and chriss be houdini! From da dead come back he did! He was like "I'ze goin two death escape" and den he "MINDFREAK!!!!" he said!!

LMAO... remind me never to read the forums while I drink My coffee, i almost spit on the keyboard lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:16 pm 

thecooltonto wrote:

Jesus-Tapping Dancing-Christ! English please or I delete the post. Reading that crap makes my eyes hurt...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:11 pm 
Emperor Penguin

clarissa35f wrote:
sirbrad wrote:
blackwidowcd wrote:

I Miss the old Avatar :(

Which avatar?