View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Boxless Zig-Zag
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:23 pm 
born to perform.

I watched most of the Mindbleak premiere Wednesday night.
...And I was surprisingly impressed by something on the show. He probably didn't come up with it, let alone design it; but he did a version of the "Zig-Zag Girl" on last night's show that I thought was very clever.

No box was involved. Just a girl standing there. Criss brought a blanket up in front of her, blocking everyone's view while she prepared. He then handed her the blanket; which she held up, covering all but her head and feet, giving her another moment or two for final adjustments. Criss even made what I thought was an obvious 'adjustment' before the reveal; but I guess I was looking at it with 'magician eyes' because no non-magician I've spoken with has mentioned it, so I guess it went unnoticed by most.

Anyhow...he lifted the blanket from the bottom, up; revealing a section of the girl's mid-section 'missing.' Typical Zig-Zag stuff; but with what I consider some very creative presentation and cover.

The girl was very restricted in her movement, (or lack thereof), and you could catch glimpses of the apparatus in the angles on her clothing if the camera lingered too long; but it was still pretty cool. I don't know which one of his consultants came up with it; but they should get some praise for it.

Last night was only the second time I'd ever seen a Criss Angel performance, been anywhere close to impressed and/or thought, "Dang. Wish I'd thought of that!" The first was the quarter thru soda can illusion from the first season, (which I now perform on a fairly regular basis).

Did ANYBODY else catch at least the boxless Zig-Zag Girl routine from last night's episode? I'd like to know what other magicians thought of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:28 pm 
Penguin

Yes I saw that. And I too am confused on how it could be done without a box. I really would like to know. I know how to do the zig-zag girl in the box (which I'm pretty sure lots do) but this was crazy I don't know how it could have been done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:42 am 
born to perform.

That blew my mind too. I just don't understand, RadioRob do you know how he did it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:34 pm 
Penguin

I saw it even before the show aired, there were a few videos of the new season available on the internet and the boxless Zig-Zag was one of them. It's awesome! I'm not a professional, but nevertheless I know how the original Zig-Zag with boxes works and was speechless when I saw Criss' version! No idea how he did it. But I'm also thinking about possibilities a lot...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:38 pm 
born to perform.

LoyalAnanya wrote:
I saw it even before the show aired, there were a few videos of the new season available on the internet and the boxless Zig-Zag was one of them. It's awesome! I'm not a professional, but nevertheless I know how the original Zig-Zag works and was speechless when I saw Criss' version!

You mean one of his consultants versions.

Juliegel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:48 pm 
Penguin

juliegel wrote:
You mean one of his consultants versions.

Juliegel

So you think you know everything, do you? :roll: Criss already did the original zig-zag when he was about 14 years old. In interviews he never claims to design everything on his own, but he gets an idea and brings it to fruition with the help of his consultants, the magic team. But he's the one who performed this version for the first time, and I guess he owns the rights, so it is his version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:06 pm 
Penguin

Yea thats was pretty impressive what he did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:04 am 

The title pretty much explains all we can say here. Anything more will be deleted as exposure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:51 am 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
The title pretty much explains all we can say here. Anything more will be deleted as exposure.

Is there layman who navigate these boards, and is that why we can't talk about methods here?

Sorry for the off topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:59 am 

That's exactly right. Google archives everything written here, so anyone who asks "How did Criss ..." will be led directly to the method here. This is, and always has been, a "no exposure" site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:39 pm 
Penguin

Maloney123 wrote:
DaveV wrote:

Is there layman who navigate these boards, and is that why we can't talk about methods here?

Sorry for the off topic.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: rofl that was funny, it didnt sound like a question it just sounded like you a being smart-a$$ then davev just owned you. ahhh that was funny. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:26 pm 
born to perform.

iwantgoodmagic wrote:
Yes I saw that. And I too am confused on how it could be done without a box. I really would like to know. I know how to do the zig-zag girl in the box (which I'm pretty sure lots do) but this was crazy I don't know how it could have been done.

I didn't say I was confused about it.
I've got a pretty good idea I can accurately peg how it was done.
I just wasn't expecting the unexpected from Criss Angel and wish I'd have thought of it first!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:38 pm 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:

Hopefully you don't think I have exposed anything. Exposure is NEVER my intention and I'm pretty careful about that sort of thing.

The trick is a classic of magic and I thought it was pretty well known as the "Zig-Zag Girl." It's always been done with a box; so when it wasn't done the traditional way, I thought that mentioning that it was boxless was okay. ...Because it was, in fact, boxless. I think I exposed less in my post than the episode did, for sure.

Don't worry, though - methods and/or any speculations on methodology will not be posted by me. I'm not usually impressed by Mr. Angel; but as a magician who has designed a couple of tricks, I sure wish I'd have thought of that one first!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:02 pm 

No, you were fine. I was just cautioning others not to go into detail on how they think Criss did it.