View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Should there be a name change to "TV Magic"
Yes 71%  71%  [ 15 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:41 pm 
Penguin

DerZauberer wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but some guy about 2000 years ago made walking on water famous.

Come on, this unproven miracle is the reason and inspiration for every magician who ever tried to perform it. It's the reason why so many people connect to the illusion, not an argument to decry it. Let's not argue about religions and beliefs... :wink:

Edit: Nobody claimed that Criss invented the illusion, but he's the one who made this beautiful image of walking on a real lake available to be seen by the public. If Kole was able to do it some time before Criss did it, why didn't he perform it to be seen by everybody? Why didn't he share this image with the world, but only with experienced magicians and those who are interested enough in magic to research about him? That's the difference, Criss wants as many people as possible to connect with it, not just impress and show other magicians how skilled he is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:00 pm 

LoyalAnanya wrote:
DerZauberer wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but some guy about 2000 years ago made walking on water famous.

Come on, this unproven miracle is the reason and inspiration for every magician who ever tried to perform it. It's the reason why so many people connect to the illusion, not an argument to decry it. Let's not argue about religions and beliefs... :wink:

Well – I am happy you recognized the humor. Someone saying Criss Angel singularly made walking on water is kind of an outrageous claim.

LoyalAnanya wrote:
Edit: Nobody claimed that Criss invented the illusion, but he's the one who made this beautiful image of walking on a real lake available to be seen by the public. If Kole was able to do it some time before Criss did it, why didn't he perform it to be seen by everybody? Why didn't he share this image with the world, but only with experienced magicians and those who are interested enough in magic to research about him? That's the difference, Criss wants as many people as possible to connect with it, not just impress and show other magicians how skilled he is.

Actually, if you go back to Mindfreak Season Two when he walks across the swimming pool, you will hear in his commentary how he claims, he invented it and it has never been done before. In my opinion his performance was appalling, the numerous video cuts, numerous takes and ridiculous number of assistants and stooges in and around the swimming pool was quite laughable.

I cannot explain why Kole’s version was not as popular as Angel’s, probably because Criss Angel has a Cable TV show and Kole appeared on a TV special some time earlier. The fact remains, the effect was invented by someone other than Criss Angel and he used it without obtaining the performance rights from its originator which is a BIG ethical NO NO in the magic community.

At this point in his career, its clear Angel only cares about Angel and how thick his wallet is. I do not believe for a moment that he cares so deeply about the Art of Magic since he has no problem insulting other magicians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm 
born to perform.

DerZauberer wrote:
LoyalAnanya wrote:
DerZauberer wrote:

Well – I am happy you recognized the humor. Someone saying Criss Angel singularly made walking on water is kind of an outrageous claim.

LoyalAnanya wrote:

Actually, if you go back to Mindfreak Season Two when he walks across the swimming pool, you will hear in his commentary how he claims, he invented it and it has never been done before. In my opinion his performance was appalling, the numerous video cuts, numerous takes and ridiculous number of assistants and stooges in and around the swimming pool was quite laughable.

I cannot explain why Kole’s version was not as popular as Angel’s, probably because Criss Angel has a Cable TV show and Kole appeared on a TV special some time earlier. The fact remains, the effect was invented by someone other than Criss Angel and he used it without obtaining the performance rights from its originator which is a BIG ethical NO NO in the magic community.

At this point in his career, its clear Angel only cares about Angel and how thick his wallet is. I do not believe for a moment that he cares so deeply about the Art of Magic since he has no problem insulting other magicians.

Theres no commentary for that episode. Its only "In Two" and "Building Float". I own the DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:27 pm 

Maloney123 wrote:
DerZauberer wrote:
LoyalAnanya wrote:
DerZauberer wrote:

LoyalAnanya wrote:

Theres no commentary for that episode. Its only "In Two" and "Building Float". I own the DVD.

I don't mean an "over-dubbed" commentary; I am talking about the Interviews with him and his cronies during the show in a documentary style. I too own the DVD’s but I only watched them once. I bought them in Germany after I had read about him in Genii Magazine; I had to see for myself. I thought to myself – “This is what people are raving about?!”

You should not have brought up the Building float - in THAT commentary he claimed to do it live in front of spectators which is a bold face lie. He did it in an alley of an industrial complex in front of his crew and paid assistants. If you own the DVD set then you must confess; during the entire series, he enjoys saying “Never done before”, “I am the first”, “ I do it better than anyone” (And my personal favorite) What you see is what you get – No camera tricks.”

BTW - you are confusing THIS thread with the Walking on Water thread. This topic is about the inevitable name change to the forum...