View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Believe
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:25 am 

It hasn't even started yet and Criss is insulting magicians.

Tonight's finale of So You Think You Can Dance had the Cirque du Soleil dancers performing a piece from Criss' upcoming Believe show.

The premise?
"Homage to all the rabbits who died at the hands of incompetent magicians"

Sure, it may not sound bad at first, but as far as tasteless commentaries I rank this one almost up there with his bare chested publicity posing on Houdini's grave. Sure, he called that a "tribute" but the rest of the world (with the exception of his "Loyal") saw it as a tasteless publicity stunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:45 am 
born to perform.

That is sick. He is implying that other magicians kill rabbits like the use tissue paper. Rabbits rarely die during a show and if they do it is usualy a freak accident. The truth is a lot of magicians treat there stage companions like children. But criss does like to let everyone believe that some other magicians stuff rabbits into small boxes for hours while he flys around the world saving them.

Juliegel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:01 am 
born to perform.

I know I was shocked too when I saw this... (I don't have a rabbit :cry: )

(Luckily-->) I've never seen a rabbit die or get hurt during a performance, maybe it's just a problem Mr. Incompetent Angel has frequently.

*rescues Angel's Bunnies*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:21 am 
Penguin

This goes back to what I've been wondering for a while now. And that is...Why does Criss Angel need to be backed by Cirque du Solei? David Copperfield, Lance Burton, Penn & Teller can all carry their own shows. Criss needs filler provided by Cirque du Solei?

I can't say for sure of course but I believe that people will be greatly disappointed by the lack of magic in Criss's new show. They'll go expecting to see magic and end up seeing a bunch of acrobatic moves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:53 am 
Emperor Penguin

They won't be disappointed for long though. I bet his show will last less then a year. It's already starting out poorly, and with his attitude, only has one way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:34 am 
Penguin

Well look at Crissy. He has countless times used animals on his show and you never see him take care of them. Really the only animal he deals with is his pet cat. Many Magician's love to death there animals and think of them as asistants rather than equipment. Once again this is just another attempt by Crissy to show himself as the only name in magic and the all prevailing gods of magician's when really he is a peice of
@%#!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:52 am 
Penguin

I think you guys forget something. Please note, I can't watch American tv, (so if the part of that show appears on youtube and you know it, I'd really appreciate if somebody posts a link), so I can only give my 2 cents to the comment about the rabbits. You may be right that nowadays it's an exception when a rabbit or other animal dies because of a magic performance. But think back to the early times of magic. Magicians really killed rabbits and birds when they didn't find another way to perform the trick. As a matter of fact those things happened before the human beings learned that animals are not "things". And I think that's what Criss meant with the quote. Maybe it still happens accidently, I don't know- but what I know is that there were rumors some time ago that Criss and Cirque would use living rabbits during the show, and it seemed to create a scandal until it turned out to be nothing more than a rumor. And at that time he already said that the show would include some kind of hommage to all those rabbits who got harmed or killed by magicians in the past.
That's why I think he doesn't insult current magicians, he just reminds people what magic used to be in the past.

Edit:

KingMilo wrote:
This goes back to what I've been wondering for a while now. And that is...Why does Criss Angel need to be backed by Cirque du Solei? David Copperfield, Lance Burton, Penn & Teller can all carry their own shows. Criss needs filler provided by Cirque du Solei?

I can't say for sure of course but I believe that people will be greatly disappointed by the lack of magic in Criss's new show. They'll go expecting to see magic and end up seeing a bunch of acrobatic moves.

And I'm sure Believe will be great. It was never supposed to be a pure magic show. Criss and Cirque said from the beginning that it will be something bigger than that, a fantasy story from "Amystika", the surreal world Criss has created, told with the combination of magic, illusions, music and the professional dancers and artistes of Cirque. I'm looking forward to Believe, though it will take some time until I will be able to visit Las Vegas and watch it.

Last edited by LoyalAnanya on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:58 am 
Penguin

LoyalAnanya you are amazing in how you will defend Criss in EVERY situation. I have magicians who I have great admiriation for but they are not exempt from scrutiny either. I don't see how any magician who works with animals (I don't and wouldn't) could NOT be insulted...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:13 pm 
Penguin

The_Deuce wrote:
LoyalAnanya you are amazing in how you will defend Criss in EVERY situation. I have magicians who I have great admiriation for but they are not exempt from scrutiny either. I don't see how any magician who works with animals (I don't and wouldn't) could NOT be insulted...

Lol thanks, but I don't defend him in every situation, only in those where I have a reason. :wink: You won't see me post in every thread about him, only in those where I feel I can contribute something. But I have the same right as everybody to state my opinion, and I don't care if I'm alone here with these opinions.
I don't really understand your last sentence... if a magicians doesn't harm the animals he works with, he shouldn't feel insulted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:52 pm 
Penguin

You guys need to understand that Criss is not saying anything against magicians. True, many of them 'do' take care of there stage animals as if they were there children, but Criss doesn't use them enough to need to take care of them himself.

Also note, He is 'not' a magician; he is an Ilusionist. There is a difference, and Illusionists don't normally use real animals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:33 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
They won't be disappointed for long though. I bet his show will last less then a year. It's already starting out poorly, and with his attitude, only has one way to go.

I'd love if that happened but unfortunately I'll have to disagree with you. I seriously doubt this does poorly. Luxor, Criss Angel and possibly A&E are going to promote the heck out of this show. So with all that backing it would be near impossible for this to bomb. Sadly people will eat it up with a spoon.

You said it was starting out poorly. How? I haven't heard anything like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:33 am 
Emperor Penguin

MooMoo- Illusionists and magicians are exactly the same thing. Just a different name. I'm not going to respond to the rest of what you said because it's based on a false idea.

KingMilo- The tickets for his show are already starting off at a low price. I believe the lowest in Cirque current shows. Which is a poor start. Also, A&E won't be backing this long. It already sounds as if they are sick of him. Not too long ago Criss was complaining about how if A&E would ban any more of his shows, he wouldn't go on with a Season 5 (his last season). Also, Criss simply is getting a bad name, and it's not reflecting good on anyone. Cirque has already been criticized because of him. Also, once people realize that he has no talent, they will leave. Criss's fame is dwindling, and Cirque will have no use for him.

As for his message, it is insensitive and insulting. Rabbits weren't killed in magic tricks. There was no need for it. Yes, birds were, but that's because that was the only way they could do the effect. The only time I've heard of anything like a rabbit being killed in magic is when people believed it to be real magic, and the people performing that were in countries like India, and they weren't magicians, just charlatans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:16 am 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
KingMilo- The tickets for his show are already starting off at a low price. I believe the lowest in Cirque current shows. Which is a poor start. Also, A&E won't be backing this long. It already sounds as if they are sick of him. Not too long ago Criss was complaining about how if A&E would ban any more of his shows, he wouldn't go on with a Season 5 (his last season). Also, Criss simply is getting a bad name, and it's not reflecting good on anyone. Cirque has already been criticized because of him. Also, once people realize that he has no talent, they will leave. Criss's fame is dwindling, and Cirque will have no use for him.

Interesting. I didn't hear any of this but thats good to know.

I'm still hesitant to agree that his show will do bad even though I'd like it to bomb. My thinking is that it is just simple marketing. People are general stupid and will accept anything that is fed to them. It's literally brainwashing. Tell everyone that it is the best show in the world and enough of them will believe it. Sad but true.