View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lecture with Dan Hauss!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm 
born to perform.

Tomorow night (sat) I am going to a lecture with Dan and I am hoping to see riot! I am pretty excited!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:17 pm 
Penguin

Lucky S.O.B!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:34 pm 
born to perform.

I was gonna make a big long post about how awesome it was but no one seems to care :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:20 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Waiting as a final load under a very large set of cups. It is dark......
Sweepingreaper4 wrote:
I was gonna make a big long post about how awesome it was but no one seems to care :cry: :cry: :cry:

That's because people don't really care whose lecture you go to see. No offense or anything, but people don't care unless they've been to the lecture, or are going to the lecture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:58 pm 
born to perform.

Bicycle12 wrote:
Sweepingreaper4 wrote:

That's because people don't really care whose lecture you go to see. No offense or anything, but people don't care unless they've been to the lecture, or are going to the lecture.

I understand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 pm 
born to perform.

Well. I'm interested in knowing how the lecture went. Good crowd? How long was the lecture? Did he talk about his work with Paul Harris? DId you get some face time with him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:28 pm 
born to perform.

I'm just not interested in this particular guy lol... he doesn't seem too bright, talented, or to have any performance talent to me at all. The way he acts makes me think he smokes pot or something lol. Flow is a nice effect though, but I kind of think he got a little lucky with the method, and he really only improved an existing effect on top of that too, so its a little over-hyped, I mean its not like he invented an entirely new effect really in my opinion. Its good though, I'm just saying he doesn't deserve the credit the advertising hype with flow gives him, and I don't think he has the performance talent to back it up either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:23 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Waiting as a final load under a very large set of cups. It is dark......
Sweepingreaper4 wrote:
Bicycle12 wrote:
Sweepingreaper4 wrote:

I understand

No, no, no, I didn't mean it like that. If you are going to tell us how it was, or how much value it was, than that it great, and I'd be interested. On the other hand if you make a popchris or zachmonkey thread, being a thread that just says that you're going to a lecture, than those threads irritate me. Bottom line, you are going to tell us more than just that you are going, so that is great, but if you just said that you went to a lecture and said nothing else about it, then nobody would care. I can see where my last post was unclear, and personally if I read my last post and were you, I would've gotten defensive, so thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:16 pm 
born to perform.

Well, It was a lot of fun. There was about 20 people there (that's good compared to other lectures I've been to there). He was just gonna lecture for two hours and then give us a DVD he made, for free. The DVD taught a couple tricks but the DVD got messed up so he lectured for 1 hour and then did like a workshop for another hour and stayed afterwards to teach some more stuff. During the night we got: Redline, unknown, and some card to shoelace thing. After both of those he did a 1 houor show that was kind of a joke because the audience was like 90% magicians.

I don't think you'll find this funny but coming from him it did:
He mentioned Paul Harris and said whenever him and Paul are talking about a trick Paul wants to do it with a dollar bill. He said, "Paul always says but can we do it with a dollar bill, and I'm like no Paul, no". I think he was refering to the toothpick in flow because he was talking about flow right before he said that.

As far as face time, inbetween the lecture and workshop, the workshop and show, and afterwards people were just walkin arround talkin and I was sittin on the stage next to him and for some reason it was like no one wanted to be up there. It was me him and two other guys watchin the demo for riot while every1 else was doin their own thing. But after the show I had some more face time so we were talkin about redline for a little but that was it.

It was a good night considering I payed 15$ and got taught redline from the man himself. Forget about the other stuff, that was worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:27 pm 
born to perform.

thecooltonto wrote:
I'm just not interested in this particular guy lol... he doesn't seem too bright, talented, or to have any performance talent to me at all. The way he acts makes me think he smokes pot or something lol. Flow is a nice effect though, but I kind of think he got a little lucky with the method, and he really only improved an existing effect on top of that too, so its a little over-hyped, I mean its not like he invented an entirely new effect really in my opinion. Its good though, I'm just saying he doesn't deserve the credit the advertising hype with flow gives him, and I don't think he has the performance talent to back it up either.

I kinda agree that he doesn't have a whole lot of performance talent. He did 2 card monte during his show and it was just kind of a joke because the place was all magicians anyway. He has this kid up their and the kid was holding the cards. He would ask the kid something like which one is one top and the kid was just sitting there, not responding. He slowly started to tilt the cards up to flash an ace to the audience. Dan fixed his hand and he started to do it again. Slowly starting to show the cards to the audience. 3 times Dan had to fix his hand. The 3rd time Dan just held his hand down. He looked up and said, "I amliteraly holding his hand right now".

But where did you see him act that makes you think he smokes? He doesn't smoke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:42 pm 
born to perform.

Sweepingreaper4 wrote:
thecooltonto wrote:

I kinda agree that he doesn't have a whole lot of performance talent. He did 2 card monte during his show and it was just kind of a joke because the place was all magicians anyway. He has this kid up their and the kid was holding the cards. He would ask the kid something like which one is one top and the kid was just sitting there, not responding. He slowly started to tilt the cards up to flash an ace to the audience. Dan fixed his hand and he started to do it again. Slowly starting to show the cards to the audience. 3 times Dan had to fix his hand. The 3rd time Dan just held his hand down. He looked up and said, "I amliteraly holding his hand right now".

I was just kind of making fun of him because he says am so much lol. I don't think he is bad or anything, and Flow is a great effect I know of his, but I don't think he lives up to the hype about him from his recent effects' advertising either lol. I mean like I said Flow is a great method and effect, but the effect has been around and he just greatly improved the method. I mean thats great but not worthy of all that praise in my opinion lol. Of course I don't know many of his other effects either so they could be totally original AND a great method too idk. I mean if he is good at creating effects then I guess he could live up to his hype but idk really. And I know he's not any better of a performer than I am either because he is nothing exceptional there for sure lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:15 pm 
born to perform.

thecooltonto wrote:
Sweepingreaper4 wrote:
thecooltonto wrote:

I was just kind of making fun of him because he says am so much lol. I don't think he is bad or anything, and Flow is a great effect I know of his, but I don't think he lives up to the hype about him from his recent effects' advertising either lol. I mean like I said Flow is a great method and effect, but the effect has been around and he just greatly improved the method. I mean thats great but not worthy of all that praise in my opinion lol. Of course I don't know many of his other effects either so they could be totally original AND a great method too idk. I mean if he is good at creating effects then I guess he could live up to his hype but idk really. And I know he's not any better of a performer than I am either because he is nothing exceptional there for sure lol.

Well he has-
"re-wrapped" -very gimmicky, but I'm pretty sure it has been done before.
some gum penitration -gimmick but your left clean and I'm pretty sure that has been done before too.
"Sleeping Queens" -gimmick but it's not that bad. Completely examinable and I've never seen this done.
"redline" -gimmick but you can make it so that you don't have to hide the angles. Original as far as I'm concerned.
"flow"- you already know
"lit" - is that considered a gimmick? It kind of is but it's examineable at the end. No clue of the originality.
"shrinking Finger"- gimmick but I don't know how bad the gimmick is. Completely original.
"riot" -gimmick but again I don't know how clean you are. Rising cards have been done before but this is the best I've ever seen. Makes fallen look like crap. (I think fallen actualy did that on it's own. :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:58 pm 
born to perform.

"Lit" is original in the sense that a card is used to appear to be a matchbook, but the sleight that is used in the trick is far from original. My friend purchased the effect, but before he got it he made up his own method to do it. It is funny, he actually made up his own handling for it, but his handling was the same exact handling as the official handling verbatim. He also though, made up a version where the card can be signed, which is not included on the DVD. He was not happy with the DVD itself though, he felt that the explanations were rushed and that they didn't go very much in to detail on the gimmick construction. It's a great effect, but the DVD apparently isn't that good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:36 pm 
born to perform.

Bicycle12 wrote:
"Lit" is original in the sense that a card is used to appear to be a matchbook, but the sleight that is used in the trick is far from original. My friend purchased the effect, but before he got it he made up his own method to do it. It is funny, he actually made up his own handling for it, but his handling was the same exact handling as the official handling verbatim. He also though, made up a version where the card can be signed, which is not included on the DVD. He was not happy with the DVD itself though, he felt that the explanations were rushed and that they didn't go very much in to detail on the gimmick construction. It's a great effect, but the DVD apparently isn't that good.

Actually came up with the idea of a matchbook turning into a full usable matchbook. It's in his book Sankey Unleashed under the name Fire Down Below.