View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Harry Lorayne!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:01 pm 
born to perform.

Writer, card man, and memory expert, Harry Lorayne is a prolific magical author with many classics like:

Close-Up Card Magic
The Magic Book
Best of Friends
The Classic Collection
Apocalypse
and more!

What do you guys think of this living legend?

-JT

Post subject: Re: Harry Lorayne!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:13 pm 

I think his material is great, but I can't watch him perform. I've got his DVDs, but can't finish them. He just seems angry. Then I read the things that he posts on the Cafe and confirm that he is angry. If you disagree with him, you're an idiot. His words. He seems to be very concerned with having a legacy and defending every bit of it. Those things aside, he's one of the most prolific magicians of the past century and he knows more about card magic than any living man should. He's a living legend in card magic and an amazing creator, but unfortunately wants everyone else to know and believe it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:37 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
I think his material is great, but I can't watch him perform. I've got his DVDs, but can't finish them. He just seems angry. Then I read the things that he posts on the Cafe and confirm that he is angry. If you disagree with him, you're an idiot. His words. He seems to be very concerned with having a legacy and defending every bit of it. Those things aside, he's one of the most prolific magicians of the past century and he knows more about card magic than any living man should. He's a living legend in card magic and an amazing creator, but unfortunately wants everyone else to know and believe it.

Definitely agree about his posts on the Cafe. They make me almost angry sometimes, and yet people openly condone it! I like the way you worded that last sentence, very good stuff.

-JT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:42 pm 
Emperor Penguin

miniserb725 wrote:
exodus wrote:

Definitely agree about his posts on the Cafe. They make me almost angry sometimes, and yet people openly condone it! I like the way you worded that last sentence, very good stuff.

-JT

The Cafe condones alot of behavior that would be stopped at other places or at least looked down upon. As long as you're good friends with the owners, head mods or advertise on their site... you pretty much have free run of the place.
But enough about the Cafe.

The guy is a master at cards, nothing less than that. What X said about him, pretty much sums it all up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:04 pm 
born to perform.

Honestly he's probably one of my top 3 magicians! I really, really LOVE his performances, his writing, personality, almost everything about him! He is just so interesting and fun to watch. His energy seems contagious when I watch him. Yes, his ego can get in the way sometimes, but I still love Harry! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:27 pm 
born to perform.

I find it particularly amusing that, even though he is a world-renowned memory expert, he can never remember which of his books a particular card effect is in, when someone asks him. :lol:

Sean

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:51 pm 

Humorous, but totally understandable. He's got so many. I wouldn't be able to keep up, either.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:17 am 
Emperor Penguin

He is a living legend, and I actually like his pompous and edgy attitude. :lol: "The Magic Book" was one of my first books almost 30 years ago that started it all for me, and I still do tricks from that book today. I also love the Apocalypse series, Best of Friends, Classic Collection, etc.

I have talked to him through emails for years and got several of my book sets from him and signed. I do not have his DVD sets yet, but I really don't care about "attitudes" of entertainers as I buy material for the effects solely. http://mnw.squarespace.com/magicnewsfee ... rayne.html An interview with Harry.