View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Penn and Teller fool us.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:47 pm 
born to perform.

tiggerkim wrote:
For all of you who saw the latest show, didn't it appear as if the acts were mostly to attract publicity? Gazzo's Cups and Balls are definitely one of the best out there, but even so it's still based on classic moves that Penn and Teller know and use. The quick change act seemed very, very standard also. Great perfomances, but the Swedish/Polish (I can't remember which) were the only act that came close. I was sure he switched out the card as he returned the tongs to his jacket, but I guess he just tried to make Penn and Teller think that. Kind of misdirection towards another magician rather than the audience. I'm fooled.

My first post was all about this lol.

One thing I'm not liking is the guys getting through with blatent bluffs. I'm not sure what the rules of the show are exactly (if P and T only get one guess) but I've seen a few too many bluffed deck and card switches on the show. I appreciate the thinking as misdirecting the magicians and preventing them from back tracking the same way you might with a lay person but are Penn and Teller they really fooled just because their first guess is wrong? I think not, more like conned lol.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:12 am 
born to perform.

arkham666 wrote:
tiggerkim wrote:
For all of you who saw the latest show, didn't it appear as if the acts were mostly to attract publicity? Gazzo's Cups and Balls are definitely one of the best out there, but even so it's still based on classic moves that Penn and Teller know and use. The quick change act seemed very, very standard also. Great perfomances, but the Swedish/Polish (I can't remember which) were the only act that came close. I was sure he switched out the card as he returned the tongs to his jacket, but I guess he just tried to make Penn and Teller think that. Kind of misdirection towards another magician rather than the audience. I'm fooled.

My first post was all about this lol.

One thing I'm not liking is the guys getting through with blatent bluffs. I'm not sure what the rules of the show are exactly (if P and T only get one guess) but I've seen a few too many bluffed deck and card switches on the show. I appreciate the thinking as misdirecting the magicians and preventing them from back tracking the same way you might with a lay person but are Penn and Teller they really fooled just because their first guess is wrong? I think not, more like conned lol.

I think it's about finding a middle ground because given enough time they could figure out just about all of the acts. The things like the duct tape around head, they clearly tried to make Penn and Teller think there was a switch. I think the non-magician executives just don't understand what people are doing. My guess is if these rules continue someone is going to blatantly do a switch and fool Penn and Teller who will think they did that move to throw them off.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:35 pm 
born to perform.

The show appears to have transformed into a way to make money for magicians via products.

THE TRICK THAT FOOLED PENN AND TELLER!

I've seen 3 products already with that tagline...

Let it die. Enough already.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:31 pm 
born to perform.

akirafist wrote:
The show appears to have transformed into a way to make money for magicians via products.

THE TRICK THAT FOOLED PENN AND TELLER!

I've seen 3 products already with that tagline...

Let it die. Enough already.

Industry in action good sir. Alas magic is as much about selling products as creating them. But you know this already, you've been doing this a lot longer than me. It's just a new marketing hook and it'll be bled for all it's worth. Alakazam have a whole page dedicated to fool us effects. Still in my opinion it's not the biggest problem with the magic industry at the moment but I won't start on that because it's not relelvant to this thread.

Also Chris Dugdale's effect was tragic. He actually was onto something he just had it the wrong way around. But one thing I really didn't like was his claim that he was going to do something that had never been done before and then his routine was basically a holiday confabulation of sorts. Sure the method may have been a bit noval but that actual trick has been done so many times before.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:36 pm 
Penguin

I have so far been unsuccessful in locating a thread for the confab-shoe-lation effect. If there already is one, then please forgive me for posting in the wrong place but I am in need of help with this effect. Maybe someone might PM me if he or she has the same effect. My question is regarding construction of the gimmick. If someone else has this effect, he or she has no doubt run into the same problem as I have and I am in need of assistance in resolving this issue.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:01 am 
Penguin

akirafist wrote:
tiggerkim wrote:
For all of you who saw the latest show, didn't it appear as if the acts were mostly to attract publicity?

Most performances seem like that. Especially Piff the Magic Dragon ...

Especially the illusion performance by Paul & Martin Daniels.