View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:52 am 
born to perform.

jamberry wrote:
turboawd wrote:
J78 wrote:
people you miss my point im saying if god made somethink that can think of evil or be evil then he must have evil inside im finding this hard to understand :? :D

God does not create evil he just allows free will.

That's what I was trying to say..

On a sidenote: Life isn't about having as much fun as you can, it's about being tested and overcoming weaknesses.

i still dont understand why is god testing us doesnt god know the result all ready

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:24 am 
Emperor Penguin

J78 wrote:
i still dont understand why is god testing us doesnt god know the result all ready

God is supposedly among other things, a teacher. Do your teachers know the results of your tests already?

But I see what you mean. God is supposed to see all and know all. He supposed to know everything in advance. But he also supposedly gave us the mind of free will and choice. He's just waiting around for our results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:10 am 
born to perform.

Frijid_Pink wrote:
J78 wrote:

God is supposedly among other things, a teacher. Do your teachers know the results of your tests already?

But I see what you mean. God is supposed to see all and know all. He supposed to know everything in advance. But he also supposedly gave us the mind of free will and choice. He's just waiting around for our results.

good point so why does things like jesus not happen anymore why does god not just send someone down to tell us

Post subject: david blaine ain't Jesus Christ
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:23 pm 
Penguin

for one thing, David Blaine is absolutelly not Jesus Christ. i've never heard him say that anyway. personally i don't beleive Jesus was a magician. he really did have powers from God. they weren't tricks or sleight of hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:18 pm 
born to perform.

J78 wrote:
Frijid_Pink wrote:
J78 wrote:

good point so why does things like jesus not happen anymore why does god not just send someone down to tell us

God sends his prophets to tell us. They receive revelation and council from him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:01 pm 
Penguin

"Why does things like Jesus never happen anymore?" and "He speaks through his prophets?"

First, if you really understand why Jesus came to Earth, you'll understand its a one time thing and doesn't need to happen again (the attonement for our sins part). And as far as speaking through the prophets, God SPOKE through the prophets. There are some people today that claim to be prophets, but the stuff they say they're getting from God contradicts the Bible. The Bible is complete; it doesn't need adding to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:06 am 
Penguin

that_magic_guy wrote:
First, if you really understand why Jesus came to Earth, you'll understand its a one time thing and doesn't need to happen again (the attonement for our sins part). And as far as speaking through the prophets, God SPOKE through the prophets. There are some people today that claim to be prophets, but the stuff they say they're getting from God contradicts the Bible. The Bible is complete; it doesn't need adding to.

You speak as if you're so sure. First off I'd like to know how you know that what the prophets of today say contradicts the bible. And also, how you know that the bible is complete. Who says there aren't other scriptures? Because that's what your priest/pastor tells you? The Jews weren't the only people living on the earth at the time of Christ. I believe that they aren't the only witnesses of Christ.
But, I agree, Jesus doesn't need to do the atonement again, that was a one time deal. I don't blame him, I wouldn't want to do that twice either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:17 am 
Penguin

It is sometimes claimed (for example, by the Mormon church, and by the Christian organization known as Gospel Outreach) that God intends for the church to have the office of apostle operative today. The Scriptures, however, indicate that the apostleship was strictly a first-century office.

Jesus trained the Twelve to be preachers, teachers, and evangelists for Him after His death and resurrection (John 14:17; Matthew 16:18-19; 18:17-18; etc.). The apostles would speak with authority, not only because they had the Holy Spirit teaching them, but also because they were eyewitnesses of the saving events of Christ's death and resurrection (John 14:26; 15:26-27).

The apostles, therefore, were trained by Jesus to play a vital and unrepeatable role in the history of the church. While the Holy Spirit still dwells in the church, there are no more apostles, since an apostle was required to have been an eyewitness of the resurrected Christ (Acts 1:21-26; 5:32; Luke 1:1-4; Ephesians 3:4-5; I Corinthians 9:1). Given the fact that no one living during the past eighteen centuries has seen the risen Jesus (despite the claims of persons such as Joseph Smith), it is impossible that during this period we should have "apostles."

The New Testament indicates rather clearly that the apostleship did end in the first century. In Paul's recounting of the resurrection appearances, he ends with his own, saying, "and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared also to me" (I Corinthians 15:7). Elsewhere, Paul speaks of the church as "having been built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the cornerstone" (Ephesians 2:20). Just as we do not lay new cornerstones from time to time to replace the old one, so too, we do not lay a new foundation of apostles and prophets over and over. The foundation of the apostolic witness to Christ and the prophetic revelations which pointed to and interpreted the saving acts of Christ has been laid; it does not need to be laid again. Whenever teachers come along with "new revelations from God," they are attempting to lay a foundation which has already been laid (see I Corinthians 3:11).

Lastly, I rely not only on my pastor's teachings, but my own personal in depth study. In Acts 16, Paul commends the Bereans the they " received the word with all readiness, and searched the scriptures daily to find out if these things were so." Therefore, that is what I do. I search the scriptures for confirmation.

Lastly, as far as the completion on the Bible, I believe the Apostle John makes it very clear when he speaks for God in the book of Revelation. Revelation 22:18 states, "If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book..." Sounds complete to me. 8)

Hope that helps. On a lighter note, what's your favorite trick?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:49 pm 
Penguin

I'm totally with you man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:56 pm 
born to perform.

that_magic_guy wrote:
It is sometimes claimed (for example, by the Mormon church, and by the Christian organization known as Gospel Outreach) that God intends for the church to have the office of apostle operative today. The Scriptures, however, indicate that the apostleship was strictly a first-century office.

Jesus trained the Twelve to be preachers, teachers, and evangelists for Him after His death and resurrection (John 14:17; Matthew 16:18-19; 18:17-18; etc.). The apostles would speak with authority, not only because they had the Holy Spirit teaching them, but also because they were eyewitnesses of the saving events of Christ's death and resurrection (John 14:26; 15:26-27).

The apostles, therefore, were trained by Jesus to play a vital and unrepeatable role in the history of the church. While the Holy Spirit still dwells in the church, there are no more apostles, since an apostle was required to have been an eyewitness of the resurrected Christ (Acts 1:21-26; 5:32; Luke 1:1-4; Ephesians 3:4-5; I Corinthians 9:1). Given the fact that no one living during the past eighteen centuries has seen the risen Jesus (despite the claims of persons such as Joseph Smith), it is impossible that during this period we should have "apostles."

The New Testament indicates rather clearly that the apostleship did end in the first century. In Paul's recounting of the resurrection appearances, he ends with his own, saying, "and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared also to me" (I Corinthians 15:7). Elsewhere, Paul speaks of the church as "having been built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the cornerstone" (Ephesians 2:20). Just as we do not lay new cornerstones from time to time to replace the old one, so too, we do not lay a new foundation of apostles and prophets over and over. The foundation of the apostolic witness to Christ and the prophetic revelations which pointed to and interpreted the saving acts of Christ has been laid; it does not need to be laid again. Whenever teachers come along with "new revelations from God," they are attempting to lay a foundation which has already been laid (see I Corinthians 3:11).

Lastly, I rely not only on my pastor's teachings, but my own personal in depth study. In Acts 16, Paul commends the Bereans the they " received the word with all readiness, and searched the scriptures daily to find out if these things were so." Therefore, that is what I do. I search the scriptures for confirmation.

Lastly, as far as the completion on the Bible, I believe the Apostle John makes it very clear when he speaks for God in the book of Revelation. Revelation 22:18 states, "If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book..." Sounds complete to me. 8)

Hope that helps. On a lighter note, what's your favorite trick?

I think you may have misunderstood a few of those scripture.

In John 14:17 it says "Even the spirit of truth; whom the world cannot recieve, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him; but ye know him, for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you."
In this scripture Jesus Christ is speaking to the apostles at the last supper. It seems to me like He's saying that the apostles recognize the holy spirit, and the people of the world cannot. They do not have the gift of the Holy Ghost.

In Matthew 16:18-19 and 18:17-18, the scripture speaks of "what is bound on earth shall be bound in heaven." Isn't this talking about covenents made on earth, which will be bound in heaven also? Covenents: Promises made with God.
(Genisis 6:18, 9:15<---Covenent between God and Noah
; 15:18<----Covenent between God and Abram)
And I can give you many more if you want.

As for the scriptures you mentioned in Acts, Luke, and 1 Corinthians.. Would you mind elaborating on these a little more specifically? I couldn't understand what you were getting at with these..

In Ephesians 3: 4-5 it says "Wherby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowlege in the mystery of Christ. Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the spirit."
You seem to be saying that this scripture means: Other ages=today.
But it looks to me like other ages=the days before Christ. It is now revealed unto the sons of men. Meaning at the time this was written it has been revealed, because in times previous it wasn't revealed.

But the reason they say this is because before this was written the Gospel of Jesus Christ was to only be preached to the Jews, but then it was taken to the Gentiles. The Gentiles in that time were basicly the Romans, etc.
"That the gentiles should be followheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promises in Christ by the gospel." See Epesians 3:6.

You are right about the Apostles being eyewitnesses of the resurected Jesus Christ. I believe that the Apostles today are too.

As for the Corner Stone issue. Yes, Jesus Christ should always be the foundation and cornerstone. Mormons believe this too, that is why the official name for the mormon church is "The Chruch of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." The corner stone has not been replaced in anyways. Jesus Christ will always be the foundation of their religion. We believe that the foundation was restored in the last days. (See Micah 4:1-7 :D )

I too have also commited a lot of time in personal study. And I know that a prophet lives today and recieves revelation from God. The Bible does not seem to contradict this at all.

Thank you for your time. It's been nice talking to you that_magic_guy. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:16 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Unbeleivable isn't it Gentlemen?...all this hypothesizing over a silly David Blaine question. :lol:

Post subject: Blaine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:38 pm 
Penguin

Hey I think Blaine is the freakin best!!! I dont about him being Jesus Christ though....well maybe....nobody knows what Jesus looks like and it could be David Blaine lol.

Anyway, Jesus Christ would have been a magician but, I personally think that he was the best propogandist ever!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:18 pm 
Penguin

Kannible wrote:
since mankind gets smarter throughtout time

Some research is beginning to show that this isn't true.... Human DNA gets more and more corrupt with each generation, picking up trash each time...

Think about the engineering that was required to build ancient Rome, the pyramids, aqueducts, even something as recent as Hoover Dam..

Just my 2cents worth,

Gambit242

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:41 pm 
born to perform.

There is no way in hec david blaine is, im a christian and he would be more the devil than jesus. plus, half of his tricks are cheap editing tricks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:53 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Frijid_Pink wrote:
So what! A lot of the people here think David Blaine is Jesus Christ. :lol:

I'd sure like to see J.C. do the healed and sealed soda as good as Blaine. Besides, Blaines got television rights to that one for like 2 years.

What's J.C. got? A recurring spot on South Park. I love the show, but woop-D-do!

Blaine wins hands down.

8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next