View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What do you think about David Blaine's Book?
I bought it and love it 43%  43%  [ 9 ]
I bought it and it's okay 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
I bought it and I'm disappointed 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I want to buy it/read it 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
I will never buy it/read it 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject: Gimmickless Blaine
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:49 pm 
born to perform.

Did anyone notice in David Blaines book (near the beginning) he mentions how he eventually progressed to the point where he didn't use gimmicks anymore. This is strange considering that items like The Raven are clearly endorsed by him. What do you think?

I don't have the book, I only read the beginning in a book store. So if anyone can find it and type it out here, that would be nice of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:20 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I don't have the book either, but he's also used a bite out or folding Quarter, and I think I remember seeing him use a Rising Card Deck. So I guess that statement he made doesn't hold water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:07 pm 
Penguin

The book is pretty decent. It basically touches on things. It mentions various people whom where inspirations to David, as well as some of the history of magic. It talks about some specifics about some of the shows and experiences he had while taping them. He lets you in on his life some...but he tends to keep his character on durring the book. So don't expect to have a lengthy biography of him. As for the part on the gimmicks he is mearly mentioning his outgrowing gimmicked tricks as a whole as his magic developed. Clearly we know he uses gimmicks, but he was mearly commenting on the fact that he started out with self working tricks and then delved into sleight of hand. - Brandon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:16 am 
Penguin

It's bad enough that he expects us to believe his B.S. but when he starts believing it too there is a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:56 am 
Penguin

djmick wrote:
It's bad enough that he expects us to believe his B.S. but when he starts believing it too there is a problem.
i agree :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:13 am 
Penguin

Am I the only one who thinks the part in the book about the old homeless guy comes off strange and/or creepy? First, the whole point of the story seems to be how great and caring a person Blaine is. But then there is the picture of the old guy naked in Blaine's hot tub. That just seems kinda weird to me. Not quite Michael Jackson weird, though ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:54 pm 
born to perform.

yes their was a homeless who might be naked in d.bs bathtube.thats not weird at all.yes the picture is not my favorite in blaines book.but i adnire blaine for takeing some homeless guy in his home,feeding him ,giveing him some food,couple hundreds of dollars, the bath :? and giveing the homeless guy some new close.thats very kind and a good deed.just hope every one could help others in their own way.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:39 pm 
Penguin

MATTTRICK wrote:
yes their was a homeless who might be naked in d.bs bathtube.thats not weird at all.

Really? I can't think of even once that I took a picture of one of my guests while they were in my tub. Maybe I'm the weird one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:31 am 
Penguin

Well I disagree. I think David Blaine did a really awesome christian like deed. And I dont think God thought it was weird, I'm pretty sure he was happy. So if its not wrong in Gods eyes, it is not wrong in mine. He showed the picture, to show us the expression of how happy the guy was, what, you have never seen a naked guy before? C'Mon grow up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:34 am 
born to perform.

Sure it was a nice thing to do, but taking a picture of a homeless guy in a hot tub? That's just a little odd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:23 am 
Penguin

cardmaster0101 wrote:
Well I disagree. I think David Blaine did a really awesome christian like deed. And I dont think God thought it was weird, I'm pretty sure he was happy. So if its not wrong in Gods eyes, it is not wrong in mine. He showed the picture, to show us the expression of how happy the guy was,

Look, I'm not saying helping out some homeless guy wasn't a great thing to do. I'm not trying to that Blaine is some sort of pervert, either. I'm just saying that the picture doesn't show the best of judgment. I'm sure the guy was just as happy at other moments or from another angle.

God didn't need the picture as proof. He also didn't need the account to be published in a book for Blaine to get credit. Blaine did that to get credit for it from us. If Blaine helped the guy out of the goodness of his heart, then great. But if he did it because it would make himself look good in his book, then I'd be less impressed.

cardmaster0101 wrote:
what, you have never seen a naked guy before? C'Mon grow up.

You are mistakenly assuming that I was offended by the picture, which misses my point entirely. If it doesn't seem odd to you, fine. I really didn't set out to convince anyone, but rather I just wanted to find out what other people thought about it.

I find the "grow up" comment ironic, though, since part of growing up is learning what is and isn't appropriate.