View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: i hate david blain,all he uses is trick photography
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:38 pm 
Penguin

yep,i hate him,i think hes the worst magician there is,anyone can make theirself levitate using trick photography,and i know alot of pple will dissagree with me,but i seriously think he is a lously magician :twisted:

-robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:43 pm 
born to perform.

he edits one trick and that is the levetation.

do I sense a bit of jealousy picklefoot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:01 pm 

I can only laugh at statements like that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:15 am 
Penguin

i agree w/bmagic. sure its upsetting, but thats not the only thing he does. and he does everything pretty darn well if you ask me. why else is he having so many specials? theres so many haters, just enjoy it. its entertainment

Post subject: Re: i hate david blain,all he uses is trick photography
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:43 am 
born to perform.

picklefoot2 wrote:
yep,i hate him,i think hes the worst magician there is,anyone can make theirself levitate using trick photography,and i know alot of pple will dissagree with me,but i seriously think he is a lously magician :twisted:

-robert

What do you define as a bad magician? Do you base your opinion on him solely on his levitation bit? Try and master the push-off double as he has done. Try and even start to grasp something like Instant Replay. Try and get your performance level as good as him or better. Try and get your misdirection as good as him. Try and achieve what he has achieved in the past couple of years. Then, come back and say that he is a lousy magician.

I hate it when people like this post these meaningless threads in the forums. (P.S why did you create a thread devoted to this? If you don't like Blaine, you don't need to put it so crudely like this... what a waste of forum space.) I seriously doubt that you are even half as near good as him. Blatantly criticising someone like this who has been in the art, probably, over 2 decades longer than you, (you sound fairly new to magic, and fairly immature at that), someone who has devoted time to refining the art of magic, is ludicrous. Are you as good as him? Why are you looking only at one side of him? Sure, his levitation bit was edited. Who the heck cares if the spectators are entertained?

If you seriously think he is a lousy magician, then I doubt that you are any better than him. You don't even bother to elaborate on why you think that he is lousy, except for the ever-perpetual argument of video editing. It's getting old. He uses (what you call) "trick photography" but at the same time, he is a master of what he does, in my opinion, and in the opinion of many others. His technique is incredible. Go and watch him perform sometime, and see how he can change even something as simple as a DL into pure magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:37 am 

All I have to say is that a lot of the same DB haters on this board are also the same ones posting on the boards and pm-ing me asking for advice on learning basic controls, forces, and cuts.

DB has shown himself to be competent in more than basic sleight of hand, so how can most of us here knock him and call him lousy...LOL. There are probably about 2-5% of Penguins here that are as competent as DB is with magic...if any at all (I know that he can do things that I can't do, and I been at it for 10 years now).

If DB is lousy, then I take it that most of us here are just piss-poor. I mean if he's lousy and can do more than me, what does that make me?

Ironically, it seems to be the far less competent magic guys out there who make statements like "DB is lousy." Most magicians who have at least a basic understanding and respect for the art know they cannot make such an unwarranted and unintelligent statement and still be taken seriously. In other words, I'm willing to bet that picklefoot and other haters (not people who dislike Blaine, but people who make dumb comments about his abilities in magic) are people who can't do even a tiny fraction of what DB does.

So here's my advice to you: Become as competent with magic as DB is and then come back and talk about how "lousy" a magician he is. At least then you can back it up. If you are truly more advanced than he is, you should be a valuable asset to the magic community, and I applaud you and look forward to your future television special.

Or, as you say, since anyone can do what DB does and use camera trickery...then go out, use a bunch of camera tricks and lame effects, and become famous. You act like it's so easy to do, so it should be a piece of cake for ya. I mean, you act as if you don't need any real magical talent to be famous like DB, and I'm quite sure that you meet that criteria. So I look forward to you future fame and contribution to the magic community. You will do much more than DB has done, that's for sure. :roll:

But until that day comes, I'll just have to write you off as another secretly jealous DB hater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:00 am 
born to perform.

i think david blaine is a great talent so what if he edits some of his tricks if you think about it every trick is an edit in its own way. and any way i cant wait to see what new things hes going to come up with on his new show

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:34 am 
Penguin

David Blaine is great. Best performer of magic by a long way in my opinion, plus an excellent magician. So what if some of the stunts are faked for TV, he's still doing great tricks for the people in the show. And so what if most of his tricks aren't his own, I bet you most people here barely perform any of your own tricks, if any at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:51 am 
Penguin

I think David Blaine is an excellent magician AND performer.
it's true to say SOME of his stunts and tricks are gimmicked.
But, he certainly IS very talented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm 
Penguin

ditto to bmagic and ifkwee. they said what i was thinking :) only they said it better than i could

Post subject: blaine is a fraud
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:58 am 
Penguin

well you see he tells you that this is all in your face on the street magic...
then you find out half a levitation is done in a studio with wires and then they show you reactions of spectatores who saw the balducci

i'll tell you, if you claim to do all the magic on the street and even going as far as saying he doesn't use trick photography....well don't lie

he would still have my respect if the levitation that they show the t.v. audiance was the same one he showed to the peaple on the street

any ways thats my 2 cents :evil:

Post subject: Re: blaine is a fraud
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:36 pm 
born to perform.

zantium2999 wrote:
i'll tell you, if you claim to do all the magic on the street and even going as far as saying he doesn't use trick photography....well don't lie

he never said that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:01 pm 
born to perform.

David Blaine is the person who got me interested in magic. I would watch every show of his when it came on. I think that deep down David Blaine has some kind of influence on everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:09 pm 
born to perform.

david was my only influence to start magic, if it wasn't for him I would not be typing this right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:29 pm 
Penguin

db edits out all the tricks that goes wrong like when he does those tricks that just depend on perecentage and statistics. others like david copperfield do it in front of a live audience