View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:31 pm 
Penguin

Thank you NathanJay for pointing that out... I get frustrated when people say Blaine's magic is somehow better because he is out in the streets and Copperfield is on TV and can use camera edits. I encourage those who believe this to go see one of his shows live. I posted on this elsewhere, so I'll just say that it's pretty ridiculous to say Blaine is a lousy magician for all the good reasons mentioned above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:09 pm 
born to perform.

Blaine is a magician, I refer to Copperfield as an illusionist or an actor, all he does is go out on stage and prance around acting like he is doing these great illusions, when in reality it is his people backstage doing EVERYTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:36 pm 
Penguin

Ouch, I hope no stage magicians read that!

But seriously, Cowboy, I think it's a shame that you don't appreciate what Copperfield has to do to get to the point to let the people backstage "do everything." Flying, for example, took him and his team about 15 years to perfect. Why don't you consider stage magic, magic.

And I must remind you that his tour always has some slieght of hand going on... (DC pulled my girlfriend out of the crowd for the Scorpion card trick!) And he did Grandpa's aces almost 500 times for a year for a live audience. That's gutsy close-up. He did card through window before Blaine (and he was on a moving train).

So I guess I'm saying, I hope DC isn't remembered only for stage illusions like Houdini is often only remembered for his escapes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:37 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah What he said....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:39 pm 
born to perform.

Baxter wrote:
Ouch, I hope no stage magicians read that!

But seriously, Cowboy, I think it's a shame that you don't appreciate what Copperfield has to do to get to the point to let the people backstage "do everything." Flying, for example, took him and his team about 15 years to perfect. Why don't you consider stage magic, magic.

And I must remind you that his tour always has some slieght of hand going on... (DC pulled my girlfriend out of the crowd for the Scorpion card trick!) And he did Grandpa's aces almost 500 times for a year for a live audience. That's gutsy close-up. He did card through window before Blaine (and he was on a moving train).

So I guess I'm saying, I hope DC isn't remembered only for stage illusions like Houdini is often only remembered for his escapes...

sure, he does some close-up but the majority of it is stage magic. with flashy lights and smoke and all the works.

Post subject: Opinions: IMO
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:28 am 
Emperor Penguin

Any tricks, be it sleight of hand, misdirection, gimmicks, and camera tricks is magic.

Wether creating an illusion to entertain a crowd on a street, in a theatre, on a computer, at a table, standing accross from you, or on a television, an illusion is an illusion.

It doesn't matter what media it is being brought to an audience on. WHat is important is the presentation, the effect, and in the end, someone saying, how'd you do that?

Look at special effects for instance. From Highlander, Forrest Gump, T2, Back to the Future, Titanic, and Jurrasic Park. The effects in those movies were nothing shy of magic for their time. Some effects still to this day hold their own to modern effects.

In the end, people were saying, "That looked so real, how'd you do that?".

Is that not what magic is all about? To give the illusion that something is happening, that doesn't make sense, that doesn't look possible?

:cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:09 am 
Penguin

sure he use video editing, nut the card tricks that he do is good.
I like those parts of his magic

Post subject: Hi i am new to penguin magic
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:39 am 
Emperor Penguin

Hi everyone i am new here...I am 29 and been doing magic since age 7. I like david alot. He has changed the way I perform magic to a point. He re-defined magic with his walk around street effects. The only thing I did not like at first was, he seemed to lack personality and surprise in his effects, as well as his monotonical voice. I was always use to seeing magicians being very cheerful,vibrant, and surprised by their own works. I looked deeper, and saw the genius of his act. How he portrays his effects as demonic, and wants to freak you out.

Making the audience no longer think of you as a magician doing a trick, but a real miracle worker right in front you in plain clothes. Trick that comes to mind: After the girl wrote the name down(chris) on the pad, and it appeared at the conclusion of the effect on his stomach burnt in ashes, he puts his hand on her chest and says, "he will always be there for you" looking intently in her eyes...that was amazing showmanship, whether that effect was legit or setup.

You could tell as he turned away half smiling he was proud of the work he just done. Yes i saw the edits of the levitation, as well as the tongue pierce, but i also saw his sheer slight of hand and amazing misdirection ability in a street full of thugs. He is a very calm and cool customer out there. Yes he does lack build up in some effects, as well as seeming surprised, and also rushing some tricks too much, but overall he is a great performer and showman. Very proficient with cards, and for any sleights he lacks in, he makes up for in misdirection.

With tv, editing is always gonna be there, and you will never know for sure what is real or set up, however you can see when great slight of hand and manipulation is being done. Only advanced magicians will see it and appreciate it, cuz they been down that road of countless hours of practice for one little sleight as i have many many hours. I enjoyed the card jump between the aces as an example, after the one hand cut. I have pulled it off, but it is not easy. Also we all have our own ways, and methods. Sometimes i perform exactly like him, and it is fun. Especially when you just look at someone blank then walk away. lol I don't really care for his endurance feats, as long as he is showing his walk around magic the way it was meant to be. he showed that good old classic magic never dies, and is possible in any conditions.

Well i posted long enough for a first post, but that is my 2 cents. this is the first non first person shooter i ever posted in, as well as my first magic forum, and i been doing magic 22 years on and off lol. Thanks penguin, and i hope to be a long term customer :) first trick ordered: card-toon 2... I am looking forward to elaborating more on this great art! :wink:

Post subject: actually cowboy...wrong
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:52 am 
Penguin

yes he does say he doeesn't use trick photogrphy he says it when he is talking to Leonardo Decaprio
(i know wrong speeling but whatever)

i just hate peaple that say one thing and then do the other :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:42 am 
Penguin

David Blaine is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:55 pm 
born to perform.

why the jealousy zantium???

why don't you keep practicing and practicing until you are as good as blaine, and then you won't have to be jealous anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:34 pm 
Penguin

if u r so much better then david blaine, go to nbc, get a show and make 6 million dollars in a year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:59 pm 
Penguin

David Copperfield was my idol in my youth. Sure, he does stage illusions that aren't right in your face, but so many of them look so freakin impossible! The fan illusion where he turns into smoke and instantly appears way out in the audience... that had to be some mad-dashing skill. He's an immaculate performer... and that's really all that matters.

As to David Blaine... he's really got that whole aura of mystery about him... which sometimes I feel he overplays... but again, he's an immaculate performer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:54 pm 
born to perform.

jeff_travilla wrote:
David Copperfield was my idol in my youth. Sure, he does stage illusions that aren't right in your face, but so many of them look so freakin impossible! The fan illusion where he turns into smoke and instantly appears way out in the audience... that had to be some mad-dashing skill. He's an immaculate performer... and that's really all that matters.

As to David Blaine... he's really got that whole aura of mystery about him... which sometimes I feel he overplays... but again, he's an immaculate performer.

they are great in their very own genres.
Copperfield I used to like, before he started trying this corny comedy stuff.
And Blaine has that mysterious stare.

Post subject: Blaine
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:44 pm 
Penguin

It takes all kinds of magicians. Everyone's style is different. Blaine found a niche... find yours, picklefoot. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next