View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blaine's Security
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:56 am 
Penguin

Don't know if anyone else has seen it, but in the UK newpapers this morning they are reporting that security is being stepped-up around Blaine, because for the 2 days and 10 hours he's been in the box, people have been throwing eggs, golf balls, etc at him. 50% of me chuckled when I read that because he's got 42 days of that left to endure, and 50% of me feels sorry for him because... well.... he's got 42 days of that left to endure :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:57 pm 
Penguin

Yeah, it's true...
and apparently they are keeping him awake at night by banging loud drums and shouting.... :twisted:
No, you're right, I feel sorry for him...
I went to see him on Friday night...Are you going to see him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:35 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Sounds like the people across the pond don't care for Blaine very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:29 am 
Penguin

AnthonyT wrote:
Yeah, it's true...
and apparently they are keeping him awake at night by banging loud drums and shouting.... :twisted:
No, you're right, I feel sorry for him...
I went to see him on Friday night...Are you going to see him?

Definately, but I live in Edinburgh and have a deadline approaching at work at the moment, but as soon as my commitments are out of the way I'm going down to London to see him. Magicweek.co.uk have put a map on the site so people know exactly where to go to see him, pretty cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:30 am 
Penguin

Frijid_Pink wrote:

I honestly don't know why they're giving him such a hard time, but then again - he's got 44 days of it so I figure that people will get bored and leave him alone after the novelty has worn off. At least I hope so, for his sake!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:01 am 
Penguin

Frijid_Pink wrote:

Sorry to say that there's mixed opinions here 'across the pond'.

The public AND the magic fraternity are in mixed resolve over whether Blaine is a genius or a lunatic.

His build up as a 'Master Magician' is also under question, as most of the illusions he performs are stunts of fakirism and endurance - there's nothing magicial about them.

Unfortunately here in the UK, we've spawned a nation of 'Blaine-ites', youngsters growing up believing that magic involves biting into coins, maming your body and pushing your it to the brink of death.

Admittedly - his early street magic and style were awesome - and he was certainly the founder of a 'new breed' - but he had to go that one step further and his ego has taken over.

His 'Messiah' acts (being buried and resurrected? fasting for 40 days and 40 nights?) have done nothing for his appeal here in the UK, where we're not so taken in by such 'miracles' as the 'PEOPLE ACROSS THE POND'.

I've personally chosen to ignore the media coverage of the Above and Below 'stunt'. Blaine bores me with his 'dopey' and drugged up depth - I can't stand it. Yes, we know he had a rough childhood - yes we KNOW he's rich - a business genius.

But he IS pretty boring. The abuse and bad mouthing being exhibited is not uncommon behaviour exhibited by people towards the Village Idiot... and I'm afraid that's the treatment he's got to expect.

I don't pity him at all... If I decided to dance naked with a tattoo of bugs bunny on my rear through your Times Square - I'd expect mockery too.

What does he expect??? What he's doing is irresponsible.

Yes, I know it's caused a 'reaction', and he's on the cover of every newspaper on the planet. But consider this: so was Saddam Hussein - and it didn't make HIM a better person or mean he was a genius, did it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:34 am 
Emperor Penguin

Believe me seige, the same mixed opinions of Blaine exist on this side of the pond as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:58 am 
Penguin

I'm glad to hear it. I was hoping I was not going to get flamed for bad mouthing 'the master'.

The truth is, it's being forced down our throats - and the consensus here seems to be 'if you don't like it, don't watch it'. And then, he makes the papers again by 'chopping' his ear off...

I know, it's all publicity, and I'm in the marketing industry - so I know how to sell things - but the guy has lost so much of his hard-earned credibility by his recent actions...

He's got a great street-style - his card magic is clear and concise, and he's accomplished at sleight of hand and a master of misdirection... but the avenue he's now treading goes beyond all that.

There's a certain price for fame - why does he feel the need to always better himself? Even the Guinness Book of Records has denied him entry for his 44 day solitary confinement stunt, because they don't condone this kind of behaviour.

The buried alive was tolerable - Houdini-esque. The Vertigo stunt was admirable - a display of control and self-awareness. The iceman stunt started getting crazy - but now, with this stunt - it's sheer madness.

The guy didn't need to go this far. He'd already gained a position as one of the highest profile magic performers WAY before his mad stunts - being sort after by stars and celebrities.

His reasons are beyond me - but what's the point in all the fame and fortune if you've got to torture yourself to do it.

The medical implications - such as the body eating away at organs & muscle, bone wasting, mental disturbance etc... what's it all about?

And what next? Is he going to kill himself to see if he can meet God, and then return to life and tell us about the angels???

It's beyond entertainment now. His onlookers are not fans, they are morbidly curious about where his poo is going - or if he's in pain, or if he'll die... or if, as the doctors are expecting, the 'skin will split on his bones' and 'he'll become irrational and hallucinate'. It's awful. It's sick.

He's made a brash statement quoting MLK, about 'having something worth dying for'. If he believed in all his bravado - he'd realise that he's been given not only the gift of life - but the gift of being able to entertain - and he's sorely abusing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:14 pm 
born to perform.

Biting remarks and I myself am quite conflicted......Master Magician or death wish moron.....I can't decide......

Post subject: Here is the story from AOL
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:21 pm 
Penguin

Some Londoners aren't being cricket when it comes to illusionist David
Blaine, who since Friday has been suspended from a crane in a glass box over the River Thames.

His goal is to remain there for 44 days without food. But since his suspension, the illusionist, 30, has been pelted with such objects as golf balls, teased with the smell of fish and chips and awakened by a man banging a drum, according to published reports.

Police tell Reuters that officers were called in late Monday night to deal
with one man who was throwing eggs at Blaine's box.

"The man was given a stern talking to. But he was not arrested," a police
spokesman said.

Perhaps part of Blaine's problem is that he's said to be causing additional
traffic problems to London's already clogged streets, with drivers crossing the city's Tower Bridge slowing down to take a look at him.

Then again, perhaps the New York-born Blaine's American ingenuity in devising the stunt loses something in its translation on the other side of the Atlantic.

"We were watching him at home on TV, and it was really dull so, we thought we would come down and liven things up," impromptu drummer Shiraz Azam, 21, told London's Evening Standard Monday.

"I wanted to wake him up."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:02 pm 
born to perform.

Talk about hecklers.. :roll: :shock: Yeesh.

Post subject: I love it.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:55 pm 
Penguin

Blaine is great for magic! People talk, they want to know, they want to be amazed, scared, thrilled, and amused.

Stunts build mindshare. Houdini knew it. A stunt always proceeded a show to fire up the marketing and press folks. It packs seats. In the case of Blaine, it will translate to ratings for his upcoming special.

Most importantly, it helps him to build a brand as "magic" or "super human". "OOOHHHH he must really have mystic powers! He has such control over his mind and body! How can he do it?" Cool. The crowds eat it up.

Yeah, we can do most of his tricks, but I say BRAVO, DAVE!

Another topic.....CURSE THE MASKED MAGICIAN OF STREET MAGIC!!!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:18 pm 
Penguin

no offense to blaine, but i find nothing too special about this new stunt except for the fact that he's doing this volutarilly. it's not uncommon for a beligerent inmate in a high security prison to be sentenced to a couple weeks to a few months of solitary confinement. it's been done before, and i'm sure he wouldnt attempt it without knowing he can live through it. of course he's gonna say he might die, it makes it that much cooler. its all a show. don't get upset. sit back and wait for the US coverage on ABC. I only watch those for the clips of street magic he does anyway. the stunt is just another comercial break to me.
-OMJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:59 pm 
born to perform.

I read that some guy was skinny dipping in the river right under his box.LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:18 pm 
Penguin

Just read a report saying that folk have been shining those "laser pens" at him to irritate him, and someone flew a radio-controlled helicopter up to his box with a freshly made beefburger tied to it!