View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Paul Harris Presents...Little Man
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:36 pm 
born to perform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=132RUk10LFk

Anyone been paying attention to this??

I think it's a pretty cool effect, but I don't know if I think it's worth anywhere near $300.

I'd like to hear you guys' opinions on this effect.

Post subject: Re: Paul Harris Presents...Little Man
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:51 pm 
born to perform.

I agree... it seems like a pretty cool effect, though I wouldn't spend 300 bucks on it (if I won it though I wouldn't say no) I have a vague idea as to how it MIGHT work, which would explain the price... just not my cup of tea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:54 pm 
born to perform.

Yah, it seems to me like it would be one of those things that would be cool to have, but I don't know how practical it would be.

Maybe if I happen upon $300 just randomly, I'll pick it up. Or maybe if they release a version that's not a "Limited Edition" for substantially less.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:33 am 
Emperor Penguin

I have watched this since it came out, and I found it very intriguing. I mean you are building a figure from scratch that appears to come to life and do something, and then can be given away. This would be a hit at many venues and kids would love it. However it is not very affordable for many and there are very few if any reviews out there, and I for one would not risk that much money for something that I am not sure I could or would use.

I would like to see some full performances too besides just the sketchy demo. If the effect is as good as it looks at least the price would stop many others except professionals from doing it, and you won't see kids exposing this on Youtube. Only problem is there is not enough out there to make an accurate decision to make any kind of judgment. So basically it is a shot in the dark for one little effect. Paul Harris has a good track record too so that makes it even more difficult not to want this.

Last edited by sirbrad on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:38 am 
born to perform.

sirbrad wrote:
I have watched this since it came out, and I found it very intriguing. I mean you are building a figure from scratch that appears to come to life and do something, and then can be given away. This would be a hit at many venues and kids would love it. However it is not very affordable for many if any reviews out there, and I for one would not risk that much money for something that I am not sure I could or would use.

I would like to see some full performances too besides just the sketchy demo. If the effect is as good as it looks at least the price would stop many others except professionals from doing it, and you won't see kids exposing this on Youtube. Only problem is there is not enough out there to make an accurate decision to make any kind of judgment. So basically it is a shot in the dark for one little effect. Paul Harris has a good track record too so that makes it even more difficult not to want this.

Yah, the fact that it is up there a bit more in price really limits the people that would expose it, which is good...but it also limits the people that would be willing to do reviews on it, which might not be so good.

I agree that it looks really cool. Maybe I'll just pony up the cash and buy one. At the very least I could probably say that I own an effect that not many people have.

I have a couple of effects from "Paul Harris Presents." I enjoy them quite a bit. I'm sure this one would be the same, I just don't know if I want to spend $300 on it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:15 pm 
Penguin

It's not out yet, that's probably the biggest reason for no reviews. I think the Harris' got pretty burnt by the hype/backlash at the original demo video that not much has been said since. They probably want to get it perfect before it's seen again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:50 pm 
born to perform.

I would have to agree with the consensus. $300 is an awful steep price for a single effect. If it were a system that allowed for many animations it might be worth another look but I'll have to wait for a review to find out if that is the deal. As it is there are several "Voodoo doll" annimations that can be done with an M5 system. No you can't leave the room with an M5 setup but a very similar effect could be produced. To me it will come down to how the laity percieves it. A magician could look at "Little Man" and say that it is far superior to any of my Voodoo doll annimations but I think the lay audiance would just remember that a doll/figurine moved.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:56 pm 
born to perform.

its been out for a while in other places, but not on penguin. Looks ok, but its super expensive.!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:16 pm 
born to perform.

keepitbottled wrote:
its been out for a while in other places, but not on penguin. Looks ok, but its super expensive.!!

Are you sure it's out??

On his site, it clearly says: "This Item Is Not Released Yet."

http://paulharrispresents.webs.com/apps ... how/834064

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:21 am 
born to perform.

I don't think it was meant for us. (a few exceptions) Akira will probobly get it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:38 am 
Emperor Penguin

Who is "us?" I think it was meant for "magicians" and more easily afforded by professionals. But just because I can afford an effect does not mean I will waste money on junk. So I like to read a lot of reviews first.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:57 am 
born to perform.

I guess I also don't really know what is meant by "us."

I'm an amateur...hobbyist...whatever you want to call it. And I have an effect that cost me well over $150. Another $150 isn't that large of a stretch for me...but like SirBrad, I would like to hear some reviews about it before I cough up $300 plus shipping for an effect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:51 am 
born to perform.

I also would love to have this. But for 300.00 big ones I need some solid reviews.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:59 am 
born to perform.

You'll never be able to perform this thing in real life... it takes a ton of time to set up and it's pretty obvious that it's just a trick (the shoes thing and everything) and plus your hands get really oily after you mess around with clay so you wouldn't be able to do anything else after this trick.
I wouldn't buy it for magic purposes, maybe just for something to own because it's cool but the price is too high anyway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:24 am 
Penguin

daniel116 wrote:
You'll never be able to perform this thing in real life... it takes a ton of time to set up and it's pretty obvious that it's just a trick (the shoes thing and everything) and plus your hands get really oily after you mess around with clay so you wouldn't be able to do anything else after this trick.
I wouldn't buy it for magic purposes, maybe just for something to own because it's cool but the price is too high anyway

If you're a magician, what's wrong with doing something that's obviously a trick? Most of what we do the audience knows is "obviously a trick". What else would they expect from a magician? Find the right venue (an intimate parlor setting or something of the like) and I think this could be incredible. What set-up are you referring to that takes a ton of time? If you're referring to the set up of molding the figure I have to respectfully disagree. Done while telling a story of God's creation of man or perhaps Dr. Frankenstein's obsession to create life from lifeless matter, I think this could turn into a brillaint performance piece.
If you're referring to the time it would take to set-up before this begins, I have no idea what that entails but the description said this resets in 2-3 minutes so I'm guessing it's not a lengthy set-up.
As for oily hands....I think a wet nap or two would suffice to help you clean up.
It is expensive though, which as some others pointed out can be a good thing. It will help protect the illusion's secrets and those willing to pay the high price are far less likely to expose it.