View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HELP!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:04 am 
Penguin

As someone reasonably new to magic, I want to know more. I've put down about 5 forums on the general discussion page all trying to answer the same question. How to be a magician. Alot of people say that reading books is the way to go, so I tried that but they all say the same thing and is all quite pointless. Being 12, not often I get to buy from the Penguin Magic site as the books are quite expensive for me. In the forums I have asked how to be a magician and a fare few have said that I should just go out there and do it. I don't really think that suits my age. I have learnt alot but most of that knowledge is tricks and bits of imformation that I can't quite understand. I keep thinking to myself that I want to be a early/young professional because I would like to do childrens shows, and when I get older start doing the more bigger stuff.

So as I was saying earlier, I can't really purchase books that easily but I do have the ability to teach myself. I think I need to hear how other people started and what I can do to teach myself.

I really need this help, so please give it to me.

Post subject: Re: HELP!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:37 am 
Penguin

What do you think a magician is ?
Its like asking "How do i be an artist?" What do you mean ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:39 am 
born to perform.

Ya, that's kind of like saying "how do you become a pilot". In one thread you can't really say how to fly a plane. The same thing goes for magic.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:31 am 
Penguin

For your age, get a magic set. It'll give you a good intro into several magic principles, and some of them come with some pretty good stuff. They seem to be including thumb tips in magic sets these days as well. Practice with it, and work on your presentation; it's presentation that makes for a good show.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:50 am 
born to perform.

goebees wrote:
As someone reasonably new to magic, I want to know more. I've put down about 5 forums on the general discussion page all trying to answer the same question. How to be a magician. Alot of people say that reading books is the way to go, so I tried that but they all say the same thing and is all quite pointless. Being 12, not often I get to buy from the Penguin Magic site as the books are quite expensive for me. In the forums I have asked how to be a magician and a fare few have said that I should just go out there and do it. I don't really think that suits my age. I have learnt alot but most of that knowledge is tricks and bits of imformation that I can't quite understand. I keep thinking to myself that I want to be a early/young professional because I would like to do childrens shows, and when I get older start doing the more bigger stuff.

So as I was saying earlier, I can't really purchase books that easily but I do have the ability to teach myself. I think I need to hear how other people started and what I can do to teach myself.

I really need this help, so please give it to me.

Believe it or not, you know the answers - they're in your post. You don't become a magician overnight, you need to do three things. Study, Practice and Perform.
Study - The information you're looking for isn't gonna jump into your lap for free. Save up some money and buy Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic book. Its around 20 dollars but its HUGE. It's packed with all the stuff you need and it will keep you busy for a while. You can find it in some regular bookstores or its on here - http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S3603
Its a great place to start. If you can't afford it, ask for it for you birthday, or do a paper round, whatever...unfortunately, magic isn't free; get used to it.
Practice - This is incredibly important. Gather up three or four of you absolute favorite tricks and practice. Practice, practice, practice. Come up with what you're going to say while you do the tricks and get them ready.
Perform - Show people. This is the best learning experience you can get. Start off by just showing your family and friends, then go from there. Sooner or later you'll have friends of friends asking you to show them something. Don't worry about going professional just yet, you've got a fair way to go. Just start small - Study, Practice and Perform.
Have fun,
Rev.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:55 pm 
Penguin

Can you tell us what you have read? Books, especially, really don't say the same thing...even books on theory say many different things and emphasize different points.

Another thing you can try is simply watch other [good] magicians do their thing. I've always enjoyed watching the likes of David Williamson and Bill Malone - great inspiration!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:30 pm 
Penguin

I dont know how good my advice is, and i think the rest of these guys got ya covered, but here it goes anyway.

First of all, magic IS AN ART. It is something that takes a LONG TIME to even get okay at. As the example used before... You dont become a artist overnight. You dont become a pilot overnight. You dont even become a brain surgeon overnight (be kinda scary =P). Magic is something that takes time, money, more time, performing, more time, messing up, more time, and even more time. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, It takes practice at home in front of the mirror, and practicing for your friends and family.

Now, to answer your question... seeing you are 12, with an ambition to start magic, I would start small. Books and DVDs are both a great way to start. If you cant afford them, go out and do some yardwork, and snow shoveling (if applicable), and make a bit of money for yourself. I promise that you will not regret it.

Second, look for books AT YOUR LIBRARY!!! There is A LOT of tricks that will fit into one book.

Third, save up for a cheap magic set. It does not necessarily have to be a KID'S MAGIC SET. I can tell by your post that that is not what you want. Penguin has a lot of great cheap products that you can get for decently cheap.

Last edited by sumobear08 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:00 pm 
born to perform.

sumobear08 wrote:
Now, to answer your question... seeing you are 12, with an ambition to start magic, I would start small. Use your search engine, and find some easy free magic tricks. Here is an awesome sight that EVEN I refer to at times. It is called EDITED You will find a lot of simple tricks, that even some professional magicians use!

I'm going to have to wholeheartedly disagree with this advice. Googling for secrets is a VERY bad place to start and will not give you the right beginning. If anything it will get you into bad habits.
@sumobear The site you linked to is unethical. In a matter of seconds I was able to find the exposure and incorrect crediting of a marketed effect without permission from it's creator. I have removed it from the quote of your post in the hope that you (or a mod) will do the same. You refer to magic as an art, let's respect its artists.
Rev.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:07 pm 
Penguin

revelation77 wrote:
sumobear08 wrote:
Now, to answer your question... seeing you are 12, with an ambition to start magic, I would start small. Use your search engine, and find some easy free magic tricks. Here is an awesome sight that EVEN I refer to at times. It is called EDITED You will find a lot of simple tricks, that even some professional magicians use!

I'm going to have to wholeheartedly disagree with this advice. Googling for secrets is a VERY bad place to start and will not give you the right beginning. If anything it will get you into bad habits.
@sumobear The site you linked to is unethical. In a matter of seconds I was able to find the exposure and incorrect crediting of a marketed effect without permission from it's creator. I have removed it from the quote of your post in the hope that you (or a mod) will do the same. You refer to magic as an art, let's respect its artists.
Rev.

ouch. Sorry about that. I can definitely see your point. I apologize. Better stick with books. =) Will edit out that part.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:14 am 
Penguin

Just thought I'd let you know (those of you who recommended a magic set), about a year ago, I went to a magic shop and asked the guy there what tricks I should purchase. He questioned me on my magic. He then showed me a couple of tricks which I purchased and he also told me from the progress i was at to not bother with a magic set as I would find it a little too easy (not learning from it). If you recommend the more advanced ones then could you please give me a link to them.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:31 am 
born to perform.

I'd recommend purchasing books if your not interested in magic sets. I'd like to point out that he was most likely referring to a specific magic set, and if you look around Penguin your bound to find a number of different ones, but if not;

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S3603

Bobo's Modern Coin Magic (if you like coins): http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=535

Royal Road to Card Magic (if you like cards): http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=573

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:42 am 
Penguin

If typical magic sets are "too easy," I suggest making your own.

To include:
1. Bobo's modern coin magic. Yes, it's a book. It's the bible of coin magicians. If you ever want to do stuff with coins, this is what you want.
2. A few decks of bicycle cards. As for tricks, look for "fastest card trick in the world," and "best card trick in the world." You might also try "do as I do," and a "card stab."
3. A stripper deck. It'll come with instructions.
4. TT(s). I use vernet soft tips myself.
5. Sponge balls
6. Magic billiard balls.
7. Linking Rings.
8. Rope (Professor's nightmare)

Some of these, though, will be expensive. I suggest getting modern coin magic first, then practicing those card tricks. After that, thumb tips, and beyond that, your discretion. The modern coin magic, decks, and thumb tips, are a very good value, you get many tricks for what you spend.
You will have to spend, though. If you lack money, I suggest doing chores for more allowance, or maybe delivering newspapers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:28 am 
Penguin

It sounds to me like the major problem you are having is likely due to your age. "Say the same thing?" I can guarentee that the knowledge you learn from the books you read are way more valuable than what you will get anywhere else (At least this rings true for me).

When I started out doing magic, I was around 14 years old. I had gotten alot of the cheaper magic affects that you can find in the toy isle, but thesedidn't seem fun to me. They seemed to lack any kind of skill to do and were really "see-through". My grandparents saw my interest and got me a magic video (Michale Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles Vol 2). I mastered about ever trick in the video. I then got more volumes of these videos, and money videos, some stage props like linking rings, confetti cup, anything I could get my hands on. I wanted to try everything, but truth is most of this stuff just sat in a tub and never got used. I stuck with close up card magic because I had a plentiful audience at school.

Now that I have started learning over again I have relied much more heavily on reading books and learning more of the performance aspect of magic. I learn technical knowledge of sleights rather than the various effects used with slights.

At your young age, magic is going to seem hard, and daunting. There is ALOT to learn and everyone wants to take the fast track when there is no fast track. If you want to be good at anything in life, you need to be dedicated to it and be determined enough to work through the pit falls. There is no guide with steps to follow to get you where you want, since being a professional magician is more about expressing your views on magic to your audience and being an artist. If you need direction ask yourself, "What do I want? What do I need to do to get there? What prevents me from accomplishing these goals and how do I correct that issue?"

What everyone says is true though, getting out there and actually performing this stuff is what's going to give you a base from which to work on. What I would suggest for you is to go to the magic shop (Like you have done before) and get a few gimicks to play with. I'd suggest things like invisible deck, scotch and soda, and anything else that you think will be fun to perform. Also have a book that you can slowly work through to keep yourself learning new sleights and new material. Books I would suggest are Card College, Bobo's Book of Modern Coin Magic, 13 Steps to Mentalism, and Strong Magic (Read this one when you are ready to focus on things like character, style, and making your own routines).

Another thing you may want to consider if you are really serious is finding a magician that can give you lessons. He's been through the process of becoming a professional and can likely guide you on your way.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:39 am 
Penguin

Hi, you are at the starting point of a fun and rewarding activity. Magic is great fun for the magician and his friends/spectators.

1) If there is a local International Brotherhood of Magicians (IBM) club or Society of American Magicians (SAM) club. Please join. You will learn so much from the people you meet there and get practiced at performing in front of others. The members will help you with your magic and teach you. Go to the websites of these two organizations and find the closest chapter.
2) As said in so many ways before get a few books to start, read them slowly, and practice what tricks you like. Two to three books is enough for now (J B Bobo Modern Coin Magic, Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic are a great place to start)
3) Pick 3 or 4 tricks that you like, practice them and perform them over and over in front of your family and the local club.

Have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:54 am 
Penguin

Joining your local magician's club (IBM) is a great idea and they can offer you lots of practical help (Good advice MarkJarvis). Just be careful that you don't make fellow magician's your target audience. You want to be able to perform for lay people.

-ArchAngel_G