View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chop by Craig Petty
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:43 am 
born to perform.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2493

YES! I've been waiting for our favorite bird to pick this up.

Craig Petty has finally released a routine which has been his closer for over 2 years.

A signed bill and a regular cup are used to perform the most stunning 7 phase Chop Cup style routine you will ever see. To finish, a real lemon appears and the bill is visibly pushed into the lemon, leaving your hands empty. At this point the lemon can be examined before it is cut open to reveal the spectators signed bill inside - KILLER!

* Only one balled up note used throughout the entire Chop Cup routine
* Regular cup that can be examined at any time by the audience
* Perform moves you couldn't dream of doing with a regular Chop Cup
* Use any table surface or even the spectator's hand - perfect for real world conditions

Includes a special bonus routine 'Sharp' using a Sharpie Marker which is the perfect lead in to CHOP or a great stand alone effect.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from the Cafe;
I watched Craig dem this at Blackpool, there are some really great visual moments in the routine which are impossible to do with a standard chop cup. I like the fact that you can use any cup.

The lemon load looks great, they really can check out the lemon before it's cut open. When I was at the stand Craig wasn't quite set, a few seconds later he was ready to go, great for the worker.
Gary Jones.

Post subject: Re: Chop by Craig Petty
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:34 pm 
born to perform.

I don't know nor do I care who this Craig Petty is but I'll tell you this: I hate "magicians" who don't give credit where credit is due.
Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXH88rbIawg

Yeah, The Braue pop-up move has been my closer in ACR routines for over 2 years, I think I'll release a DVD about it and claim it my own, what do you say?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:04 pm 
born to perform.

daniel116 wrote:
I don't know nor do I care who this Craig Petty is but I'll tell you this: I hate "magicians" who don't give credit where credit is due.
Watch this:

Yeah, The Braue pop-up move has been my closer in ACR routines for over 2 years, I think I'll release a DVD about it and claim it my own, what do you say?

Petty is usually kind of a crediting nut. Though I don't have chop I would assume that in the DVD he does, in fact, give credit where credit is due. Also I believe this version is a signed bill not a torn corner....

edit: Yep it is indeed a signed bill not a torn corner. Just re-watched the demo. I appreciate your efforts to keep the magic community honest....just pay closer attention in the future.

cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:42 pm 
Penguin

Well if you did know craig you would know he's gone on quite a bit about crediting, and John Carney's fruit cup had also been discussed by him over at the magic cafe.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 18&start=0
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
On 2011-02-18 23:13, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Craig -

How does this compare and differ with Carney's classic Fruit Cup routine?

Thanks,
- Maxfield

Just got back from Blackpool, what a crazy weekend! I think I brought every lemon from every shop in Blackpool.

I'll come on later and address a lot of the questions but just wanted to address this one now. John Carneys routine was a new one to me, I've just dig out my copy of Carneycopia and had a read - great routine! Chop differs in many ways -

1 - The bill is signed whilst in fruit cup it is not

2 - You can prep a lemon in 10 seconds for this routine meaning if you are in a bar you can borrow a lemon and do it on the fly. I have a feeling John's routine would take a longer prep time

3 - There is a gimmick with the Chop routine which means you are not relying on just sleight of hand. The gimmick allows some very clean moments including being able to do the whole routine in s spectators hand and not use a table.

Just so you know, the bill can go anywhere not just a lemon. So you can use the chop gimmick to do your existing chop cup routine with a regular cup and after the final load produce the bill from anywhere.

Having said all that Mr Carney's routine is fantastic and well worth looking at. If you haven't read Carneycopia you will love it - I've just revisited it while researching Fruit Cup and I forgot how much good magic there is in there.

Craig

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:49 pm 
born to perform.

I take my words back, I judged the guy from the penguin product page.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:23 pm 
born to perform.

Look up the Wizard Product Review if you want to know some more about Craig Petty. Basically it's a magic trick review show that's quite entertaining. His stuff along with his parter David Penn's is pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:02 pm 
born to perform.

tiggerkim wrote:
His stuff along with his parter David Penn's is pretty good.

Though I agree with you...I'm not sure the penguin Artist agrees.....
Attachment:
cp.jpg
cp.jpg [ 104.05 KiB | Viewed 1875 times ]

Attachment:
cp2.jpg
cp2.jpg [ 38.3 KiB | Viewed 1875 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:15 pm 
Penguin

lol. Perhaps the artist wasn't sure how to spell Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:28 am 
born to perform.

Lol i think Acar is the one who draws all that stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:03 pm 
born to perform.

This looks AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!

-JT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:28 pm 
Penguin

keepitbottled wrote:
Lol i think Acar is the one who draws all that stuff.

Really? Multi Personas & Multi Talented!

This is definitely on my wish list, but with Masterfile and such, I have already spent a bit this year, not sure when I will be able to justify the purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:24 am 

When I read Bathtub's quote from the green place I incurred the wrath of the True Boss and bought the effect. When she finds out I', in deep yogurt. According to my account they shipped it out on Fri, April Fool's Day, so I am waiting for it. As soon as I get it and learn it I will review this effect. It looks VERY GOOD, hope it half as good as it looks.

Paddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:48 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
When I read Bathtub's quote from the green place I incurred the wrath of the True Boss and bought the effect. When she finds out I', in deep yogurt. According to my account they shipped it out on Fri, April Fool's Day, so I am waiting for it. As soon as I get it and learn it I will review this effect. It looks VERY GOOD, hope it half as good as it looks.

Paddy

Will be VERY interested to know what you think.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:34 pm 
Team Penguin

eostresh wrote:
daniel116 wrote:
Watch this:

Petty is usually kind of a crediting nut. Though I don't have chop I would assume that in the DVD he does, in fact, give credit where credit is due.

cheers!

I doubt it; he states "fruit cup is new to him" so I really don't think it would be credited on the DVD.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:28 pm 
born to perform.

Popchris wrote:
I doubt it; he states "fruit cup is new to him" so I really don't think it would be credited on the DVD.

Saborfang...if you follow the history of the posts I'm sure all your questions will be answered. One of my favorite card magicians openly admits that he doesn't read a lot of other peoples material. This allows him to come up with many very clever and creative solutions to problems that others miss because they are too entrenched in other peoples ideas. Never the less he credits when he is aware that a credit is due and openly states that if someone finds a technique that he describes, but has been published elsewhere, they are free to e-mail him and his will post a credit on his website. Daniel Madison creates his material in good faith and I'm sure Craig Petty does as well. You would have to be a freak of magic encyclopedia knowledge not to miss a credit every once in a while. Doesn't mean these guys are trying to steal other peoples material.

Bill in lemon- not unique to Petty or Carney
Bill as the ball in a chop cut- not unique to Petty or Carney
Adding two plus two- not unique to Petty or Carney
Sounds as if one is a sleight of hand only with a torn corner and the other is a gimmick assisted routine with a signed bill. There you have it....which one do you prefer? That choice should lead you towards a purchase of either Carneycopia or Chop. Knowing the quality of John Carney's material I'd say it is the best dollar value.