View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: It's interesting what you specs remember
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:28 am 
born to perform.

So I thought I'd share this with you all. The other day I moved into my dorm and met my roommates. One of them had found out I was a magician beforehand and asked me to do one "crazy trick that will blow my mind". I went into my room and brought out Jay Sankey's In A Flash. After I performed the trick he freaked out, as expected and that was it. Or so I thought. Last night he invited a friend over so I could do a trick for him and I heard him tell his friend about In a Flash. This is what he said:

"Ok so he brought out a deck of cards and asked if he could borrow a marker and a coin. I went into my room and brought them out and he had me sign the coin and then choose any card. ANY CARD. He then had me put it into the deck and he shuffled it. Legit shuffles too, not BS shuffles. Then he placed the deck in the box, THE DECK IN THE BOX and wrapped my coin in tissue paper and placed it on the box. He then set the tissue on fire and my coin FELL THROUGH THE DECK ON MY CARD!"

I found this super interesting as half of these things didn't happen. I placed the card in the deck, not him. I did not shuffle the cards. It was my sharpie, and he forgot he signed a card as well.

Just thought you all might be interested in what a layperson remembers.

Post subject: Re: It's interesting what you specs remember
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:44 am 
born to perform.

In David Regal's book "Constant Fooling", he has a trick where the deck is shuffled many times by the spectator and you correctly predict the top card.

Before the reveal of your prediction you say something along the lines of (I don't have the book next to me at the moment) "You cut and shuffled the deck, and you cut and shuffled the deck and you did too...."

In reality, the spectators NEVER cut the deck and the presentation makes it sound as if endless cuts and shuffles were made.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:50 am 
born to perform.

http://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/e ... emory.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:03 pm 
Penguin

Years ago when I was doing the Balducci levitation for friends and family (before it had been exposed everywhere), I had one or two people who swore that I had risen a foot off the ground. The video tape for the trick said that when you come back down to the ground, to turn to the person and hold your hands a foot apart and ask "how high did I get?", the idea being that it would reinforce that you got much higher off the ground than you actually did. I'll be damned if it didn't actually work!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:16 pm 
Penguin

I've performed the Cou test (Not sure the exact name) and had people swear up and down they saw me place their card on the table. Never once do they notice they only saw the back.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:24 pm 
born to perform.

Cool stuff, guys. I agree that spectators will build up what "they saw". Neat psychological stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:51 pm 
Penguin

Sometimes when I perform the Invisible Deck, people forget that they told me their card. I guess it's in my presentation because I reinforce visualizing the card over and over after I casually ask them.